PX100-II Review | Discussion Thread
Apr 18, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #706 of 734
Goodness me ! ! !
Where on earth do I start with these headphones. Firstly I would like to "qualify" myself for this review if I may. I would like to class my self as an "audiophile" on a budget. I LOVE good sound quality, and am constantly in search of ways to improve this with the budget that I have these days. This has not always been the case, I have in the past had very hi end and expensive headphones, speakers and amps.
I currently have the AKG K92 which I am VERY pleased with and would recommend as a super well made reference headphone. I run my headphone on a mixture of PC, phone devices and my Marantz amp. I enjoy BOTH "flat" unequalised sound and having the ability to "tweak" the equalization of frequency's with my Kenwood duel channel 10 band graphic equalizer with spectrum analyser. I enjoy ALL types of music particularly the following artists and bands Genesis, Pink Floyd, Pet Shop Boys (especially extended versions), anything produced my Trevor Horne (especially the Two Tribes extended mixes!) Queen, and I have a great fondness for tracks by Will I Am (Scream and shout) and Jason Derulo - "Want To Want Me" I also enjoy a large selection of that "boring" stuff classical music.
Okay so in addition to my AKG K92 I also have the Sony MDR XB450 YES I LOVE Bass when it is delivered with detail punch and clarity BUT I ALSO like to hear the music as close to a "flat" unequalised response as possible!!! (sometimes, I like to switch between the two!)
Okay, back to the Sennheiser PX 100-mk2, about 3 years ago I had the original mk 1 version which I really did like, but unfortunately stood on them, anyway in my search for the best possible sound quality for the best possible price, I was drawn back to these headphones, by looking over some of the reviews, especially one in particular, I'm a member of Head HiFi the same review was also posted on there. To sum up, what he was saying was this.......these headphones he uses as his No1 set of headphones and was comparing them and holding them up to MUCH more expensive headphone (stuff I could never afford!!!) Its a VERY long and detailed review, probably even longer than this one is going to turn out to be!!!
It got me thinking.....YES I remember with my old px100 thinking GOD these are good ! ! ! BUT I think probably been a little snobbish about the size of the headphone thinking, yea yea they are good BUT they cant really be that good because of the size of them.....can they ???
I have received my new PX100 mk 2 now.........I have to say and concur with EVERTHING that was said in that review......... these headphone really are FIRST CLASS of the VERY highest order!!!
How Sennheiser have managed to pack such a high quality first class audiophile sound into such a small driver is completely beyond me!!!
The spectrum of sound and the quality that it is delivered with is simply BREATHTAKING....the ONLY limit to the sound quality of these headphones is the one created in your mind from seeing there size and your mind been incapable of believing that it is possible for such a high quality of sound to be created from something so small!!!
Don't get me wrong I LOVE my AKG K92 they really are brilliant, but I have to say and this is no bad reflection on the AKG K92 rather a nod to just how far the Sennheisers have been able to achieve something, and a sound quality which defies all logic and reasoning when you look at the size of them........The Sennheisers have just as good a sound depth and detail as the AKG k92 and dare I say this, yes I would say ever so slightly better!
The ONLY thing that matters to me is the sound quality, the bass response and delivery of these headphones is beyond me....no really unbelievable !!!
I do not care that they are open and leak sound, I do not care that the jack lead is not a fancy gold plated one, I do not care the cable look so thin, I do not care the earphone pads look cheap, I don't care they feel flimsy and fold every which way but loose.........
When I snap them into position, place them on my head and plug them in, I smile, at the quality, the comfort, the sound stage, the depth of bass, the clarity of the mid range and highs created by these little wonders of sound engineering and sound quality ! ! ! PERIOD !
Hi sorry, im back again to annoy you some more.....

Here is my review of these headphones as promised.....

May 16, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #707 of 734
I had the HD414 pads on for a while and slowly noticed something. The 414 pads ruin these headphones for gaming. They're good for music, but they hide a lot of small details. Stick to the stock pads if you do any gaming that requires picking up small sound details like footsteps from medium-long range distance. Once I swapped the stock pads on, I was amazed how badly the 414 pads are for gaming.

Aug 16, 2017 at 5:04 AM Post #708 of 734
These are my favorite headphones. The right channel is not working properly anymore so I went to order a new pair and found that this is discontinued now. For me these headphones offered a very laid back listening experience. Most importantly the higher frequencies were not piercing which I find is the case with almost all headphones, which causes me discomfort. I can listen to these for a couple of hours and be just fine, but one song of most headphones does me in.

My mom bought the 598 Cs (closed back version) on the Amazon Black Friday sale but I don't like them at all. I prefer open headphones but even putting that aside I think they were harsh. (Not what the graphs say but anyway)

Can anyone recommend a suitable replacement for these? I was thinking of the 598 open version..

Aug 16, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #709 of 734
These are my favorite headphones. The right channel is not working properly anymore so I went to order a new pair and found that this is discontinued now. For me these headphones offered a very laid back listening experience. Most importantly the higher frequencies were not piercing which I find is the case with almost all headphones, which causes me discomfort. I can listen to these for a couple of hours and be just fine, but one song of most headphones does me in.

My mom bought the 598 Cs (closed back version) on the Amazon Black Friday sale but I don't like them at all. I prefer open headphones but even putting that aside I think they were harsh. (Not what the graphs say but anyway)

Can anyone recommend a suitable replacement for these? I was thinking of the 598 open version..
Koss Porta Pro. BTW your hp can still be found on Amazon US.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #710 of 734

HD 598 has a different sound signature, more mid and high presence, you might like them but you'll have to try them.

I recently bought the Koss Porta Pro and sometimes I like them more than the PX100-II. So I recommend them too.
They are more transparent, better soundstage, better detail in highs without being harsh. But bass seems to have better body and control in PX100-II.

Aug 16, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #711 of 734
Both models, original and II are very much same sounding headphones. Same element and allmost identical housing.
I had several, and have couple of both as today. Model two has suoperior head band.
Its funny, but biggest thing that alter sound in px100:s, is earpads. When they wear down, it looses it highs, and become muddy, honky an very unpleasant.
And replace pads are quite pricey. But good news is, that Koss portapros has identical pads, and cost next to nothing.

As Grado fanboy, i could not believe my self, when i first heard these cans, around 15year ago. They are kind of better than SR60-80,s

Aug 18, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #712 of 734

I have a new pair for sale in the classifieds - https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-sennheiser-px-100-ii-with-free-hd414-pads.858130/

Aug 21, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #713 of 734

It's difficult. I haven't heard anything in the portable, easy to drive bracket that comes close. If you can afford them though and you can drive them then the HD 650 has a remarkably similar tone. There's far more detail, space & energy but the overall signature is very similar. I use both and they're almost interchangeable sonically. The HD 650 is a lousy portable choice though. Even if you can but a portable amp to drive them they leak A LOT of sound and everyone will hate you.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #714 of 734
It's difficult. I haven't heard anything in the portable, easy to drive bracket that comes close. If you can afford them though and you can drive them then the HD 650 has a remarkably similar tone. There's far more detail, space & energy but the overall signature is very similar. I use both and they're almost interchangeable sonically. The HD 650 is a loust portable choice though. Even if you can but a portable amp to drive them they leak A LOT of sound and everyone will hate you.

Thanks for your post. the price is high on the 650 but I could manage it, especially if I knew I could get years of use, also it looks more durable than the PX-100. I only listen at home so portability isn't a concern. However I don't have a portable amp. I do have an Onkyo TX-8160 receiver in my listening area (my bedroom) and I guess it would provide enough power in the headphone jack (cannot find any specs for that output). The other option for me would be to buy a soundcard for my PC. (Might be worth it anyway because I use the optical out to the receiver from my motherboard sound all day)

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #715 of 734
Thanks for your post. the price is high on the 650 but I could manage it, especially if I knew I could get years of use, also it looks more durable than the PX-100. I only listen at home so portability isn't a concern. However I don't have a portable amp. I do have an Onkyo TX-8160 receiver in my listening area (my bedroom) and I guess it would provide enough power in the headphone jack (cannot find any specs for that output). The other option for me would be to buy a soundcard for my PC. (Might be worth it anyway because I use the optical out to the receiver from my motherboard sound all day)

Your receiver will likely drive them fine. A lot is talked about amps and although it's true the HD 650 will scale with amp improvements the law of diminishing returns kicks in fast. To be contradictory though, I feel that better amps slightly remove what you like about the PX-100 from the HD 650, instead making it punchier, less clouded. They're relatively small differences though and anyway, that's what EQ is for. :L3000:

Oh, one more thing, the HD 650 leaks sound (in & out) like crazy. If you're planning on using them with anyone else in the room making noise I'd forget it.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017 at 2:39 AM Post #716 of 734
I have both the 100s and 650s. If you are using the solely at home I would urge you to get the 650s if you can swing them. The 100s are good for portible use or doing the dishes, but the 650 is head and shoulders above the 100s.

Mar 4, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #717 of 734
I was looking at making my PX-100 II wireless and tried multiple ways of doing so. First I tried the concept by just taping a APT-X compatible reciever to a micro-usb charging board and a 200mAh LiPo and sticking this on my PX-100 II which sounded just fine.
20170602_120417.jpg
I then went on and created multiple enclosures to try and fit all the parts inside.
20170606_185835.jpg
I eventually made an enclosure which perfectly fit the headbands curvatures and would just snap around it.
Knipsel.PNG
But in the end everything just looking dorky and weird when installed.

Then, when I was cleaning out I found a pair of HIFIMAN Focus pads and started working out ways in which I could fit the parts on an adapter to fit the pads to the PX-100 which got me here.
20180126_174507.jpg
This simply replaces the pastic part that covers the driver and holds the pads, has slots for the pads and has small enclosures for the electronics. After using this for a while I found out that these small enclosures made wind noise a big deal and they didn't feel very sturdy. So I kept working on it until I got here.

_DSC3178.jpg _DSC3180.jpg
The final product, a CSR8645 APT-X bluetooth module, micro-usb charging and low voltage cutoff board and a 200mAh LiPo neatly inside the enclosure. The sound is amazing, especially for a portable set of cans. I would be able to measure them and test if there is a measureable difference but I can already tell you there is. It sound full, thick yet airy and they amaze me every time. Also the comfort is great, the pads relieve a lot of pressure from your head and that combined with the lightness can make me forget I'm wearing them. It's just too bad I can't share the experience with people here although I'm able to make more and sell them if someone wants them.

Mar 4, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #719 of 734
I was looking at making my PX-100 II wireless and tried multiple ways of doing so. First I tried the concept by just taping a APT-X compatible reciever to a micro-usb charging board and a 200mAh LiPo and sticking this on my PX-100 II which sounded just fine.

I then went on and created multiple enclosures to try and fit all the parts inside.

I eventually made an enclosure which perfectly fit the headbands curvatures and would just snap around it.

But in the end everything just looking dorky and weird when installed.

Then, when I was cleaning out I found a pair of HIFIMAN Focus pads and started working out ways in which I could fit the parts on an adapter to fit the pads to the PX-100 which got me here.

This simply replaces the pastic part that covers the driver and holds the pads, has slots for the pads and has small enclosures for the electronics. After using this for a while I found out that these small enclosures made wind noise a big deal and they didn't feel very sturdy. So I kept working on it until I got here.

The final product, a CSR8645 APT-X bluetooth module, micro-usb charging and low voltage cutoff board and a 200mAh LiPo neatly inside the enclosure. The sound is amazing, especially for a portable set of cans. I would be able to measure them and test if there is a measureable difference but I can already tell you there is. It sound full, thick yet airy and they amaze me every time. Also the comfort is great, the pads relieve a lot of pressure from your head and that combined with the lightness can make me forget I'm wearing them. It's just too bad I can't share the experience with people here although I'm able to make more and sell them if someone wants them.

Send them to Tyll at Innerfidelity for measurements.

Mar 15, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #720 of 734
I ended up getting these headphones again, I had a pair in the past but it broke. Decided to get another one, could only find a good price on white ones so I got one of those. Still have that dark buttery smooth sound I love from these and these are still my favorite portable headphones, haven't been able to find anything to replace these for portable/exercise headphones as I don't like closed-backs for portable use(I run a few miles a day, live in the suburbs, and I like to be able hear my surroundings). Still my favorite cheaper Sennheiser. They do scale up quite nicely as well, they get smoother and the bass tightens when well driven.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back