PX 100 v. E2c
Mar 17, 2005 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Remedial

100+ Head-Fier
I own the PX 100's and, don't get me wrong, they're great. Bass heavy, loud, a little too warm, but great overall.

But, I really don't like the traditional over-the-head headphone band. Kind of makes it cumbersome at times. I also don't really care for their open character, which makes it difficult to hear the music sometimes (forcing me to turn the volume up way too loud).

That's why I've been considering the Shure's. Heard great things about them, but I really want to know how they stack up.

The isolation factor would definitely be the biggest plus for me, but I don't want to have to compromise my bass and volume. But if it does cut out some of the warmth, I'm all for it.

I know the Senny's have a SPL of 114db, run at 32 ohms and a frequency responce of 15hz-27khz. E2c's run with a SPL of 105db at 16 ohms (didn't list freq. response on website). Does the lower impedance help the sound any? I'm guessing with the added isolation, the E2c's don't need as much in the way of SPL to sound great.

But, what I really need to know are the X factors, such as soundstage, etc...

Anybody ever had a chance to AB these two?

Please let me know.

Mar 18, 2005 at 12:20 AM Post #3 of 22
The PX100s do everything better except for isolation.
The e2cs, in my opinion, have a very collapsed soundstage (even for canalphones!), severely rolled off treble, muddy bass, and smooshed together mids.

I'd recommend ER-6Is instead, but they probably take off too much warmth. They don't sound like PX100s, but are very good in their own right.

Mar 18, 2005 at 12:41 AM Post #4 of 22
You will be compromising the bass volume by quite a degree when compared to the PX100. The PX100 bass is quite lumpy and separated from the mix at times. The trebles are about the same as the PX100 on the E2c, and all you're missing with the E2c is really the bass.

The ER-6i will be... an interesting experience after the PX100, especially if you compare one after another. If you're looking for anywhere near the 'zing' the PX100 puts in the music, avoid the ER-6i like the plague. On the other hand, they do give a lot more 'felt clarity' by jacking up the highs way, way, high.

The MDR-EX71 gives less isolation than the E2c, but you'll probably find the mid/low balance quite similar to the PX100. The thing is, the overall sound character is cheaper and nastier than the PX100.

Mar 18, 2005 at 1:18 AM Post #5 of 22
As far as the volume is concerned the PX100 are supposed to be about 6 dB louder at the same voltage input level, but it doesn't seem like it to me. It might be because the E2C isolates you from the outside world and less sonic energy sounds like more sonic energy with so little background noise.

You are not going to get as deep or as powerful of bass with the E2C as you are getting with the PX100. The E2C can produce very impactful & deep bass at times, but only when the music is very heavy with the low powerful bass & you have the volume cranked way up. I agree with bangraman that the PX100 has bass that is seperated from the mix at times, the E2C never has presented me with this effect. As a result the bass can be more easily lost in the other sounds.

Loudness will be compromised when switching to the E2C, but the isolation more than makes up for it when in places with average to high ambiant noise levels, and even when there is no ambiant noise to cancel out, the E2C can produce very loud SPLs which shouldn't be too disperate from that of the PX100 in a quite enviornment.

I seriously doubt that you will have a problem with the E2C being too warm. My best guess is that you will find them more to your liking if not overly compensated for the PX100s warmth. The highs are not very much different from the PX100. They are slightly more veiled and slighty more recesed than the PX100s highs. The mid-frequencys are vrey different between the two. I like the E2C because its mids are quite pronounced. I don't necisarily love huge mids, but none of the headphones I own have the same level of mid-frequency reproduction the E2C has. I think the PX100s mids are just unimpressive, they are good quality but too small.

The isolation compared to the PX100s is orders of magnatude different.

I think the three frequency ranges are so different between the PX100 & the E2C that any other similaritys they may have in soundstage or comfert are vastly outweighed by the basic frequency differences. That is to say that they are very different sounding headphones with some of the "fring" propertys like price & comfert being comparable.

I personaly think the E2C is moderatly comfortable with a side note that I have problems keeping them inserted correctly, I would classify the PX100 as moderate/good in comfert level.

I know that several places in recent months have had the E2C for $60-$65 shipped, if you can find them for near those prices I would think you would be quite well set with the E2C.

Mar 18, 2005 at 8:01 AM Post #6 of 22
i find the px100 and md33s to sound quite similar, although the px100 sounds a bit smoother, and the md33s more "edgy", but the sound-character is near.

md33s have also this powerful bass and only the highest treble from the px100 is missing a bit. you won't sacrifice too much from sound, but you gain all the comfort of canalphones and the isolation, which is a great plus.

try them, either you like them, or you hate them (see the other md33s thread)

Mar 20, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #11 of 22
I own both E2's and PX-100's and while the PX-100's sound pretty decent, I don't think they have much bang to them (compared to E2's).

Imagine standing in a 20' x 25' room. The PX-100's are good bookshelf speakers and the E2's are good floor speakers.

Mar 21, 2005 at 12:48 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
You will be compromising the bass volume by quite a degree when compared to the PX100. The PX100 bass is quite lumpy and separated from the mix at times. The trebles are about the same as the PX100 on the E2c, and all you're missing with the E2c is really the bass.

The ER-6i will be... an interesting experience after the PX100, especially if you compare one after another. If you're looking for anywhere near the 'zing' the PX100 puts in the music, avoid the ER-6i like the plague. On the other hand, they do give a lot more 'felt clarity' by jacking up the highs way, way, high.

The MDR-EX71 gives less isolation than the E2c, but you'll probably find the mid/low balance quite similar to the PX100. The thing is, the overall sound character is cheaper and nastier than the PX100.

I'm guessing that if the EX71's sound worse than the PX100's, then the EX51's are not an option?

Apr 10, 2005 at 9:41 PM Post #15 of 22
I have the px100's and the Panasonic HJE50's. I don't know what to think. To me the music coming out of the PX100's seem "farther" away than the Panasonics and thinner. I agree that for small headphones, these offer better sound than most, but these are $40 small headphones. I also have the HD497's and they sound great when used with my computer speakers EQ'ed but I can't get them to sound good enough on my Zen Micro or ipod mini. Most of my music is 128 or 192 Kbps WMA and MP3. If anyone uses the PX100's with Zen Micro or Ipod mini, what equalizer setting do you use (including the numbers for the custom equalizer)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back