PSB M4U 2
Jun 28, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #31 of 733
Quote:
I'm gonna throw out a hazard on the bolded part. Be careful with these cans, as you can easily get up to "not safe for human consumption" levels with no distortion, or at least I sometimes do
basshead.gif
 with a great album.

So I can assume you are a fan of the PSB?  What are your thoughts compared to other headphones you have compared?

Jun 28, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #32 of 733
AQuote:
So I can assume you are a fan of the PSB?  What are your thoughts compared to other headphones you have compared?

I'm quite fond of the M4U 2, that's definite!

Before making this purchase (major one for me and my $$), I'd done a little/lot of reading and finding several very popular headphones on this site and a couple other sites that were supposed to bring my audio to new levels. The ones I got to listen to were open backed cans (Shure, AKG), and according to what I'd read, should have wowed me. Both were great sounding with the typical "pop" music (**** with singers, bass guitars, rhythm guitars, etc), but sounded very strange to me when the DnB was tested. The airy-ness from both just sounded too strange for me.

I also at the time quickly tested some cheaper "closed" Senn's which were a step or 2 up from my HD202. They didn't have many higher end closed ones, and in listening I heard nothing spectacular from them but they sounded better to me than either of the "open" cans I tested. This confirmed to me, I wanted closed cans, but these Senn's were not $200 better than the ones I currently had.

I found a stereo shop that had high-end Sennheiser, Grado, some very out-of-my-price-range electrostatics, and they'd just got the PSB. I never even bothered testing with Grado as my reading indicated to me that they'd be better for the pop fans (as described above) than an electro-head like myself. 

I had my D2 with me and demo'd the PSBs quite excitedly, as I have a pair of their nicer albeit old tower speakers. I was floored with their "almost like my home speakers" sound, and very impressed with their capabilities. I took into account that I'd never need an additional headphone amp (like would be necessary with many other $400 cans) and as long as my D2 keeps going I won't need to buy an additional DAC as the D2's is great, I walked out with them 10 minutes later.

***So I don't have a lot of comparison tests to offer. I really only A/B the Shure/AKG, I liked the Shure better of the 2, but neither was right for me. I then added a /C and quickly found out that closed cans are what I want.***

edit: considering the cans that Beagle has, it'd be nice to read some comparisons from him/her from the M4U 2 to the well regarded headphones in his/her collection. 
Here's a couple quotes from him/her in this thread regarding the M4U 2, but no comparisons to his/her collection of cans:
"Possibly the most balanced headphone I've yet heard. You can really hear this in the midrange and the space that exists in the bass range."
----------------
"Now having had them for over a month, I really love the sound of these. Balanced, exciting, midrange is right there, not drooping off into the background a la Denons. There is a sparkle and natural spaciousness to the sound without any hint of brightness.You can listen at a lower volume, then when you turn it up, the sound just gets more exciting without getting harsh or in your face. Bass is all there and it's even, not peaking in certain areas. All the frequencies hang together naturally."

Jun 28, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #35 of 733
Quote:
Thanks for posting that up! My hope is that it does sound close to as good as it does when NC is turned on. 

I auditioned with and without.  As long as you amp it in passive mode, it sounds as good, if not better, than amplified.  Related to the amplification, the PSB has a great feature that I believe is unique to them compared to others with built-in amplifiers.  The power switch has 3 options:  off, amplification and amplification with noise cancellation so that you can use a pure amp if you don't need the noise cancelling but want the added dB boost.

Jun 28, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #37 of 733
To my ears the M4U2 crushes the Ultrasone Ed8 which is impressive considering how much more the Ed8 cost. I had originally gotten the Ed8 to A/B against a pair of Beyerdynamic T5p and while it had an overall more balanced sound than the T5p (not hard to do since the T5p is hugely mid/high-centric), it occasionally had some seriously funky distortions (to my ears at least) in the highs that were not kind to my ears. Plus the mids were a bit too recessed than I like. So far I'm having none of those issues with the M4U2.

And I also agree that they're better than the Amperior. Although looking at the two physically I feel like it's almost not fair comparing a full-sized circumaural headphone to a portable supra-aural one.

Quote:
Has anyone compared the PSB M4U2 to an Ultrasone Edition 8 or Signature Pro? 

I listened to these briefly as well as the Signature Pro, but was not able to A/B them.  From what I recall, The PSB is the only headphone I ever heard in its price range that could potentially compete sonically with the Signature Pro.  I recall similar impressive detail in the mids and highs.  I believe the Sig Pro still gets the nod on the low end with more of a hard hitting, deeper bass and sub bass, but the PSB was very good.  I am curious to hear other impressions and plan to A/B my new Amperiors with the M4U2.  The Amperiors are really good, but from what I recall about the M4U2, they may win out.

Jun 29, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #38 of 733
Quote:
To my ears the M4U2 crushes the Ultrasone Ed8 which is impressive considering how much more the Ed8 cost. I had originally gotten the Ed8 to A/B against a pair of Beyerdynamic T5p and while it had an overall more balanced sound than the T5p (not hard to do since the T5p is hugely mid/high-centric), it occasionally had some seriously funky distortions (to my ears at least) in the highs that were not kind to my ears. Plus the mids were a bit too recessed than I like. So far I'm having none of those issues with the M4U2.

And I also agree that they're better than the Amperior. Although looking at the two physically I feel like it's almost not fair comparing a full-sized circumaural headphone to a portable supra-aural one.

That's great to hear since I was considering the Signature Pro which is fairly close in sound to the Edition 8.  I am going to wait for the V-Moda M-100.  If for some strange reason they don't work out, the M4U2 is next on the list.  PSB was initially supposed to offer an M4U1 which was an unamped version for $299, but for some reason this never materialized.  Considering the Ultrasones are 2-3X the cost of the M4U2, that is a strong endorsement.

Jun 29, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #39 of 733
Quote:
PSB was initially supposed to offer an M4U1 which was an unamped version for $299, but for some reason this never materialized. 

My audio dealer contacted Paul Barton and he told them that it's still in the works and will be shipping to dealers in the fall.

Jul 11, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #40 of 733
Quote:
That's great to hear since I was considering the Signature Pro which is fairly close in sound to the Edition 8.  I am going to wait for the V-Moda M-100.  If for some strange reason they don't work out, the M4U2 is next on the list.  PSB was initially supposed to offer an M4U1 which was an unamped version for $299, but for some reason this never materialized.  Considering the Ultrasones are 2-3X the cost of the M4U2, that is a strong endorsement.

I've not heard of PSB (to me I was thinking "Pet Shop Boys"!) until I met a Singapore distributor in the Tokyo Portable Show last Saturday. As I was flying back to Perth and stopping by S'pore on Monday, the distributor told me he'd be back in town too and I should pop by his office - and I did. I auditioned the PSB M4U2 and was surprised by its SQ. And another surprise, the distributor -gave- me the headphones!

So, when I'm finished with my travels, I'll take pictures and write a proper review of these headphones. I can compare it to my TH900 (when it's repaired :frowning2:) and with the SigPros in the shops. In addition I was an Ed8LE owner for 8-9 months.

Jul 11, 2012 at 8:33 AM Post #41 of 733
Quote:

I've not heard of PSB (to me I was thinking "Pet Shop Boys"!) until I met a Singapore distributor in the Tokyo Portable Show last Saturday. As I was flying back to Perth and stopping by S'pore on Monday, the distributor told me he'd be back in town too and I should pop by his office - and I did. I auditioned the PSB M4U2 and was surprised by its SQ. And another surprise, the distributor -gave- me the headphones!

So, when I'm finished with my travels, I'll take pictures and write a proper review of these headphones. I can compare it to my TH900 (when it's repaired :frowning2:) and with the SigPros in the shops. In addition I was an Ed8LE owner for 8-9 months.

I'm looking forward to your review! I really like these headphones, but being my first pair of quality ones I have nothing to compare them too. They have an issue with the headband cracking but apparently PSB are looking into it and hiopefully have a fix soon. Mine cracked after 2 weeks and I just received my replacement pair.

Jul 11, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #42 of 733
Quote:

That would be amazing, thank you.  Also, if you recall my active posts on the M-100, the holy grail of comparison for me right now would be the PSB M4U2 and M-100.  I'm glad to hear they were a pleasant surprise for you as well.

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #43 of 733
Quote:
That would be amazing, thank you.  Also, if you recall my active posts on the M-100, the holy grail of comparison for me right now would be the PSB M4U2 and M-100.  I'm glad to hear they were a pleasant surprise for you as well.

I was afraid you were gonna ask me that :wink:. Hehehe...ok I'll need to get the M-100s back in my hands to do a proper comparison - it's more than 2 weeks now and I fear anything I remember about the M-100 may be "in my mind".

Jul 11, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #44 of 733
Quote:

I was afraid you were gonna ask me that :wink:. Hehehe...ok I'll need to get the M-100s back in my hands to do a proper comparison - it's more than 2 weeks now and I fear anything I remember about the M-100 may be "in my mind".

Hopefully in a few weeks or so you won't be burdened with the exclusivity of auditioning these-  PPU...PPU....PPU!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back