Purchasing: "Closed-back" headphones.
Oct 10, 2009 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Force

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi.

I'm going to start telling you guys that I'm new to this stuff so please be patient and understanding if I'm not 100% right with something.

I am looking for a pair of "closed-back" headphones around 1300 Swedish crowns (about 130€ & 190$).

I'm going to use the headphones with the computer or my iPod as source. I've looked on the Fiio E5 portable headphone amplifier, is it any good even though it's so cheap? With my budget I don't think I can squeeze in a more expensive amplifier.

I want them to be good with most genres since I listen to a lot of different music. (Classical Rock, Hard Rock, Punk, Metal, Pop, Hip-Hop, Techno, Trance and also some more calm music)

Since I live in Sweden I want the headphones to be from either Sennheiser, Sony, AKG or Pioneer. The reason is I don't want to ship them from another country.

I've been looking on these headphones, can't decide which one to choose though.
  1. AKG K172 HD
  2. AKG K272 HD
  3. Sennheiser HD 448
  4. Sennheiser HD 200
  5. Sennheiser HD 280

All of these are "closed-back", the K272 is a bit over my price limit but I guess it's OK if they're better.

I also wonder if the only difference between K172 & K272 is that the latter is "around-ear" while the 172 is "on-ear"?

If anyone have tried or seen a review regarding any of these headphones I listed, please comment.
smily_headphones1.gif

Kind Regards,
Force.

Oct 11, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #2 of 33
I like the K 271 a lot for all different kinds of music, and it doesn't require an amp to sound great.

The 272 HD and the 271 MK II (marketed under AKG's professional section) are the same, just with different colors and accessories. I recommend the 271 because it's less expensive than the 272, comes with two cables (detachable) and two different pads. Overall, it's a better value than the 272.

Check my posts; I've written quite a bit on why I like the 271, and what I think its strengths and weaknesses are.

Good luck!

Oct 11, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #3 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by ktsai1283 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the K 271 a lot for all different kinds of music, and it doesn't require an amp to sound great.

The 272 HD and the 271 MK II (marketed under AKG's professional section) are the same, just with different colors and accessories. I recommend the 271 because it's less expensive than the 272, comes with two cables (detachable) and two different pads. Overall, it's a better value than the 272.

Check my posts; I've written quite a bit on why I like the 271, and what I think its strengths and weaknesses are.

Good luck!

Would you say K272 HD / K271 is a HiFi or Studio can? Because a lot of people says it sounds boring & "cold". A studio can is supposed to sound as precise as possible right?

In reviews and stuff they say you've got to put your iPod on full volume to get a reasonable volume. Would for example a cheap headphone amplifier such as the FiiO E5 (or the upcoming E7) fix this?

I've heard that AKG's are a little bit more warm sounding than for example sennheisers that are obtrusively & sharp. Was he just talking crap or is it generally so?

I want my headphone to be sounding warm and I'd like to be able to hear every single instrument in the song. Maybe that's too much to ask for in my budget?

Also, does anyone know if the only difference between K172 & K272 is the design (on-ear/around-ear)?

Kind Regards,
Force.

Oct 11, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #4 of 33
I have a pair of K271. They are great sounding cans, but don't have a "fun" sound signature some people (like me) are looking for. Particularly, I find that my K271s lack punch to the bass, even when amped. I can listen to the bass notes, but not feel them. So I've bought my Ultrasone and DBI cans, which have a more fun presentation.

Oct 11, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #5 of 33
Almoxil, does all AKG headphones have this problem? How about K172 HD (or K171)?

Is Sennheiser better if you want that "punch" to the bass? Is it general among studio headphones to have this not so "fun" sound?

Sorry for all the questions, hope I'm not being annoying. :p

Kind Regards,
Force.

Oct 11, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #6 of 33
For me, neither AKG nor Sennheiser gave that "punch". My K271 doesn't have a satisfying bass impact. The AKG K81DJ I had was the oppostite, having insane ammounts of bass that muddied the sound. The Sennheisers I had or tried (PX100 and HD205) had a veiled presentation which turned me off; too warm for my liking, I guess. Sure, those aren't top of the line models (like the K701 and HD650), but from what I've read about them, neither would have the kind if sound I was after.

So I went the Ultrasone route and never looked back.
wink.gif
They do have great bass quantity and quality, while keeping great detail level. Recently, I've bought a pair of DBI Pro700, which were rather cheap ($30 + S&H off eBay) and sound amazing for their price, having good detail and a very satisfying bass.

Sorry, don't know about the K171/K172. I haven't had or tried them.

Oct 11, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #7 of 33
Ok, the problem is that there's almost no stores here in Sweden that sell Ultrasone unless the high-end models for twice as much money I am willing to spend. :|

But, is it general among studio headphones to have this not so "fun" sound? And is K272 a studio can?

What's really the difference between K172 & K272 except ones being on-ear while the other is around-ear?

Do you guys have any other suggestions for headphones in my budget (~100-140€)?

Kind Regards,
Force.

Oct 11, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #8 of 33
Have you considered anything in the Audio Technica line?
The E5 is cheap, and to be honest I am not impressed - it raises the volume and artificially boosts the bass, but thats about it.

Oct 11, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you considered anything in the Audio Technica line?
The E5 is cheap, and to be honest I am not impressed - it raises the volume and artificially boosts the bass, but thats about it.

No, not yet. As I look for these in swedish stores I actually find a few. Which model do you suggest?
smily_headphones1.gif

Regarding the E5 I know it's cheap, but it's better than nothing don't you think?
smily_headphones1.gif
The FiiO E7 will be released in December, I might buy that one instead since it's going to be a little bit better but also more expensive.

Kind Regards,
Force.

Oct 11, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Force /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, not yet. As I look for these in swedish stores I actually find a few. Which model do you suggest?
smily_headphones1.gif

Regarding the E5 I know it's cheap, but it's better than nothing don't you think?
smily_headphones1.gif
The FiiO E7 will be released in December, I might buy that one instead since it's going to be a little bit better but also more expensive.

Kind Regards,
Force.

I have the fabulous ESW10JPN's - but they are pricey. have a look at the ESW9's

Oct 11, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #12 of 33
senn hd25-1 ii is a great sounding, fun sounding can that takes a beating. absolutely sounds excellent without an amp. my daughter just sold her grado hf1's to get a pair of these. told me last night that they sound awesome outta her ipod. I use mine out of my laptop and they kick a**. they also scale up: they sound fantastic outta my main rig and deliver a lot of what is there to be heard.

Oct 11, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #13 of 33
Closed headphones that are fun to listen to are IMO: GermanMAESTRO GMP 250, M-Audio Studiophile Q40, Sony MDR-XB700, BeyerDynamic DT150.

Oct 12, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #14 of 33
How about the Denon D1001? Relatively affordable entry into the Denon line that is absolutely smooth sounding that has a little kick in the lower bass even without an amp.

I power my AKG271mkII via a Behringer mixer so I can control the bass output. Just a little twist of the low freq knob brings the bass out a bit better. Then I enjoy the music for the rest of the day at the office (velour pads). It however has been relegated to home use because of the D1001 (easier to lug around).

You really can't go wrong with the 271 (either the S or the MKII model). And you can always upgrade in the future. It may not be as "fun" sounding as the Denon, but it sure kept me content, happy, and sane at the office.

BTW the AKG isolates better than the Denon, in case you need that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back