punk rockers...where are you
Jul 2, 2002 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 99

blink180tone

Head-Fier
i am kinda new here but i have noticed that no one ever talks about punk music or anything that might be considered punk. if there is any punk rockers out there please let me know....i feel so alone

Jul 2, 2002 at 4:04 AM Post #2 of 99
What do you mean by punk music?
Personally I'm not too deeply into punk (I used to be like 5 years ago) but I do like some of the more mainstream "punk-pop" bands.

I remember you mentioning Box Car Racer a short while ago and because of your username I take it you like Blink 182 as well.

I admit I've been a big fan of Blink since Dude Ranch, and BCR's new album is really growing on me, it's a lot better than I was expecting, a LOT better. I remember loving Green Day about 5 years ago and I still think they're decent but haven't listened to their music in a while.

Let's see, what else is there....Good Charlotte and Sum41 are good in small doses (I like Fat Lip and Makes No Difference, but I really dislike the new song of theirs on the Spiderman soundtrack)

Jul 2, 2002 at 8:09 AM Post #4 of 99
I love the old stuff, like minor threat, Black Flag and the Dead Kennedies. The new Kennedies Live in SF album is amazing, with excellent quality for a 20 year old live punk rock recording.

Personally, I wouldn't go near pop-punk ala Blink and Green Day, but that's just me. I'm sure as hell not going to argue that it's not valid or 'punk', there's too muc musical snobbery on this board as it is.

Jul 2, 2002 at 11:56 AM Post #5 of 99
I saw many of the original groups live in their prime, plus hung out at all Chicago clubs:
Neo
Exit (even when it was downtown 400 n clark st)
Lucky Number
metro/smart bar
la mere (the 1st club in Chicago)
king tuts

Saw many groups live at:
park west
aaragon ballroom
uptown
rivieria
metro
king tuts

Five best old school punk Cds:
sex pistols - nevermind the bollocks
buzzcocks - singles going steady
DOA - bloodied but unbowed
clash - the clash (1st CD)
Misfits - everything pre Earth AD

Jul 2, 2002 at 12:04 PM Post #6 of 99
hey Blink180tone, you're not alone. am into some punk and hardcore, both old and new.

old stuff like Negative Approach and some of the old Boston/NY HC bands.
newer stuff like Tear It Up, Nine Shocks Terror, What Happens Next?, some metalcore stuff.
of course some of the 'classic' stuff ie Buzzcocks, the Clash etc.
and some of the pop-punk stuff as well like Screeching Weasel, Rhythm Collision, (earlier) Green Day etc.

... as regards the pop-punk 'debate', my two cents worth would be that it's great if that's what you like, but don't forget that punk is a genre that is a whole lot wider than what you get on the radio and MTV - it's not just songs about girls hahaha. look forward to seeing more of your posts in the future!

Jul 2, 2002 at 2:55 PM Post #7 of 99
Quote:

Originally posted by sapphiremodena
I admit I've been a big fan of Blink since Dude Ranch, and BCR's new album is really growing on me, it's a lot better than I was expecting, a LOT better.

i would deffinately have to agree. the first time i listened to the cd i thought o great more poppy recycled blink music. but then i took another listen and then another, and although i dont like all the tracks, i feel the cd on a whole is pretty damb good. i especially like "cat like theif," where tim armstrong from rancid sings. anyway glad there is someone else out there who can enjoy it

Jul 2, 2002 at 3:01 PM Post #8 of 99
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel

Five best old school punk Cds:
sex pistols - nevermind the bollocks
buzzcocks - singles going steady
DOA - bloodied but unbowed
clash - the clash (1st CD)
Misfits - everything pre Earth AD

i deffinately have to agree with you on the sex pistols and the clash.....i always have those 2cds heavy rotation. but you cant forget about the ramones. they kisck just as much ass

as far as the pop-punk debate goes i would have to say that some of it deffinately tickles my fancy, but after a while it gets really redundant and old. those poppy guitar riffs can get on anyone's nerves after a while.

yes i do love blink, but would recomend anything after dude ranch. thats when i feel that they went for the money (just my opnion, i could be wrong).

and if you think green day is all pop-punk i suggest you take a listen to anything before dookie....ie kerplunk and 39 special.

other punk bands i enjoy
nofx
rancid
bad religion
television (might not be punk but sounds similar and good)
the clash
the ramones
the sex pistols
drop kick murphys

pop-punk bands
mxpx
blink 182
green day
sum41
good charlotte
a new found glory (everything except that new cd)
fenix tx
the ataris

i could go on and on but this will do for now

Jul 2, 2002 at 4:16 PM Post #9 of 99
I like NOFX. Also Guttermouth, Dropkick Murphys, Bad Religion, The Bouncing Souls and I'm still deciding if I like Rancid or not.
Are The Hives considered punk? I kinda like them. I like some of The Ramones stuff. I have never heard anything by the Sex Pistols. I really like The Offspring, they can be punk sometimes. The only Blink 182 CD I have is Take Off Your Pants and Jacket. Not real impressed, but not bad. Sum 41 All Killer and no Filler is okay. I didn't realize The Clash was considered punk. I had Combat Rock and really couldn't get into it.

Jul 2, 2002 at 5:52 PM Post #10 of 99
I like a lot of the old-school punk bands, The Clash, the Ramones, and Rancid especially. Unfortunately I don't know anything about any newer punk bands because we don't have a radio station in town that ever plays any of that kind of stuff. However, I don't really like Blink 182, which I guess a lot of people consider punk ... a like stuff that's "harder" than that, I guess.

If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

kerelybonto

Jul 2, 2002 at 7:59 PM Post #11 of 99
man, i consider punk much more of an attitude than a genre. i also don't think you can be "kinda punk", you either are or you aren't.

the hives aren't bad, but the lead singer acts way too much like mick jagger and they seem to want to be the who meets the kinks, i think in the music labeling buisness they're getting filed under garage.

punk to me definitely includes the clash, early - mid the who, the stooges, the new york dolls, the headcoats, the buzzcocks, the oblivians, the ramones, the velvet underground, syd barrett, hell a lot of stuff. the music period i find most interesting were the 60s and 70s when punk wasn't quite punk yet, but it wasn't rock and roll either... i also follow the ramones philosophy that if the song is over 4 minutes, its probably too damned long.

i have to admit i file blink182 and green day under the mall punk category: to me its like people who think the offspring are punk. its too easy, it doesn't push enough boundaries, and its too damned pop, which is the antithesis of what i think punk is supposed to be about.

kerelybronto,

dark angel's list is a great starting point. i suggest diving into some of iggy and the stooges stuff (especially the self titled album and his, not bowie's, version of raw power) and the middle two velvet underground albums (white light/white heat and velvet underground). after that you can go in a hell of a lot of directions, and you'll know if you want to go brit or new york
wink.gif

for recent material get anything involving an oblivian, the oblivian's pill poppers and the compulsive gamblers' crystal gazing luck amazing aren't bad intro albums.

i stongly suspect that you'd turn into a big richard hell and the voltoids fan from what i've seen of your posts. worth a shot as well...

hell of a topic btw,
carlo.

Jul 2, 2002 at 8:10 PM Post #12 of 99
I forgot to mention, I've been a fan of Goldfinger for a long time, except I have sort of lost interest lately, I haven't even listened to any of their new album (besides the single, which I've heard one time). Also, check out Face to Face. I've liked them since I was like 10, and I still don't understand why they aren't more well-known.

If anyone is wondering why I'm mentioning the more recent, radio-friendly punk bands, it's because I was never around for any of the other revolutionary bands you've mentioned (I was born in '85), and because I'm not too involved in the punk scene to begin with.

Jul 2, 2002 at 8:43 PM Post #13 of 99
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD
The only Blink 182 CD I have is Take Off Your Pants and Jacket. Not real impressed, but not bad.

if you want to listen to anything good by blink check out dude ranch or cheshire cat. those two cds rock...after that they got soft. and your qoute kicks ass

Jul 2, 2002 at 8:50 PM Post #14 of 99
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD
The only Blink 182 CD I have is Take Off Your Pants and Jacket. Not real impressed, but not bad.

if you want to listen to anything good by blink check out dude ranch or cheshire cat. those two cds rock...after that they got soft. and your qoute kicks ass

Jul 2, 2002 at 8:50 PM Post #15 of 99
Blink 182 is NOT punk by any means though. They are what real punks call "candyass/trendipunk" or "mallpunk" or "girlpunk". Im more into the goth scene myself, but quite a few of my friends are into the punk scene.

I love listening to Teenage Jesus and the Jerks, Siouxsie, Misfits/Danzig, Dead Kennedys, Manimals, the Damned, the Cramps.etc

I'm actually thinking about getting a misfits tatoo soon
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back