Pushed canalphone too far into ear
Nov 2, 2008 at 2:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

TheChuckster

New Head-Fier
I accidentally pushed one of the canalphones of my Etymotics Er6i too far into my ear. I didn't realize it was too far in until I tried to take it out when it HURT like crazy. I had to pull it out very slowly and the whole time I was pulling it out there was a sharp pain in my ear. After I pulled it out, the inside of my ear hurt really bad and my hearing in that ear was cloudy. One day later, my hearing in that ear is still cloudy and it hurts to swallow. What do you think happened? Could I have punctured my ear drum? Is this permanent? I'm extremely worried about this because music is my life and now that I might have ruined my hearing, I pretty much lost something that really mattered a lot to me.

Nov 2, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #2 of 38
In all seriousness, you need to see your doctor ASAP. This isn't something of the "wait and see" sort at all. I briefly owned the same IEMs and was scared out of my wits one day shortly after I got them when I found I couldn't, even after 30 minutes of struggling, get them out of my ears by myself. The ER-6i, as far as I'm concerned, should be pulled off the market and all existing units should be recalled.

Nov 2, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #4 of 38
No, at least nothing in the way of mention that the IEMs could become "lost" in the user's ear canals. I own and love the ER-4S, and they're honestly a completely different breed. I truly consider the ER-6i, as I've mentioned above, a very unsafe product. These things could really hurt people.

I really do hope you go see your doctor right away, even if it sets you back financially. It's extremely important to get yourself checked out properly and tout de suite.

Nov 2, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #6 of 38
sorry to read about your pain, it's possible to compact war into the ear canal and lodge it pretty badly against the drum. i have done this and it's not pleasant. and ear wax removal kit helped but a trip to the er is what you should do. gl hope it's simple.

Nov 2, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #7 of 38
Oh that's bad. Good luck for you and find a doctor fast.

Nov 2, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #8 of 38
Of course this is a job for a doctor (or at the very least an RN). It is far more likely that it is a wax blockage rather than a puncture. That really isn't scary at all (in retrospect).

Several years ago, I got a wax blockage that completely destroyed the hearing in my right ear. An RN used a warm saline wash to remove it, and gave me some recommendations for ear care. She suggested that I gently direct warm water into my ear while in the shower to help prevent build up. This worked fairly well until I had another mishap.

Even though q-tips always advise that you not insert them in your ear canal, I know everyone (including me) does. The problem is that cleaning your ears that way forces the wax deeper and deeper into the ear canal (the nurse informed me of that when I had mishap #1). I didn't stop using them. It just feels good, you know?

Then, a year or so later, the tip of a q-tip came off in my ear. I called my girlfriend who rescued me from my stupidity. She is completely deaf in one ear, and has an 80% hearing loss in the other (a childhood illness), so consequently she knows a lot about ear care too. She knew what to do.

She poured capfuls of hydrogen peroxide in my ear until the cotton fibers lodged in there floated up. She then gently removed them with tweezers. It brought us closer together, and was one of the thousand reasons why I married her six years ago.

According to her, just using the peroxide once a week or so lifts out all the wax build-up without irritating your ears. If you get too much moisture deep in the ear canal, her doctor prescribed a different sort of alcohol (not isopropol or ethyl) to dry out the ear canal-- but she seldom has to use that. Astringents are bad. In fact, virtually any sort of fluid besides saline, water, or hydrogen peroxide is bad.

The suggestions on the forums around here really make me cringe. Using alcohol or astringents simply irritates your ear generating more wax and more problems. Q-tips are also bad, but hard to resist.

Nov 2, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #9 of 38
If you were an audiophile, you would have your ears cleaned out 100% for 100% satisfaction. That way we get better reviews and impressions! hehe.

to OP, it would suck so bad if you couldn't hear clearly wouldn't it? I'd go insane if I couldn't listen to music clearly.

Nov 2, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #12 of 38
Yea there are a few parts on my body that, if suffered anything serious, I wouldn't hesitate to see a doctor. Ears are definitely one of those important body parts. Please go see a doctor ASAP. Let us know what he says.

Nov 2, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #13 of 38
it does sound like a wax blockage, though you should see a doctor. it is nearly impossible to punture your ear drum with IEMs, unless you had a needle on the end or something. When you put on your first set on IEMs, and have not recently cleaned your ears, the wax that has been built up there will be pushed back deep in the ear canal causing some pain and noise blockage. I had this happen to me, i went to urgent care, and they used water and some other product i cant remember and flushed it all out, and now i frequently clean my ears to prevent this from happening again. BTW i have the er-6i and they have never been harmful to my ears.

Nov 2, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #14 of 38
That sounds like a wax blockage. Wax can easily be cleaned out with an ear-cleaning kit from a drugstore, or with 3-4% solution of hydrogen peroxide. HOWEVER, go see the doctor first. If it isn't a wax blockage, and you actually punctured or damaged your eardrum, the peroxide would be VERY DETRIMENTAL and could injure your ears more.

Nov 2, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #15 of 38
I doubt you can puncture your eardrum like that too. My dad used to make custom molds for hearing aids, and he tells me you gotta shove things pretty damn deep to hit the eardrums.

On a separate note: Did you twist the thing when you were removing it? Because the instructions of the Etys say that, I think. Helps to break the seal if you've shoved it in tight. Just tugging it out might be bad...for air pressure reasons, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back