Purchased AKG K550
May 30, 2012 at 2:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tim34

New Head-Fier
Hi - Just purchased the AKG K550, my first pair of full size headphones.  I mainly listen to music on my desktop/laptop/android phone.  I have HT system w/Yamaha receiver.  First, I listened to the headphones via the headphone jack on my Altec Lansing speaker system on my desktop and iTunes.  After 15 mins I received a overwheleming buzz in the headphones and no music.  It didn't stop until closed iTunes.  Prior to the buzz, I liked the sound.  The I plugged them into my Yamaha avr and Apple TV and it was a different world and I was really impressed.  Tested on the laptop on Android phone and they were the least impressive.  How can I replicate or match the sound I experienced via the Yamaha avr?  Thanks Tim

May 30, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
Hi - Just purchased the AKG K550, my first pair of full size headphones.  I mainly listen to music on my desktop/laptop/android phone.  I have HT system w/Yamaha receiver.  First, I listened to the headphones via the headphone jack on my Altec Lansing speaker system on my desktop and iTunes.  After 15 mins I received a overwheleming buzz in the headphones and no music.  It didn't stop until closed iTunes.  Prior to the buzz, I liked the sound.  The I plugged them into my Yamaha avr and Apple TV and it was a different world and I was really impressed.  Tested on the laptop on Android phone and they were the least impressive.  How can I replicate or match the sound I experienced via the Yamaha avr?  Thanks Tim

Could be the DAC in the Android phone is a really low cost DAC.
I would assume Yamaha A/V receivers would come with at least half-way decent DAC(s)
Apple products usually come with decent DACs

Could also be the Android tries to save power by being very limited on how much voltage and current it supplies to the headphone jack.
Where as the Yamaha and Apple T.V. have lots of power to spare.
You can at least trying something a like a Fiio E11 portable headphone amplifier, buy it from a place where the return policy favors the customer.

May 30, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #3 of 5
Thank you for the recommendation regarding the amp.  Yeah, they sound great from the Yamaha.  I will keep them if I can get them to sound nearly that good on my desktop/laptop.  For my Android phone I normally use Denon AH-C710 in-ears which work well.  Also, I have old Yamaha AVR in the closet.  I was toying with the idea of hooking that up my desktop, although, it is a huge AVR and doesn't address the laptop.  Maybe I'll return the AKGs and upgrade to a better pair of IEM.

May 30, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #4 of 5
I just got these as well and they pair really well with my iBasso D7, which will work with your laptop/desktop but not your phone.

May 30, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #5 of 5
The DAC/AMPs like iBasso D7 canbe use with PC/Laptop and it will almost good as desktop rig and price is great compared to performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back