Pushed canalphone too far into ear
Nov 2, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #16 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In all seriousness, you need to see your doctor ASAP. This isn't something of the "wait and see" sort at all. I briefly owned the same IEMs and was scared out of my wits one day shortly after I got them when I found I couldn't, even after 30 minutes of struggling, get them out of my ears by myself. The ER-6i, as far as I'm concerned, should be pulled off the market and all existing units should be recalled.

Let us know what you find out after going to the doctor. I agree with Jaska. These were my first IEM's and the left ear piece were constantly coming off while in my ears (at least 4 times/week). I had to always carry a tweezer with me in order to pull it out. Never had those problems with any other IEM I've ever owned.

Nov 2, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #17 of 38
Damn bro sorry to hear this.

Once when I was in the military during rifle qual, an ear plug got stuck in my left ear. I was so scared..but I used a paper clip to get it out. I had similar hearing problems for a few days, but it went away.

Either way, I would suggest to see a doc!

Keep us updated!!!

Nov 2, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #18 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you twist the thing when you were removing it? Because the instructions of the Etys say that, I think. Helps to break the seal if you've shoved it in tight. Just tugging it out might be bad...for air pressure reasons, I think.

Twisting IEMs out is something I find quite essential when it comes to me not rupturing my eardrums. You're right about the pressure problem when there's a good seal and you try to pull them straight out--that's a no-no. Of utmost concern with the ER-6i is that the drivers are so short that literally the whole thing is inside the ear (I would assume this would be with most people who have inserted them properly/deeply into their ear canals), thereby making it all but impossible to grab them with thumb and forefinger in order to gently twist them out.

Nov 2, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #21 of 38
I hope there is no pertinent damage. As others have said, I hope you do seek medical attention to ensure everything is ok.

I have some Shure E2Cs that I use sometimes (I did find that I enjoy the isolation sometimes but not all the time and as you have discovered, sometimes discomfort can be an issue).

What I found worked best for me to avoid these air pressure issues is to pull the top of your ear lobe up when inserting or removing it. This shifts the ear canal a bit and makes it easier to get a seal and easier to break it for easy removal. I'm not sure if this works well for the ER6is or not but I bet it does.

Nov 2, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #22 of 38
You didn't rupture the tympanic membrane. Like others have said, probably an impaction of earwax.

If you had ruptured it, there would be far more pain, and a good bit of blood. It happened to me when I was a small child due to a severe ear infection.

Nov 3, 2008 at 6:46 AM Post #23 of 38
I doubt you "punctured" your eardrum. Even with the pointy, 3-flanged tips, they do not go that far into the ear. The pain is probably due to changes in pressure from pulling the tip out. Whenever you're sealing your ear canal with a plug, there can be pressure in the ear and yanking it out fast can be painful.

Nov 3, 2008 at 1:19 PM Post #24 of 38
Quote:

Even though q-tips always advise that you not insert them in your ear canal, I know everyone (including me) does. The problem is that cleaning your ears that way forces the wax deeper and deeper into the ear canal (the nurse informed me of that when I had mishap #1). I didn't stop using them. It just feels good, you know?

Amen to that brother.

Nov 4, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #25 of 38
I didn't stop using them. It just feels good, you know?

Quote:

Originally Posted by cHoBomonkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amen to that brother.

Well, at least you're not sticking a finger in your ear.
ph34r.gif
That would be...

Nov 4, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #27 of 38
Well, it turns out there is a good deal of bleeding in there and that there is a small tear in my timpanic membrane. I also got an audiogram, and I can't hear nearly as well for any frequency above 6 kHz in my right ear compared to my left ear. Is there any chance of this hearing loss being permanent? I mean, three days later, my hearing in that ear is just as cloudy as it was when it first happened. How long does this usually take to heal? Will I get my hearing back?

Nov 4, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #28 of 38
Hmm, didn't the doctor/audiologist tell you if there will be any permanent damage? Because to be honest, he/she probably knows a lot more about this kind of stuff than any of us ever will. Try to phone them/going there again and ask all the questions you have on mind.

I've never realized IEMs could be so dangerous... Sorry to hear about your loss.

Nov 4, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #29 of 38
That sucks. Sorry to hear that. So you had bleeding in there? Did the doctor say anything about how it happened? Did the actual ear tip cause tear or was it from the pressure when you removed it?

I don't know, but could this be a case for a lawyer? Especially if there is hearing damage...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back