PSB Speakers M4U 4 --- Hybrid BA/Dynamic IEM
May 31, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #2 of 330
Looking forward to it. I do hope the similarity between the IQ in outwardly appearance doesn't transition into the sonic similarities.

Jun 1, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #5 of 330
Considering that this model will also follow the Room Feel target that's very similar to the Olive-Welti target, it *should* be good. If they can get the timing right and the bass driver tight without losing extension, it'll be pretty nice. The HP20's problem was a midrange that was too thin compared to its bass, which decayed for a bit too long.

Jun 1, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #6 of 330
I was wondering why I never saw a thread on these and it turns out they weren't being sold. So these were a 2 way hybrid design?
The body of the earpieces facing the ear didn't seem that smoothly shaped, and from a very quick listen it seemed like it was going for a warm balance similar to the larger PSB headphones.

Jun 1, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #7 of 330
It is certainly interesting to see that they put the BA further away.

Also, and maybe this is just me - does the 8mm dynamic looks like it is mounted in reversed / backward?

Jun 1, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #8 of 330
  It is certainly interesting to see that they put the BA further away. Also, and maybe this is just me - does the 8mm dynamic looks like it is mounted in reversed / backward?

Well, I think what they did was get the quarter-wave resonances right with the tubing lengh/diameter in the BA part first, and tried to calculate/match the timing of the bass relative to the BA by porting across the housings. It's possible they also phase shifted the woofer with the crossover to make timing match better, but who knows --- it's possible the crossover is just a high-pass for the BA. Just a guess.

Jun 1, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #9 of 330

Well, I think what they did was get the quarter-wave resonances right with the tubing lengh/diameter in the BA part first, and tried to calculate/match the timing of the bass relative to the BA by porting across the housings. It's possible they also phase shifted the woofer with the crossover to make timing match better, but who knows --- it's possible the crossover is just a high-pass for the BA. Just a guess.

I was following the same line of thought. It would certainly be the most complex tuning of dual driver hybrid I have ever seen, if that's the case.

Jul 24, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #11 of 330
Looks like at least the black version is available on Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/PSB-Definition-Monitors-Headphones-Diamond/dp/B00XKA6Q8W/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1437738131&sr=8-6&keywords=psb+m4u+4

Seems kinda weird that PSB's website still says "Coming Soon"...

Jul 24, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #12 of 330
  Looks like at least the black version is available on Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/PSB-Definition-Monitors-Headphones-Diamond/dp/B00XKA6Q8W/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1437738131&sr=8-6&keywords=psb+m4u+4

Seems kinda weird that PSB's website still says "Coming Soon"...

Not every web site is well run.  Maybe they're waiting to update it until after some reviews hit the net.

Aug 4, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #14 of 330
I have seen one store sale this, not sure if it is legit or not.

It should be because it's been only weeks since it came out and has been on sale on Amazon.com from PSB themselves only so far. I'm pretty sure retailers should be starting to get them. These are pretty rare too so I would never think they would not be legit.
Are you considering getting them? You would be the first on Head-fi.

Aug 4, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #15 of 330
Hardly now days I am really turned off by the entire process of spending money after money hoping for that holy grail of audio. Despite all that for this particular item I am willing to break my oath and try one second last time .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back