Punch-Drunk Love
Oct 29, 2002 at 8:33 AM Post #2 of 9
I really want to go see the movie. I have this feeling, that it won't make it anywhere close to me though.

Oct 29, 2002 at 10:37 AM Post #3 of 9
I saw the trailer and I was skeptical. I like PT Anderson's other films (boogie nights, magnolia), but Adam Sandler...? I found the novelty of him in a serious role to be interesting... but the trailer left a bit more to be desired.

But who am I to judge a movie based on a trailer? I'll probably give it a shot at some point.

Oct 29, 2002 at 3:04 PM Post #5 of 9
i can't wait to see it, i've been wanting to see it since opening night but haven't.
frown.gif

magnolia does rule and i am very interested in seeing it.

Oct 30, 2002 at 3:52 AM Post #6 of 9
domhinator - Let's hope you get the opportunity to see it sometime soon.

LobsterSan - Do yourself a favour and put aside the fact that it's Adam Sandler. I hardly even thought about it throughout the movie, and I enjoyed the movie a lot more that way, to take the movie for what it is, rather than basing my opinions on the actors instead of the characters. And believe me, I have done that in the past and it has probably made a lot of great films a lot less enjoyable for me.

raymondlin - Unfortunately I was too involved in the movie and the characters to think about the music. All I remember musically was that song with the lyrics "...he needs me, he needs me..." that you can hear in the trailer.

grinch - Definitely see it. And all-around very enjoyable film.

Oct 30, 2002 at 4:59 AM Post #7 of 9
No mention of Emily Watson yet. Damn, she's one of my most favorite actresses out there. She would most definitely be my draw to see this film; however, her last comedy didn't do much for me. Hilary & Jackie and Breaking the Waves are two of her films I highly recommend. Hilary & Jackie is about Hilary and Jacqueline du Pré -- the muscian sisters.

Oct 30, 2002 at 5:18 AM Post #8 of 9
neil: i opted to see bjork in lars von trier's dancer in the dark, and i fear from reviews that it is VERY similar to breaking the waves. is this true, or should i just go see it anyways?

sapphiremodena: i will keep that in mind. a good movie is a good movie in its own right, and you are correct that biases and presuppositions should not taint a good experience. i think i did the same thing with truman show -- i was not able to like the movie because of the jim carrey character.

Oct 30, 2002 at 6:39 AM Post #9 of 9
It is interesting that a movie that is so valley (San Fernando) centric will interest those outside of the valley. I worked in a building next to La Petit Chateau (where Sandler ruins the Bathroom), a small french place on Lankershim. Perhaps if you are not from the valley, you would not see all of his comments regarding the (damn) place...

(please do not imply that I will say that all movies are from around here and are therefore Angelino... this is one of the few that does away with the "image" and is dedicated to the actual streets, the actual restaurants, the types etc.)

On the narrative, I saw the movie, and was not totally impressed. It is as if PT Anderson and Todd Solondz (Hapiness) decided to make a comedy together: Happy, Unhappy, Lustful, Drunk, End; An anecdotal brooding pt meets violent Todd and a drunk Sandler.

As for Emily Watson, while I adored her in Breaking the Waves, is IMHO unimpressive here. She is okay, but my expectations were MUCH higher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back