Puppy got the m50
Jun 17, 2012 at 2:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

dnullify

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

Quick question. Not 10 minutes ago, my (huge) puppy was left unattended for 10 minutes, found my brother's m50s and chewed clear through the cable.

I doubt this is even remotely covered by warranty so I was wondering if there's any sort of fix, as far as inexpensive re-cabling.
I have no idea whether audio technica can repair this, or how much it will cost. The best i can do is solder the wires together and tape it up, but that's hardly a fix. I'd be willing to DIY fix it, because they're pretty much useless already.

I'd appreciate any advice, especially if anyone's had this issue before.

thanks!

Jun 17, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #2 of 6
I have the ath-m50's and they're fairly easy to mod regarding detachable cables which would fix your issue, this thread might help! http://www.head-fi.org/t/553483/ath-m50-removable-cable-mod/120

Jun 17, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #3 of 6
you can recable it.. if the cable that get chewed off is long enough you can use it and solder it back to the driver after removing the remaining cable or you can get another cable e.g. canare, mogami, etc. to replace the original cable. i dont think it will cost much.

at where you live, do you have headphone DIYers community or something? they might be able to help you... here in my country there are several DIYers that offers recabling and all sorts of modification.. they can fix things too

Jun 17, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #4 of 6
I could probably do it myself, i have some experience with cabling and just soldering in general. My only concern would be i don't know how the strain relief would be done. I don't have any heat shrink, or anything. basically, will i be able to recable it so that it is as durable a joint as it would be stock?

Are there any terminated cables i can use for this, or would i have to buy a jack and terminate them myself?
Are there any coiled cables like the M50's stock cable? My brother actually found the coiled cable pretty useful for his uses, so i'd like to replace it as it was.

I wonder if i can purchase the stock cable from Audio technica. Their repairs page doesn't look like they're going to be cheap or easy about doing the repair.

Jun 17, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #6 of 6
i could, and at the worst send it in to the sound professionals for $40. However, does making the cable add impedance? It is adding a jack chassis to the mix? Would it detract from sound quality?

I know some headphones are designed with removable cables, so probably not but i'm not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back