PSB M4U and amp
Jul 1, 2014 at 7:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

prestonrich

New Head-Fier
(New to this forum)...does anyone know whether the PSB M4U1 or M4U2 would improve with the addition of an amp like the Schiit Asgard2 or similar amp?  I'll be playing classical MP3 files cut at 192k from an iPod Classic through an Arcam Dr. Dock DAC.

Jul 2, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #2 of 5
  (New to this forum)...does anyone know whether the PSB M4U1 or M4U2 would improve with the addition of an amp like the Schiit Asgard2 or similar amp?  I'll be playing classical MP3 files cut at 192k from an iPod Classic through an Arcam Dr. Dock DAC.

I only auditioned the PSB M4U2 and 1. Based on my experiences with other headphones in the low impedance range, they do sound better from an amp (the M4U2 in non-NC mode). My Schiit Asgard is making everything sound better to my ears (except my T90s, there I like tubes better). However - the effect is not a night and day difference. So in your case, you might not hear a gigantic improvement but it's certainly there. 

The Asgard2 is a great amp. However, since the M4U2 has noise canceling circuitry, it does amplify the sound if NC is on. So if you plan on listening to music with noise canceling on, you don't need an amp. In general these two headphones don't really NEED an amp, so maybe you just start without one, get one from Schiit and if you don't hear any improvement, send it back.

Cheers,
K

Jul 2, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #3 of 5
K--

If using the Asgard 2 with the M4u2 in NC mode is there a marked reduction in listening with one amp feeding into the other? I notice the M4U2 has 3 modes, an active, passive and amp mode. In which mode can I best use the Asgard 2?

Jul 2, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #4 of 5
if you use the headphone with the Asgard the best mode would be passive.

Without an external amp it would be NC or amp mode.

Cheers,
K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back