PSB M4U 2
Apr 28, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #526 of 733
Popping is an issue combined of noisy source components + M4U's internal amping strenghtening the noise.

Apr 30, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #527 of 733
So, after having my set of M4U 2 for around a year, I just noticed a crack in the middle of the headband. Luckily, my local PSB dealer has another in stock so I can drop by the store this weekend and swap it out.

Also, I was able to test and confirm that the cable from the NAD Viso HP50 works correctly with the M4U 2 in amplified and NC mode. So, I should have one in about a week, unfortunately, it looks like shipping will be US$20 on a US$25 cable.

Jul 4, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #528 of 733
I'm starting to hate these headphones and this company because no replacement parts are available.

First I lose the battery compartment cover, that was over a year ago and I've never been able to locate a replacement.

Now I have accidentally wrapped the cord around a door handle and snapped the proprietary cable :frowning2:

You can't just plug in a 3.5mm cable to these so what now?

Jul 4, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #529 of 733
I'm starting to hate these headphones and this company because no replacement parts are available.

First I lose the battery compartment cover, that was over a year ago and I've never been able to locate a replacement.

Now I have accidentally wrapped the cord around a door handle and snapped the proprietary cable :frowning2:

If you see the post above, it looks like you can use the NAD cable.

I am suprised you can't get a new cable or parts from PSB. I have heard of others that have gotten parts relatively easily.

I have had no trouble with my headphones.

Jul 4, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #530 of 733
You can use any 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable on the headphones as long as one of the 3.5mm jack is a slim jack. I bought so many pairs of cables for my headphones and I recent bought some silver plated copper cables.

Jul 5, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #531 of 733
Thanks gav007 and jess70. I have ordered 2 cables for the nad Viso hp50 from eBay.

I tried contacting PSB about the battery compartment cover, but they just told me to contact a store here in Australia, and I did but they never got back to me.

I'm thinking about getting some full size bluetooth headphones anyway, which would replace the M4U2. I use Bose qc15 for flying.

Jul 6, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #532 of 733
Thanks gav007 and jess70. I have ordered 2 cables for the nad Viso hp50 from eBay.

I tried contacting PSB about the battery compartment cover, but they just told me to contact a store here in Australia, and I did but they never got back to me.

I'm thinking about getting some full size bluetooth headphones anyway, which would replace the M4U2. I use Bose qc15 for flying.

Here in Australia I was able to buy replacement cables from their authorised dealer (I can't remember their name but I can look it up - they're based in Melbourne).

I have a vague memory of emailing them and not receiving a response, but when I called them they were very easy to deal with, I ordered the cables and payed over the phone and received them after 2 days.

A few months ago the left ear-cup has suddenly died after 14 months of daily use. I love these headphones, and in a way they facilitated my entry into the "serious" headphones world as they demonstrate so perfectly what a headphones amp can do to the sound - plugged straight into my ipod, I would often go from amp mode (red) to amp off, just to see the sound difference. (I also have the Bose QC15 which I owned before the M4U2, but I don't think I used the Bose even once in the last year and a half, ever since getting the M4U2...)

And even though I got heaps of interesting headphones in the last 6 months, I don't think that there's any better portable headphone in my collection than the M4U2. My current portable of choice is the Mad Dog 3.2 + FiiO E12, but the M4U2 is badly missed.

I would love to fix it, I need to figure out where to send it to...

Jul 6, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #533 of 733
Here in Australia I was able to buy replacement cables from their authorised dealer (I can't remember their name but I can look it up - they're based in Melbourne).

I have a vague memory of emailing them and not receiving a response, but when I called them they were very easy to deal with, I ordered the cables and payed over the phone and received them after 2 days.

A few months ago the left ear-cup has suddenly died after 14 months of daily use. I love these headphones, and in a way they facilitated my entry into the "serious" headphones world as they demonstrate so perfectly what a headphones amp can do to the sound - plugged straight into my ipod, I would often go from amp mode (red) to amp off, just to see the sound difference. (I also have the Bose QC15 which I owned before the M4U2, but I don't think I used the Bose even once in the last year and a half, ever since getting the M4U2...)

And even though I got heaps of interesting headphones in the last 6 months, I don't think that there's any better portable headphone in my collection than the M4U2. My current portable of choice is the Mad Dog 3.2 + FiiO E12, but the M4U2 is badly missed.

I would love to fix it, I need to figure out where to send it to...

I used to use the M4U-2 with an iPhone 4s which definately sounded better with amp on. However with my Fiio X-5 the PSB's don't sound better with amp on, and actually don't sound as real with the amp on. I guess my point is, that if properly driven the PSB-1 would be as good as the 2 at a lower price.

Jul 11, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #534 of 733
I did end up ordering the NAD Viso HP50 cable from my local dealer -- even they thought the shipping cost was ridiculous, for a single cable. A few days before going to pick it up, I noticed that the headband of the M4U 2 had some cracks in it. I called up the dealer and mentioned it to them, and he said to just bring them in when I come in to get the cable, and they swap it out. And the dealer did just that. He took a brand new box off the shelf, opened it, pulled out the new one, swapped the batteries, and all was done. I had mine for just over a year at that point.

If Lenbrook ever decide to release a version of the Viso HP50 with the builtin amp and noise-cancelling circuitry, I may switch to them, just for the differences in construction.

Jul 11, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #535 of 733
I used to use the M4U-2 with an iPhone 4s which definately sounded better with amp on. However with my Fiio X-5 the PSB's don't sound better with amp on, and actually don't sound as real with the amp on. I guess my point is, that if properly driven the PSB-1 would be as good as the 2 at a lower price.

With my iPhone 5, I can't really tell a difference between passive and powered mode for most of the music I listen to, other than the increased volume in powered mode. This works fine for me, because that means, most of the time I can just listen to music without draining the batteries. I do end up using the noise-cancelling feature more than powered mode, as a result. But I'm very happy with the sound quality in passive mode.

Oct 19, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #536 of 733
Well, for me it seems the "durability" has been settled. These are definitely not a headphone I would recommend due to the very brittle plastic.

I've had a second pair crack, and now that they are out of warranty, I suspect I have nothing more than a cheap plastic frame that can no longer hold the great piece of audio engineering PSB came up with together and on my head in a usable fashion. I have sent a note to PSB, though I suspect they'll want me to send them money to repair them...I don't think I'll do that if it's the case.

They feel great and sound great, but for $400, they should last more than a year!!! Both pairs of my headphones have been babied, and still cracked...I'm damned sad.

Nov 1, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #537 of 733
Hi Forum. This is my first post after lurking for weeks. This forum has been such a great place to read and learn. A great tool. Thanks Head-fi.

I just purchased the PSB M4U2.

First impressions:

Stellar out of this world sound mixed with heavy weight and clamping force.

Listening to something like Dadub - Beyond The Veil or Dadub - Ilya
Really shows how good these sound. Much better imo than the Momentums and ATH-M50x.

I tried the Grado open back SR80i's. Great sound and didn't even feel like I was wearing anything.

I'm interested to see if the clamping force on these PSB' s will give out a bit with use and also whether not some burn in time could possibly make these sound even better.

I'd also like to purchase a set of open-back headphones like Sennheiser HD558 or HD598 or Grados to have that wonderful soundstage and extreme complete comfort.

Nov 2, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #538 of 733
Welcome to Head-Fi, Sorry about your wallet!

Indeed the M4U2 is better tha those mentioned closed back headphone.

As for Sennheiser or Grado. They are two COMPLETELY different thing. It fully depends on what you are looking for xD

Enjoy!
Billson :)

Nov 2, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #539 of 733
Thanks very much, man.

I guess I'm just looking for sound and comfort and portability and to use an open-design headphone for home use with devices like android phone and iPad.

For musical styles including any Jazz fusion or professional musician like Weckl, Wackerman, Lalle Larsson, Stanley Clarke, etc. As well as experimental music like Dadub and Kilimanjaro Darkjazz and also metal like Meshuggah and Mastodon and groups such as Primus and Neurosis. I guess that to think that there is any one headphone that would sound great with all of those kinds of recordings as well as underground hip-hop might be a bit too optimistic.

For me soundstage and separation and detail retrieval would be most important with a sound signature of any kind that worked well with the kinds of music mentioned above, or that just left the listener satisfied that they'd just witnessed a very competent or even fun (colored or otherwise) way to present any recording.

By the way, it was this very thread along with its many links provided to mentions of the PSB-M4U2/Paul Barton, ClintTheAudioGuy on YouTube, and Amazon reviews that lead me to selecting the M4U2 as my first audiophile-level headphone and it was a great choice. They sound absolutely unreal for a closed back headphone with detail and soundstage and an even perfect sound that amaze me.

Something that I didn't think would happen though is that I've discovered that for me comfort is almost as important as sound in choosing a headphone. While the M4U2 have the most comfortable ear pads I've ever tried on a closed-back headphone, the weight and clamping pressure never allow me to forget I'm wearing phones. The sound quality is worth it though, it's that good. Plus, I'm researching and trying common methods to help alleviate excessive clamping and noodling with ideas for weight reduction.

So I guess in an open back headphone I'd look for something just like the PSB-M4U2 sound only with wider soundstage and more comfortable weight and clamping, along the lines of Grado and Sennheiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back