PSB M4U1 - Thoughts?
Aug 31, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #406 of 630
Thanks. I googled and found a recipe for downloading a free tool (Soundflower, I think) and pairing that with one of Apple's audio dev tools to essentially create a system-level EQ tool accessible via preferences. Since it involves a few downloads, some jiggering, and a reboot, I haven't yet done it. 

http://www.dctrwatson.com/2011/06/os-x-system-equalizer/

Sep 5, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #407 of 630
Got a new project coming up in about 10-20 days. For a super low price of $15 CND total I got some eBay parts on a slow boat from China to make a new cable. Can't wait! Impressions and pictures as soon as everything arrives.

Cable:

100%Brand new and high quality
32 Core Repair OCC Cable For DIY Hifiman Headphone
Color:  Black
3.5MM gold-plated copper plug
Core is 0.05 * 32 + 250D nylon yarn
Single diameter about: 1.8MM
Cord length :1.15M
32 Core

beerchug.gif

Sep 5, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #408 of 630
Got to do a bunch of A/B testing with a few friends at work : m4u1 compared with oppo pm-3 and b&w p7 and Senn Momentum over ear. Interesting stuff and I'll post complete thoughts later (I'm demoing pm-3 as part of oppo loaner program), but the PSBs show the best mix of sound quality, comfort and easy drivability. We all suspect the PM-3s would please more people more of the time driven by a quality dac/amp chain (and they're nice as heck, design and build-wise), but straight from a laptop or smartphone, the PSBs really shine.

That said, has anyone tried the M4U1 with a cozoy Astrapi or Oppo ha-2?

I'm thinking of buying a relatively low cost dac/amp. Primarily this would be for desktop use with a MacBook, but I'd like it to pull double duty with iOS devices.

Would also want to drive my Ety ER4S with it.

Sep 5, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #409 of 630
Got to do a bunch of A/B testing with a few friends at work...

That said, has anyone tried the M4U1 with a cozoy Astrapi or Oppo ha-2?

The M4U 1 sound good even out of a toaster (if that were possible), which makes them remarkable in my book. However, given your source, iDevice and laptop, the M4U 1 would definitely benefit from a high quality DAC/Amp.

While I have not personally tried the amps you mention, I have used very similar devices (with better specs) and can tell you with complete certainty that a better amp will move the M4U 1 to the next level. Yes the PSBs are easy to drive, but having not only more power (oomph, not volume) but better quality really make the M4U 1 shine (ya, I know that goes for most headphones).

I recently picked up a Creative SoundBlaster E3 for use with my iPod and Hackintosh (my Teac is in the shop) and all I can say is WOW! Compared to my iPod Touch 6G and onboard ALC898, music (and games) come alive. I find at times at high volume with a standard source the upper mids can sound a touch peaky, with an amp (my E3 [and Audioengine D1]) they are smoothed out. Treble gets a touch of sparkle. The bass....that bass....beautiful; more impact, more weight, better detail, and NO extra bloat.

And then you add in a better cable into the mix and the M4U 1 are near untouchable.

Suggestion: Neutron for iOS/Android is probably the best sounding and feature rich player currently available. Highly recommend purchasing it.

beerchug.gif

Sep 5, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #410 of 630
I recently picked up a Creative SoundBlaster E3 for use with my iPod and Hackintosh (my Teac is in the shop) and all I can say is WOW! Compared to my iPod Touch 6G and onboard ALC898, music (and games) come alive. I find at times at high volume with a standard source the upper mids can sound a touch peaky, with an amp (my E3 [and Audioengine D1]) they are smoothed out. Treble gets a touch of sparkle. The bass....that bass....beautiful; more impact, more weight, better detail, and NO extra bloat.

You have a D1? You like it? I've long been a fan of their powered speakers, but heard only so-so reviews of the D3. Do you use the d1 as a combo, or DAC-only?

Sep 5, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #411 of 630
You have a D1? You like it? I've long been a fan of their powered speakers, but heard only so-so reviews of the D3. Do you use the d1 as a combo, or DAC-only?

Combo. It's headphone amp is decent enough to power 250Ohm. Works flawlessly without any drivers.

beerchug.gif

Sep 10, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #412 of 630

Wasn't really looking for new cans, but couldn't pass these up at 200 kiwi pesos (approx 130 USD at the mo). Would have preferred black or grey but these were the last pair left.

Not quite as comfy as my ATH A500X or MDR XB950BT, however not bad given the strong clamping force. 

Streaming Tidal HiFi via an FiiO E07k (bass set to +6db) and very pleased with them. Excellent transparency, detail, soundstage and dynamics.

Sep 11, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #413 of 630

Wasn't really looking for new cans, but couldn't pass these up at 200 kiwi pesos (approx 130 USD at the mo). Would have preferred black or grey but these were the last pair left.

Not quite as comfy as my ATH A500X or MDR XB950BT, however not bad given the strong clamping force. 

Streaming Tidal HiFi via an FiiO E07k (bass set to +6db) and very pleased with them. Excellent transparency, detail, soundstage and dynamics.
Congrats. Don't mind the red as the SQ on that is really wonderful. You won't see the red while using it anyway...just don't get out of the house with it...:D

Sep 12, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #414 of 630
Had the chance to try out the PSB long enough with the FiiO E12 (with bass boost off) and they're a match made in heaven. The slight stridency of the PSB were really gone. This combo clearly beats my previous O2 combo.

Sep 12, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #415 of 630
Had the chance to try out the PSB long enough with the FiiO E12 (with bass boost off) and they're a match made in heaven. The slight stridency of the PSB were really gone. This combo clearly beats my previous O2 combo.

REALLY, it eliminated the stridency?  What about the litttthhhpy sounding sibilance?

I've also heard that using something other than the absolutely crappy cable that comes stock with the M4U 1 helps to eliminate stridence and sibilance.

Sep 13, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #416 of 630
REALLY, it eliminated the stridency?  What about the litttthhhpy sounding sibilance?

I've also heard that using something other than the absolutely crappy cable that comes stock with the M4U 1 helps to eliminate stridence and sibilance.

Yes, sibilance too. I also use an OCC headphone cable.

Sep 13, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #417 of 630
Oct 5, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #419 of 630
Anyone know of modifications to the PSB to improve comfort/performance? Maybe different ear pads or maybe make those little holes under the pads larger?

How Long have you had them? I have had them for a few months Either my head got smaller or They are broken in just a bit but they are almost as comfortable as My M50x's. I wear the for Hours on end at work.I switched the Cable with a mid road Monster and I did hear a slight improvement similar to what Diamond Ears has said.  I do have OCC cables or on the List. What's your source amp dac etc?

Oct 5, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #420 of 630
How Long have you had them? I have had them for a few months Either my head got smaller or They are broken in just a bit but they are almost as comfortable as My M50x's. I wear the for Hours on end at work.I switched the Cable with a mid road Monster and I did hear a slight improvement similar to what Diamond Ears has said.  I do have OCC cables or on the List. What's your source amp dac etc?

Don't get me wrong. It's not that they're uncomfortable or sound bad. For portable cans they sound very good. And are pretty comfortable. It's just that my non-portable gear sounds so much better I'd like to shorten the gap between them. For home fostex th900 (fully moded) with cavalli liquid glass and premium tubes. My portable is PSB powered by dx90. I've already changed the cable to an eberry with noticeable improvement. I have two PSBs, one for my wife, so I can do easy a/b comparisons. One is slightly less comfortable. I'll mod that one. But if I could find alternative ear pads to try that would be great. When the ear pads break in they will only get flatter. And less comfortable. That's why they gave us extra pairs. If I can find a good alternative I won't have to rebuild these ear pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back