PS4 with 3.5mm x2 Type Headset...
Nov 17, 2013 at 12:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 411

rc10mike

100+ Head-Fier
What is the proper way to hook up a typical dual 3.5mm headset to a PS4 and be able to chat and hear game sounds at the same time?

My previous PS3 setup was perfect. I have a PC360 headset, and a Marantz HT receiver with Dolby Headphone built in. I used the Marantz headphone jack for game audio, and then used a 3.5-usb adapter to the PS3 for chat. It worked great.

Now the PS4, I cant seem to get anything working correctly. I can still get full surround when I plug into the Marantz receiver, but I cant seem to get chat to work. When I plug the PC360s mic cord into the USB adapter, then into the PS4, I can see that the mic works, but I cant hear anyone. Probably because the PS4 is now capable of pushing game audio through the USB.

For me this doesn't work. I want the PS4 to output chat to my headphones, which are receiving game sound via HDMI, NOT Usb. This was how the PS3 worked just fine.

If anyone has any advice please let me know!

Thank you.

Nov 17, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #2 of 411
For now, I hook up the mic to the PS4 controller, and my headphones to my Mixamp (via the PS4's optical out). I can speak, but I can't hear myself.

I haven't tested it enough however.

Nov 17, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 411
I played around with it more today...

With the PS4, you cannot have incoming chat through HDMI/Optical while at the same time having outgoing chat through USB.

You now have two options, in/out chat goes through USB, or in/out chat goes through USB along with game audio. Sure, I can simply connect both 3.5mm jacks to the USB convertor and it would work via USB, but I would lose Dolby Headphone surround I get from plugging into my AV receiver. I cant play in stereo...not gonna happen.

Kind of sad the PS3 had the capability but they completely got rid of it on PS4 even with 1.50 update.

I havent messed with the controller plug-in. I probably never will. I dont mind having a wired headset for the best SQ, but I wouldnt want a cord connecting to my controller.

Nov 18, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #4 of 411
So, what do you mean?

Can you use a Mixamp/receiver for optical out audio, and use a USB chat device for the microphone hooked up directly to the PS4's USB port?

I ask because I don't have any USB audio adapters around.

Hmm... wonder if the U3 can, even as a simple chat device... time to test.

The controller plug in is useful if your external mic doesn't have a long cable that won't reach the PS4. My dealextreme clip on mic's cable doesn't reach, so it makes sense to use the PS4's port.

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #5 of 411
Nov 18, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #6 of 411
Well, I assume it will, as I have my Mixamp running through the PS4's optical out, and the USB plugged in, and I can use the mix from there, and not have to use the controller's audio jack.

Let me test the U3...

Nov 18, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #7 of 411
OK here is a solution I found for people with similar equipment. Im using a HT AVR to get my surround, but Im almost sure it would hook up the same way with a DSS.

The y-adapter is needed to sort of "intercept" the incomming chat and play it through your headphones. Without it, you will only be able to talk, and you wont hear anyone.

Plugging they y-adapter in line like this decreased my volume, but that was easily fixed.

Im not sure about the Mixamp since Ive never used it.

Nov 18, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #8 of 411
Wanna let you guys know, the Xonar U3 works on the PS4. O_O

Not sure on Dolby Headphone, but the chat and game audio will work. not that it's that great a thing, as the PS4's controller does the same thing.

Nov 18, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #9 of 411
Wanna let you guys know, the Xonar U3 works on the PS4. O_O

Not sure on Dolby Headphone, but the chat and game audio will work. not that it's that great a thing, as the PS4's controller does the same thing.

Ive always wondered about these usb soundcards such as the Xonar U3. Since they need drivers to run on a PC, I wonder if you are able to use any of the sound features on then when used on the PS4.

My best guess is that without drivers and software to run it, its probably just acting as a regular usb headset adapter....but again just a guess.

If Dolby Headphone was active, I would probably buy one right away, after I figure out exactly what kind of audio the PS4 is outputting through its USB ports..

Nov 21, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #10 of 411
Can anyone confirm that these USB soundcards actually work properly ie: Surround Sound with the PS4??

I may try the Sennheiser soundcard that comes with the PC363D if they do in fact work with out drivers/software/etc.

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #11 of 411
I also had the same problem. I wanted to use my SteelSeries Siberia V2's with my ps4.  I have a usb sound card that came with the headset.  Although the PS4's day 1 firmware update made it compatible with usb headsets, my mic was terribly low.  None of my friends could hear me over the sound effects in-game.  I went through every setting and found there is no way to change the mic volume.  I think it had to do with the built in noise cancellation feature in the soundcard.  I noticed when I plugged the mic directly into the controller that it was much louder but also had some feedback that was not present when used with the usb soundcard.  Luckily I found a solution.  

SteelSeries makes a "mobile device adapter." The adapter plugs into the headset jack on the dual shock 4. You can find it on amazon. There are only 3 left in stock.  I received mine in the mail today and sadly its defective.  There's a bad connection where the wire meets the 3.5mm plug which makes the sound only come out of one ear.  If I pinch the cord a certain way both ears work correctly.  I currently have it ghetto rigged with dental floss so that I can use my headset with the PS4 while I wait for my replacement to arrive.  Once the new one arrives I'll be able to return this faulty one.  Hopefully the next one works. 

Link to mobile adapter : http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-5006-Steelseries-mobile-adapter/dp/B002ZNJH36/ref=sr_1_1?s=miscellaneous&ie=UTF8&qid=1385088908&sr=1-1&keywords=steelseries+mobile+device+adapter  

Adapting to the faulty adapter : 

BTW I tried to find an alternative before ordering this product for a second time.  I went to fry's and found the only adapter they had in the components section.  It cost me $7.  Although it worked, the mic was even lower than with my usb soundcard.  Ironically the brand is named Great Quality.  

Here's a pic of the low quality adapter :

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #12 of 411
  I also had the same problem. I wanted to use my SteelSeries Siberia V2's with my ps4.  I have a usb sound card that came with the headset.  Although the PS4's day 1 firmware update made it compatible with usb headsets, my mic was terribly low.  I went through every setting and found there is no way to change the mic volume.  I think it had to do with the built in noise cancellation feature in the soundcard.  I noticed when I plugged the mic directly into the controller that it was much louder but also had some feedback that was not present when used with the usb soundcard.  Luckily I found a solution.  

SteelSeries makes a "mobile device adapter." The adapter plugs into the headset jack on the dual shock 4. You can find it on amazon. There are only 3 left in stock.  I received mine in the mail today and sadly its defective.  There's a bad connection where the wire meets the 3.5mm plug which makes the sound only come out of one ear.  If I pinch the cord a certain way both ears work correctly.  I currently have it ghetto rigged with dental floss so that I can use my headset with the PS4 while I wait for my replacement to arrive.  Once the new one arrives I'll be able to return this faulty one.  Hopefully the next one works. 

Link to mobile adapter : http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-5006-Steelseries-mobile-adapter/dp/B002ZNJH36/ref=sr_1_1?s=miscellaneous&ie=UTF8&qid=1385088908&sr=1-1&keywords=steelseries+mobile+device+adapter  

Adapting to the faulty adapter : 

Seems like a good idea, but the biggest issue I have with plugging into the controller is that I will lose Dolby Headphone processing, which I simply cannot play with out. It makes a huge difference in FPS games.

This is the current issue with PS4: Whenever you have a USB device connected, It will detect it and only let you chat through both in and out via USB. You cant change where the chat goes like you could with the PS3. In my case, I need incoming chat to go through HDMI so I can hear it in my headphones which are connected to my AVR.

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #13 of 411

Seems like a good idea, but the biggest issue I have with plugging into the controller is that I will lose Dolby Headphone processing, which I simply cannot play with out. It makes a huge difference in FPS games.

This is the current issue with PS4: Whenever you have a USB device connected, It will detect it and only let you chat through both in and out via USB. You cant change where the chat goes like you could with the PS3. In my case, I need incoming chat to go through HDMI so I can hear it in my headphones which are connected to my AVR.

Yeah I also had the same setup on my ps3.  I would connect the mic to the usb soundcard and plug it into the ps3.  Then I would plug the headphones into my stereo that was used for my tv audio.

Nov 24, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #14 of 411
OK here is a solution I found for people with similar equipment. Im using a HT AVR to get my surround, but Im almost sure it would hook up the same way with a DSS.

The y-adapter is needed to sort of "intercept" the incomming chat and play it through your headphones. Without it, you will only be able to talk, and you wont hear anyone.

Plugging they y-adapter in line like this decreased my volume, but that was easily fixed.

Im not sure about the Mixamp since Ive never used it.

I am in the same situation and want to use my AVR and a seperate Mic. Does the set-up above work 100%? How does the y-adapter "intercept" the chat output? Isn't it only a y output splitter?

TIA

Nov 24, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #15 of 411
I am in the same situation and want to use my AVR and a seperate Mic. Does the set-up above work 100%? How does the y-adapter "intercept" the chat output? Isn't it only a y output splitter?

TIA

It works fine for me. I had my doubts at first about the y adapter working properly but it does. Other than the decrease in volume to my headphones I experienced there are no other issues. I just had to turn my AVR up a little more when I game. I can now hear the incoming chat through my PC360 as well as having Dolby Headphone.

Hopefully Sony will patch in the ability to control where chat is sent. For now we are stuck with chat being received and sent via USB, which obviously wont work for people using dedicated USB mics.

I did some research on the y adapter and found that a simple 2ch audio mixer is the best way to combine 2 separate audio sources into 1 output. Im going to try it and see how it goes. It will allow me to adjust game volume and chat volume independently, sort of like a Astro Mixamp. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/597819-REG/Rolls_MX22S_MX22s_Mini_Mix.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back