Purchasing Ad900s, need help
Aug 19, 2010 at 11:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6
Forgive me in advance for this duplicate thread here and the Dedicated Source sub-section, but I wasn't exactly sure where to post this. I'm contemplating purchasing the Ad900s after falling in love with my Ad700s. Currently I am using my Ad700s direct to my onboard sound. I have no sound card, no DAC, and no amp. In-fact this is why I posted this in both sections, I'm unsure as to what I need to get to get the most out of these. I see they only have an impedance of 35 ohms so am I correct in my assumption that they don't need an amp to power them and that they, technically, would work great with my set up and on my iPod? If that's the case doesn't that mean I would be best off simply buying a DAC?

If I were to buy a DAC that means I would be fine without an amp yes? Do they act as an amp? If I had a DAC I wouldn't need a sound card correct? If that's the case I was looking into buying the nuForce Icon UDAC2 as it's in my price range ($100-$150) and I've heard great things about the first.

Sorry for the questions that have probably been asked far too many times but just to clarify:

1: Will these headphones be fine without any outside help due to the low impedance?
2: What would better my audio experience? A DAC, AMP, or Soundcard?
3: If I choose a DAC and eventually buy a headphone with a 120ohm impedance would it be able to power the headphones or would I need an amp?
4: Would it be a good idea to buy an amp and a DAC? What about a soundcard as well.

Again I'm sorry and thanks in advance for any answers.

Aug 20, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #2 of 6
You will need an AMP with a DAC but the uDAC2 happens to have a headphone out so you won't need an amp with it but you can if you want.  I don't have much experience but I find a source upgrade (DAC) to be more beneficial than an amp.  I have an AD-900 on the way and already have uDAC, I'm not sure how much different the uDAC2 is but I can tell you how they sound in a few days, if you don't mind the wait.

Aug 20, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #4 of 6
I have A900's (similar low impedance as the AD900, iirc) and they can be powered with onboard sound of my computer or with the headphone out of the uDAC-1 to unbearable volume levels. 

However, a better amp does help control the boominess of the bass and tighten up the mids. 

Aug 23, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #5 of 6
I've only been listening the AD-900 for a few hours so no time for burn-in, brain burn-in and what not but it sounds pretty good with the uDAC.  The uDAC has a midbass hump that should help it out a bit but overall it's a pretty decent combo, I don't think there's any particular aspect of the pairing that needs to be spoken about.

The AD-900 is extremely impressive!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back