PX100 & Headphone Amp
Jan 7, 2009 at 7:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

LiranV

100+ Head-Fier
I"m using Sennheiser PX 100 that are connected to my source (iRiver H340),
and i want to know if a Headphone Amp combined with this rig is going to improve the sound quality in a way that i will actually feel the improvement?

Thanks,
Liran Vaknin.

Jan 7, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #2 of 33
The PX100 really don't improve with amping.

Jan 7, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #3 of 33
Hmm, I have to disagree with you there. Theres a definite improvement when I use my XP amp with my PX100s. I have reverse 414 pads on so maybe that might make a difference?

Jan 7, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #4 of 33
PX100 is great with an amp.
Need 100 hours to be on top with a more open sound.

Jan 7, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #6 of 33
Yes ronnielee54.
PX100 give a great sound directely from the source, but with amp there is an improvement.
Bass are more deeper and there is a more separation bw the instruments.
It's not a great improvement but a subtitle.
Nota :
This improvement is maybe only the fact than line out of mines Ipods are better than headphone line out.
So, with your rig, if there isn't an line out i think it's not necessay to amp the PX100.

Jan 7, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #7 of 33
Yes, the humble px100 sounds even better with an amp; I tried them on my MF DACv3 two years ago and was amazed at the improvements.

Jan 7, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #8 of 33
You guys must be talking about subtle differences. I really don't notice any difference when plugging the headphones into my ipod or my home setup. The sound signature remains basically the same and any differences are moot in my book (certainly not worth paying money for). The KSC75, now that's a headphone that benefits from better upstream source equipment!

Jan 7, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #9 of 33
I hear the difference too, more than just subtle to me. I have to admit though, some may not, my wife says the unamped px100s out of her ipod sound about the same as my hd650s with a hybrid tube amp and dac feeding it. So i guess it is up to the person listening. I seem to be able to discern almost every upgrade that i have made and I can hear when i have made a mistake on an item too-yikes! Made one recently
frown.gif
Subtle to me applies more to different LODs, you really have to a/b and listen carefully to hear those changes.

Jan 7, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #10 of 33
Yeah, they do sound better (just tested it), but it isn't worth the extra $100.
However, with the HD25-1... Wow... Just Wow.
The lows are lower, fuller, richer, the high is more refined and the mids are heaven-like. And the good thing is, the PX100 is like the little open brother of the HD25-1.
Same signature, but not that jawdropping amazing sound.

All this was done with an iPod Nano 3G, Corda Move and a custom 24awg silver LOD.

Jan 7, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #11 of 33
Well an amp brings up the investment of a $50. pair of headphones quite a bit and cost value probably doesn't pencil out, but if you have the amp anyway, why not use it. I amp mine with the Hornet M or Pico so it changes the investment to what - over $400. Better to balance the cost with better phones and get more out of them.

Jan 7, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My wife says the unamped px100s out of her ipod sound about the same as my hd650s with a hybrid tube amp and dac feeding it.

Let her listen to your setup for a few days or more, and then let her listen to the same music with her old setup, you betcha she'll notice it
wink.gif

You can't hear all the differences within a few minutes.
If it's the first time you hear a setup, you have to get used to the new things, the extra detail and the texture. As soon as you got used to those things, you'll miss when you go back to your inferior setup.
At that point you'll notice the music to be less detailed, not as rich.. well, you get my point
wink.gif

Jan 8, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #13 of 33
Thanks alot for the great answers guys! I"m really impressed by how quickly you reply here!
bigsmile_face.gif

Now lets say i want to upgrade my set of headphones...
which headphones i should by for lets say 200$?
Is the hd25-1 is the ultimate choice? or maybe something else?

Jan 8, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by LiranV /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks alot for the great answers guys! I"m really impressed by how quickly you reply here!
bigsmile_face.gif

Now lets say i want to upgrade my set of headphones...
which headphones i should by for lets say 200$?
Is the hd25-1 is the ultimate choice? or maybe something else?

The HD25 is just a closed version of the PX100, with better detail, soundstage, and a little better sound quality. It has roughly the same sonic signature as the PX100.

If you want a better PX100, get the HD25-1 II. If you are looking for another type of sound, there are many other options out there.

Jan 8, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #15 of 33
Basically i really like the px100, but they are quite grating my ear's, that's maybe because i need to set my EQ right? cause i really don't know how to do that well..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back