purchase of superlux 668b, over Grado and Dennon.
Feb 4, 2013 at 5:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kefalo81

New Head-Fier
Hello head fi community first greetings from Serbia :)
I have dilemma about about purchase of superlux 668b. Currently I am owner of grado sr80i and denon dh hp500. sorce is asus xonar dx and amp is cmoy.
I am curious about should i get any enhance, if i buy superlux 668b in comparing to grado and denon which i currently have. Can you describe me sound colour of these headphones,I have experience with AKG k141, Audio Technica m50, Sennheiser hd558, and hd700, so are they similar with any of these? In addition, I prefer jazz music, so you have a guideline for my dilemma.

Feb 4, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:
I have dilemma about about purchase of superlux 668b. Currently I am owner of grado sr80i and denon dh hp500. sorce is asus xonar dx and amp is cmoy.
I am curious about should i get any enhance, if i buy superlux 668b in comparing to grado and denon which i currently have. Can you describe me sound colour of these headphones,I have experience with AKG k141, Audio Technica m50, Sennheiser hd558, and hd700, so are they similar with any of these? In addition, I prefer jazz music, so you have a guideline for my dilemma.

Heya,

The 668B is kind of side grade, but it's an inexpensive step to a full size semi-open for you which will likely be more comfortable. It will perform jazz nicely. The treble might be a little bright, so maybe try to EQ it down a little. Jazz is nice when it's mellow, moody and warm. But that's subjective, so just try things to see what you prefer. The 668B will probably be a little more like the HD558 that you tried, but a touch brighter perhaps and maybe a little more meat in the lower register. A touch less comfortable to wear. Maybe seek out some AKG K240 velour pads.

I know headphones are wildly priced where you are, so the 668B is a great value for it's sonic ability. Should be a nice addition for you.

Very best,

Feb 4, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
I have dilemma about about purchase of Superlux 668b. Currently I am owner of grado sr80i and denon dh hp500. source is Asus Xonar DX and amp is cmoy.
I am curious about should i get any enhance, if i buy Superlux 668b in comparing to Grado and Denon which i currently have. Can you describe me sound colour of these headphones,I have experience with AKG k141, Audio Technica m50, Sennheiser hd558, and hd700, so are they similar with any of these? In addition, I prefer jazz music, so you have a guideline for my dilemma.

I do own the HD668B (broken) and I've never listed to the SR80i and Denon DH HP500s, but I would say to save up some more cash for better headphones then the HD668B, to make it more worth while.
If you do end up getting the HD668B, you can order them from Thomann and get the AKG K240 Velour ear pads to go with them.
Total would be around 46 Euros, plus shipping.

Feb 4, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #4 of 4
I have listened or owned all these 3 previously.

668b being circumaural will be more comfortable. It will have deeper sound stage then the SR80 and HP500. The SR80 is brighter than 668b for sure but Superlux 668/681 (I only have experience with these 2) have these sudden treble spike which is very piercing at least for me. SR80 sometime have these issue but as long as you do not turn on the volume too high they are OK. The 668b treble spike is less predictable and I cannot get use to them because of that reason.

But for the price it is not bad really. There are many other better phones than Superlux at similar price for sure. MalVeauX should be able to advice you if you want other recommendation beside 668b.

Comparing the 3:

Comfort: 668b -> HP500 -> SR80
Brightness: SR80 -> 668b -> HP500
Bass: 668b -> HP500 -> SR80
Fun: SR80 -> HP500 -> 668b
Mid: SR80 -> 668b -> HP500
General: HP500 -> SR800 -> 668b
Isolation: HP500 -> 668b -> SR80

These are my personal opinions so take it as a reference point only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back