punk rockers...where are you
Jul 9, 2002 at 2:57 PM Post #61 of 99
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD
Big question.
If I like the remade Misfits , which I do, would I also like the original Misfits? Did the style of music change? Just the names of the songs from the original Misfits sounds like my kind of music.
-mommie can I go out and kill tonight?
-die,die,die my darling
-death comes ripping
-little angel *****
-too much horror business
I prefer hard and fast with dark and rude.

MPD

I think you pretty much summed up the Misfits with Danzig:

"I prefer hard and fast with dark and rude."

Do yourself a favor, go pick up collection I and ESPECIALLY collection II, you wont be disappointed.

Jul 9, 2002 at 3:05 PM Post #62 of 99
Thank You gloco!
I have written down your suggestions so I when I get to the store and go brain dead again, I will have notes.
wink.gif

If my plan for today goes through I may be in a place where I saw that coffin shaped box set once. If they have it, they won't when I leave.

Jul 11, 2002 at 12:13 PM Post #63 of 99
During Punk's heyday I was regular in the New York scene. I was lucky enough to see all the bands at the starting gate at both Max's and CBGB's. Both Television and Patti Smith remain favorites to this day. One band which I was really impressed with but failed to make it was a group called Suicide which featured two guys Alan Vega and Martin Rev. They were kinda of a cross between the German band Can and Iggy Pop.
The Stranglers were also a favorite at that time but I was never able to see them live.

Jul 12, 2002 at 4:35 AM Post #64 of 99
I really don't like the Misfits. I bought Collections II and thought it was terrible... I don't understand... I do like Last Caress (surprise) but most of the other songs are really dumb. (Helen Delambre Oh The King Of The Flies) lol I have no clue what they're talkin about.

HOWEVER...

If you like Political Punk at all, or just punk in general, or if you don't like punk at all, check out the band Propagandhi. They are the best band I've ever heard, and have not found a person who disliked them!

BTW...

New Blink = Terrible
Old Blink = Pretty Good

Jul 12, 2002 at 6:05 AM Post #65 of 99
Fizzmix; That's interesting. What if I am a part of the vast right wing conspiracy? Which I am
very_evil_smiley.gif

Will I be offended by this Propagandhi band?
[size=xx-small]Please note that sometimes I like to be offended.[/size]

MPD

Jul 12, 2002 at 7:15 PM Post #66 of 99
They're very left wing. Although, you may still like them. My mom is right wing and she likes them!
smily_headphones1.gif

If you want to check out some of their good songs, look for A People's History Of The World, Showdown, Middle Finger Response, or Anti-Manifesto. That is of course, if you are into the whole pirated music thing
wink.gif
If not, you should check out the cd Less Talk More Rock. I think it's their best.

Jul 13, 2002 at 5:19 PM Post #67 of 99
Okay Fizzmix I wrote that down and will look for it.
gloco, I ordered Collection II yesterday before I went to work. I was unable to get my s**t together enough to get to a store in person.

Jul 14, 2002 at 6:54 AM Post #68 of 99
I prefer The Weakerthans to Propaghandi
biggrin.gif

These discussions about who is really punk and who isn't hardcore enough to be punk kind of annoy me. I listen to a lot of punk music, I don't really care if it's part of a movement or not, if I like the sound or I like a direction some bands go in, I buy their CD and go to their shows. End of story.

Jul 14, 2002 at 8:41 AM Post #69 of 99
Yea, good call RMS. I say listen to whatever you like, and don't let what other people's feelings on certain bands dictate what you listen to or don't listen to. Yea the Weakerthans are a lot more poetic, but I don't feel they are are strong musically. Today's Empires, Tomorrow's Ashes was an upset for me though, being a HUGE fan of their first 3 cds. Do you know of any other good political punk bands a-la-Propagandhi RMS?

Jul 16, 2002 at 1:52 PM Post #71 of 99
what do you guys think about the band at the drive in as far as a political punk bands go. love to hear your thoughts and ideas

Jul 17, 2002 at 1:39 PM Post #72 of 99
Quote:

Originally posted by blink180tone
what do you guys think about the band at the drive in as far as a political punk bands go. love to hear your thoughts and ideas

I haven't been to the drive in years. Who is playing there?

Jul 17, 2002 at 9:36 PM Post #73 of 99
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD

I haven't been to the drive in years. Who is playing there?

'at the drive in' is a band. not sure if you were trying to be funny or just didnt know

Sep 15, 2002 at 5:06 AM Post #75 of 99
I now have Misfits-CollectionII and Walk Among Us
I also have "Lame" Misfits- Cuts From the Crypt and American Psycho.
Sorry gloco but I prefer the new Misfits. Mostly due to better production, more polished and more of that "wall of noise" factor. I like the original Misfits, I just like the new incarnation better.

Ever heard of Darlington? They try to sound like the Ramones, most of the songs on their self titled CD are rather lame.

Speaking of Ramones, I got All The Stuff and More Volume 2. It has I Wanna Be Sedated and Sheena is a Punk Rocker both recomended here. 30 tracks total.

I've picked up Guttermouth- Covered With Ants; this is very good there is one song that I really like called Chug A Lug Night it brought out lots of memories.

Also got Rancid- .....And Out Come The Wolves; This is one of the best albums I have ever purchased. It has Ruby Soho, and Olympia WA, which are two of my favorites.

Bad Religion- The Process of Belief. Who ever said these guys aren't punk may be right. This is a good album and I like it very much. It is borderline punk when compared to Ramones or Rancid or even NOFX.

I have picked up 3 of the Punk-O-Rama CD's, Vol's 7,6,and 4. These are great with a good variety of bands and styles for 6 bucks. The newest one, Volume 7 cost me $7.99 but I think I got ripped. Good stuff, cheap price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back