Pushing it, but >$10 earphones?
Jun 27, 2006 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Newbiez

100+ Head-Fier
The story goes, I'm a long time fan of cans and owns a Eggo d66sl, but as I'm still a student and isn't rich, that was pretty much my only set of cans. Yes, I've tasted Grado's, Senns and Alessandros and droll/envy at their owners.

But one fine day while going around college with my Eggos on, I felt something I've never felt before. I felt the Eggo's size, while portable was too big as I couldn't bend my neck if I place it there nor could I find a place to keep it when I fold it up.

Thus I want a earphone. Those that really goes into your ears and won't kill it after 2 hours or music listening. But the thing is this, I'm from Malaysia you see and currently are unable to spend much cash on the pairs that I really want (etys).. Yes, from the er6 till this, the budget provided is a big difference, but I shamelessly ask and hope some of you could provide me with some help here.

Can I find and get some decent or barely set of earphones for under $10? Maybe slightly over it but really I can't spare much on this right now. Most fingers point to Koss' The Plug, but I would like to hear you gurus speak out first before having to make that choice.

As me mam always say, the journey to to $1000 cans start with a single $.

Jun 27, 2006 at 7:52 PM Post #3 of 23
How about some earbuds?

Sennheiser MX400 comes to mind. Or MX350, whatever you can find really. Don't expect anything amazing, but it should at least do you better than iBuds or what not.

Tough call on ThePlug. I've heard nothing but bad reviews on it, but that modding does help lots! :\

Jun 27, 2006 at 7:56 PM Post #4 of 23
What about some of the Sennheiser earbuds? They have some around $10 (might be a couple dollars over, before shipping)

Here is a list of some Senn. buds

I can't attest to the quality, as I've never tested any of them; the 300s and 350s got decent scores from Headroom, and high scores from them usually means at least something.

Jun 27, 2006 at 8:11 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by bl4cksh33p
Just to let you know, >$10 means "greater than $10"

i was gonna say!! cuz advice for headphones greater than $10 is a piece of cake!!!

Jun 27, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by bl4cksh33p
Just to let you know, >$10 means "greater than $10"

Yes, it does but I just went by Quote:

Can I find and get some decent or barely set of earphones for under $10?

Its less likely he typo'd "under" for "over" than '>' for '<'. When in doubt I just go by context, when still in doubt I just ask. And when STILL in doubt...ahh, forget it!
biggrin.gif

Jun 27, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #8 of 23
Thats for the notice on that typo
biggrin.gif

Senns looks nice, though I always though tose buds who goes abit deeper into the ear offers better noice cancellation thus could provide better sound.

So as I've come to expect, I'm pretty much tied on for Senns and Koss. The fact that I can mod them makes Koss looks slightly tastier at the moment tho
eggosmile.gif
(finally an smiley for the discontinued Eggos!)

Jun 28, 2006 at 12:43 AM Post #9 of 23
when it come to these (< and >). The little one eats the big one.
tongue.gif

Jun 28, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #10 of 23
I always like to recommend the Coby (yes, Coby!) CV-130:

CV130_1.jpg

Big Lots stores have them from time to time and when they do they're $6 plus tax. They have to be modified, but it's a very simple and painless and costless mod. The earcups swivel so the unit lies flat. I like to call them the cheapest headphone that an audio nut could stand to listen to without hurling them against the wall.

Availability in Malaysia? Unknown.

Jun 28, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #11 of 23
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the KOSS KCS-75..
eek.gif
$10 at Amazon (+shipping) but that shouldn't be too much.. I'd definately spend that shipping money and you'll be 10x happier than any other phone at that price.

EDIT: Linkage: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...341402?ie=UTF8

Jun 28, 2006 at 5:37 AM Post #12 of 23
doood! Good deal with the amazon link there!

Thanks I think I'm gonna buy an extra pair myself!

Jun 28, 2006 at 5:39 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by creyc
doood! Good deal with the amazon link there!

Thanks I think I'm gonna buy an extra pair myself!

Always glad to hook a head-fi brotha up with KCS-75s!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back