PS4 with 3.5mm x2 Type Headset...
Mar 31, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #376 of 411
My kludge version for ps4.

Ps4- optical cable- dolby amp- headphones.
Put mic in my ear in the headphones.

428d8e40affe0aa405633c8a5f1cb328.jpg

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #377 of 411
  So basically the method of using the USB desktop mic is very annoying. I rather have the mic on the headphone.

I know people said the method of using the USB soundcard plugged into the front port of the DSS doesn't work or have I read incorrectly?

Can't the headphone be plugged into the front port of the Turtle Beach DSS headphone jack and USB soundcard plugged into the USB port on the DSS. The mic then plugged into the USB soundcard?

Like this:

Will this work. Will the PS4 recognise the mic and output the sound via the headphone? The USB desktop mic method works but i'm not sure with a 3.5mm mic converted to USB.

You could always just plug the USB soundcard into the other PS4 USB port if the DSS USB causes issues. Only issue I see is that particular soundcard might not fit in the PS4. You could use the ILuv USB Audio Adapter.

Apr 10, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #379 of 411
  You could always just plug the USB soundcard into the other PS4 USB port if the DSS USB causes issues. Only issue I see is that particular soundcard might not fit in the PS4. You could use the ILuv USB Audio Adapter.

Thanks for the reply.

I was looking at ordering the modmic 4.0 and use my AD700 headphones. I want to plug the modmic 4.0 into the PS4 controller and plug the headphone into the turtle beach DSS. I could just try the USB soundcard method as well instead of plugging the mic into the DS4.

Apr 18, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #383 of 411
Using the Astro Mixamp 2011 and the astro y-splitterfor my headset and clip-on mic (console settings are correct per the ps4/astro setup video). The chat volume I hear is very soft while everyone hears me just fine. Staying wired isn't a problem for me. What do I need in order to hear normal chat volume levels? Or, am I stuck having to upgrade to the latest mixamp version.

May 13, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #384 of 411
There is so much crap, bad information in this thread it is unbelievable.  No wonder so many people are just throwing their hands up in the air and buying Astro A50's.

Over the course of the last week I have experimented with each and every possible combination of the following:

Astro A40
Astro A50
MixAmp Pro + Sennheiser G4ME
MixAmp Pro + other PC headsets

The bottom line is this: the Astro's honestly just sound poor in comparison to the Sennheisers.  But the Astro's sound wayyyy better than the Sony Golds and any of the other off-the-shelf "gaming" headsets from Tritton and Turtle Beach and the like.  You do not need a Schiit Supreme or whatever the hell that thing is called. The MixAmp Pro is more than capable of driving my 600 ohm BeyerD DT880, it can drive your gaming headset of choice.

Here is the MixAmp Pro you want: http://www.amazon.com/ASTRO-Gaming-MixAmp-Pro-playstation-2/dp/B00NY5ZNZA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1431549586&sr=1-1&keywords=mixamp+pro
Here are the headphones I prefer: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-G4ME-BLACK-Gaming-Headset/dp/B00KK8ZLEC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1431549611&sr=1-1&keywords=sennheiser+g4me+one

1. If you don't care about talking to people and sounding like a robot:

MixAmp Pro + G4ME One's
PLUS you will need http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-headsets-separate-headphone-microphone/dp/B004SP0WAQ/ref=pd_sim_147_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0V08Q36ZKPHJJ66T1G0W
You will plug the headphones into the mixamp with this Y-splitter cable and you are good to go.

2. If you DO care about having your voice heard loud and clearly:

MixAmp Pro + G4ME One's
PLUS this same cable as above: http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-headsets-separate-headphone-microphone/dp/B004SP0WAQ/ref=pd_sim_147_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0V08Q36ZKPHJJ66T1G0W
AND you will need the Turtle Beach "Chat cable" to connect the controller to the MixAmp pro: http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-PlayStation-Headset-Compatibility-TBS-0276-01-4/dp/B00HS5FETM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1431549515&sr=1-1&keywords=turtle+beach+chat+cable

This video explains the chat issue with the MixAmp Pro and why you need that Turtle Beach cable for good voice quality: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd3CxBbrRS8

All this talk about amplifiers and old versions of the MixAmp that you can't get any longer are a huge waste of time. You don't need anything other than what I posted above. Sub in your own headphones if you have other preferences.

if you do NOT care about 5.1 audio I recommend just plugging in some iOs/Android chat-capable headphones like Momentums into the controller and call it a day. The sound quality is more than acceptable and mic quality is great.

FWIW - I am extremely hesitant to recommend Astro products as there is much evidence they are aware of all the problems with their MixAmp's but do nothing about it.  But as far as I know, there are no alternatives to what the MixAmp pro can do for the PS4. 

Jun 2, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #385 of 411
Using the Astro Mixamp 2011 and the astro y-splitterfor my headset and clip-on mic (console settings are correct per the ps4/astro setup video). The chat volume I hear is very soft while everyone hears me just fine. Staying wired isn't a problem for me. What do I need in order to hear normal chat volume levels? Or, am I stuck having to upgrade to the latest mixamp version.
I have exactly the same issue. It's possible to output all through optical to by selecting TV receiver in the audio devices menu. However, you'll lose the blend functionality on the mixamp.

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #386 of 411
Here is a solution that works for my on my MixAmp 5.8 without the USB chat cable.   I didn't read every post in this thread, so if this was already offered, my apologies.

I will preface this with saying that I am not an audio guy by any means.  I don't know how this worked, but it did, and I'm happy about it.  I too was incredibly frustrated with the lack of support for the initial 5.8 Mix Amp model (without the mini USB on the TX unit) and the struggles with getting them to play well with the PS4. 

Over the years, I've gathered quite a collection of random audio cables, and I spent most of yesterday trying to get my PS4 to recognize the mic function of the A40 headset through the Mix Amp 5.8.  I tried everything.  Interestingly enough, the only thing that worked was a solution with a couple of Astro cables.  The two PC Y splitter cables, the ones with purple and green ends. I have two of them - one with male split cables and one with female split cables. These -http://www.astrogaming.com/adapters-splitters - these don't look exactly the same as mine, but hopefully they work the same.

I connected the standard Astro headset cable into the single (female) end of the male split cable.  I then connected the green male end of that cable into the headset port of the 5.8 RX unit.  Then, I connected the purple male end of that cable into the purple female end of the second splitter cable, and finally the male single end of the second cable into the mic connection of the PS4 controller.  The green female end of the second cable just dangles.

As for the PS4 settings, in Devices - Audio Devices

Input Device should be "headset connected to controller".

Output Device should be "TV or Amplifier" (this is important as you won't be able to hear the other folks you are chatting with if you have it set to  "headset connected to controller")

If it works, Input Device and Adjust Microphone Level should be selectable.

I have noticed that I have to play with the connection into the PS4 controller sometimes if the microphone disconnects - like it's not really meant to work that way, but if I adjust the cable connection enough it'll come back.  I've only had to do that once - the PS4 just stopped recognizing the mic, so I went back into Devices - Audio Devices and adjusted the cable a bit until it came back.

The downside of this is that the MixAmp RX unit is basically married to the PS4 controller as the Y splitter cables are not long.  I have verified that a simple 3.5mm extension cable seems to work to extend the split side of the splitter cables.

I won't go into how I got my original A40 Mix AMP to work with the PS4...  It's possible but not pretty.  I ordered a couple more of these Y splitter cables from Astro to see if I can do the same thing with the original old school Mix Amp.  Will update it if works.

Hope this helps somebody, it cost me about 12 hours of experimentation. 

Dec 6, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #388 of 411
I wanted to buy a dolby decoder for my headphones. So after all this years there's still only the astro mixamp and the turtle dss2 available?

Pretty much bud! Or the more expensive creative x7 or some AVRs. I have actually pushed the idea to many companies because I'm sure a better/more adaptable solution can be found for the mixamp price.

I have the x7. Still looking for a good way of handoing chat.

I need a good, relatively cheap(I.E. Not paying for pc features I won't use) usb headphone adapter to plug mic into and route the out to the X7. Looking on amazon lots of cheap ones and many have fried headphones. I'm not plugging anything which could fry the X7 in lol.

Anybody know any good ones?
EDIT; correcting the autocorrect :p

Dec 6, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #389 of 411
Scan craigslist for a cheap AVR that has Dolby Headphone. Harman Kardon and Marantz usually has it.

Thats what I did, picked up a used HK AVR240 for $60. Has a lot better sq than the DSS

Dec 6, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #390 of 411
Scan craigslist for a cheap AVR that has Dolby Headphone. Harman Kardon and Marantz usually has it.

Thats what I did, picked up a used HK AVR240 for $60. Has a lot better sq than the DSS

Nice, cheaper than a mixamp can't complain. Had a dss2 for my ps3 and was a pretty good solution, way better than my Tritton's, but seems it's way more faff with ps4. I checked out some of your other posts, see your sticking with the A50 is that with the mixamp or your reciever, how did you handle your chat with the reciever? Don't want to hijack the thread so point me in the right direction if you know a thread. Didn't have much luckily MadLust's thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back