PX200 II thread.
Aug 19, 2012 at 10:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

swaffleman

100+ Head-Fier
Because the Porta Pros have one dang it.
biggrin.gif

I am getting to where I almost can't listen to another pair. When I first got these, I wasn't too impressed with the sound. But after a year and even a plug being replaced, I've warmed up to the sound so much. Such a natural, detailed, and airy sound. I even don't mind that they are bass light, because the bass quality is so good. I think I'd rather have light bass that is very well defined than huge bloated bass.

The design and fit is also to die for. A very attractive product all around. A while back I talked about how the Original PX200's are better, but I have officially changed my mind after doing a ton of side by side tests...the detail of the PX 200's just cannot compete with the 200 II's. Much bigger bass and more fun initially, but not as satisfying.

Who here has a pair they actually use?

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #2 of 53
The PX-200-II are my second favorite pair of ultra-portables behind the K422(with foams). The Austrian and German are quite close actually so that's no surprise. I too wanted a bit more bass and treble sparkle from the Senn's unamped. The only reason they are number 2. But quite high quality across the spectrum along with nice separation and air, solid dynamics, and realistic tone and timbre. Always surprisingly good isolation for their size and they still maintain that open sound :) The AKG needs to be open to do that. Also have to like the build quality along with the understated but handsome look. Surely one worthy of an appreciation thread.  

Aug 19, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #3 of 53
That's what I'm sayin', they don't have a thread for em! I may be a big Sennheiser fanboy but I will always love these.

What's funny is that out of all of my headphones, they are the best to me. I don't own any particularly amazing set, save for the V6's and I used to own the HD 25's (and of course the namesake of this thread). I prefer the PX 200 II's to those. The HD 25's aren't dissimilar in that they are neutral and balanced, but to me they weren't as open and they are also more aggressive sounding. I like the PX 200 II's less aggressive and more open sound.

Aug 20, 2012 at 4:21 AM Post #4 of 53
I picked up the PX200II a couple months ago for work use. I have been very impressed with their sound and durability. They get thrown into my laptop bag everyday and have no signs of wear.They worked well on the plane the other day as well. Comfortable, good sound and extremely portable. I'll be picking up the PX100II for times when I don't need total isolation.

Sep 5, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #5 of 53
Quote:
The PX-200-II are my second favorite pair of ultra-portables behind the K422(with foams). The Austrian and German are quite close actually so that's no surprise. I too wanted a bit more bass and treble sparkle from the Senn's unamped. The only reason they are number 2.

Oddly enough this is the same #1 and #2 for me.  I'm sporting the K422s as we speak and listen to them almost daily.  I use the PX200 IIs for when they'res too much noise around.  The K422s are $27 shipped off amazon and I really can't believe how good they are for the price.

Sep 5, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #6 of 53
Ahh, the PX200-II.
To be very honest, I thought they sounded boring at first. As it turns out, I enjoy more of a "fun" signature.
But then again, I only had them for a few weeks before I broke the plug (sat down and yanked the cord). That made me sad.

Although I thought they sounded bland, I remember enjoying them quite a bit nonetheless. I think they look fairly snazzy as well
biggrin.gif

Here's some random pictures of my PX200-IIi (remote/mic version) with its broken plug. I'm still researching on how to fix it (any tips would be fantastic).

Folded.

Closeup on the broken plug :frowning2:

Unfolded and looking awesome.

Sep 5, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #7 of 53
Quote:
Ahh, the PX200-II.
To be very honest, I thought they sounded boring at first. As it turns out, I enjoy more of a "fun" signature.

I found their bass to be very good for a set of ultra portables and the treble to be detailed but recessed.   One of the best things about the PX200 II is that they have a great soundstage even though its a small, closed headphone.  Those AKG K422s I was talking about before has the more forward highs that I found to be more enjoyable.  Both are really great travel cans.

Sep 8, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #8 of 53
Quote:
That's what I'm sayin', they don't have a thread for em! I may be a big Sennheiser fanboy but I will always love these.

What's funny is that out of all of my headphones, they are the best to me. I don't own any particularly amazing set, save for the V6's and I used to own the HD 25's (and of course the namesake of this thread). I prefer the PX 200 II's to those. The HD 25's aren't dissimilar in that they are neutral and balanced, but to me they weren't as open and they are also more aggressive sounding. I like the PX 200 II's less aggressive and more open sound.

haha, looks like i'm not the only one who prefers the PX200-ii to the HD25's... biggest problem for me with the HD25's is 1. the soundstage and 2. the sibilant treble :p

Oct 2, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #10 of 53
Way better.

I've gone about solving the "lack of bass" issue I had with these by just applying some EQ to the low and mid range bass to boost it a few levels...the PX 200 II's do very well with EQing and the sound is pretty solid like this.

Oct 2, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #11 of 53
I own the older version of the px200s and I find them very uncomfortable.  I can wear them for about 30 mins max then I fee like my ears are literally going to fall off.  Are these more comfortable than the old version?

Oct 3, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #12 of 53
The comfort and fit is generally much better. The ear cups have some reinforcement as to how they are angled, so they won't immediately angle back a bit on your ears, and the ear pads, while the same shape and width, are significantly thicker.

I actually own the older ones too, and I like using the newer version's ear pads on them. It makes them fit better.

Oct 3, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #13 of 53
Quote:
The comfort and fit is generally much better. The ear cups have some reinforcement as to how they are angled, so they won't immediately angle back a bit on your ears, and the ear pads, while the same shape and width, are significantly thicker.

I actually own the older ones too, and I like using the newer version's ear pads on them. It makes them fit better.

Thanks.  Also, do you notice a big difference in the sound btn the two versions?

Oct 3, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #14 of 53
My older PX 200's, with the newer pads, have a lot more bass impact and more bass volume in general. The mids aren't nearly as forward as on the II's, making it sound a bit less analytical and smoother. The highs are also a little bit recessed sounding in comparison with the II's. However, the overall sound is still pretty detailed, and because of the extra bass impact, a bit more engaging.

With the original pads, though, they sounded pretty bad. Murky and very bass light. It's amazing how such a small change can make such a big difference.

I actually prefer my PX 200's with the newer pads for on the go use, but right now they are needing to be repaired.

Oct 3, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #15 of 53
Quote:
My older PX 200's, with the newer pads, have a lot more bass impact and more bass volume in general. The mids aren't nearly as forward as on the II's, making it sound a bit less analytical and smoother. The highs are also a little bit recessed sounding in comparison with the II's. However, the overall sound is still pretty detailed, and because of the extra bass impact, a bit more engaging.

With the original pads, though, they sounded pretty bad. Murky and very bass light. It's amazing how such a small change can make such a big difference.

I actually prefer my PX 200's with the newer pads for on the go use, but right now they are needing to be repaired.

Great, thanks for the answer.  Looks like I will be searching for some newer pads, hah.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back