Q&A (questions and answers) - Head-Fi TV, Episode 005
May 18, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #61 of 68

Quote:

+10 pls  :)   Already have a denon ah-d7000 and planning to get the DT1350 as portable for vocals....but looking for another portable dj-style headphone with lotsa good bass.  Let's be honest.  Want a headphone that has heavier, punchier, lower bass than Beats Pro.  Beats Pro has a heavy bass and that I don't deny.   Just want an alternative.  :)  

Checking in on Head-fi very often now.  Very excited about these TV episodes....willing to watch this BEFORE any of my favorite TV series!  

HFI-580 brah, try it.

May 18, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #63 of 68
the 780's hurt my ears, they had less bass, and a bigger hignend. it hurt.....

May 18, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #64 of 68
Never heard the 580s, but the 780s make any recording sound like its from an alternate dimension where everything is made of cymbals which are in turn made of more cymbals, ad infinium.  Even a woodwind will sound metallic.  The timbre is just atrocious.  It even noticeable on completely synthesized music.

The only real plus is that they don't sound closed in like your typical sealed 'phone.

May 18, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #65 of 68

Quote:
Never heard the 580s, but the 780s make any recording sound like its from an alternate dimension where everything is made of cymbals which are in turn made of more cymbals, ad infinium.  Even a woodwind will sound metallic.  The timbre is just atrocious.  It even noticeable on completely synthesized music.

The only real plus is that they don't sound closed in like your typical sealed 'phone.

that's a pretty good description of the 780's the 580's on the other hand sound nothing like that. They are MUCH more tame.

May 19, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #66 of 68
Wow your posts have really opened up my eyes (and saved my wallet!), thanks a lot for the replies. One more question: If I have the M50's is it worth it for me to go for some 580's? Is there a big change in sound sig? I've been really curious to try out an Ultrasone already. I tend to like an overall balanced sound - I appreciate good bass but not at the expense of the mids and the highs.

May 19, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #67 of 68
Quote:
that's a pretty good description of the 780's the 580's on the other hand sound nothing like that. They are MUCH more tame.

Cool, I might have to check out a pair.

Quote:
Wow your posts have really opened up my eyes (and saved my wallet!), thanks a lot for the replies. One more question: If I have the M50's is it worth it for me to go for some 580's? Is there a big change in sound sig? I've been really curious to try out an Ultrasone already. I tend to like an overall balanced sound - I appreciate good bass but not at the expense of the mids and the highs.

If the 580s keep the good parts of the 780s they shouldn't sound as "closed-in" as the M50s.  IMO that was the M50s only real weakness.  I loved them otherwise.  Leaving out that one weakness I think they compete with stuff several times their price, but its hard to just ignore something like that so I eventually sold my pair

Of course don't let my opinion scare you off if you know you already happen to like a very bright sound.  I think the 780s are the brightest 'phones I can remember off hand.  They make the Beyer DT990s look tame.  If you don't like bright 'phones then by all means, be very afraid.  You'll hate the 780s if you want neutral or subdued highs.

Aug 8, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #68 of 68

Quote:
Didn't your mother ever teach you not to tease? Get on that 940 review!

+1 I'm really looking forward to the SRH 940 review as well. I'm considering the 940's as my next pair of headphones.
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back