PS1000 Impressions Thread
Sep 26, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #406 of 3,605
Hey all, I have finally landed my pair of PS1000s yesterday.  WOOHOO!  I am a total noob to this stuff, but I wanted to share my thoughts anyway.

The good (so far)
It's only been two days, but I wasn't quite ready for the musicality and detail that these things produce.  Holy cow.  On tracks like Jeff Buckley's "Lover, You Should've Come Over" or "Lilac Wine", the space and detail is just unreal.  I could hear him take a breathe before notes, the licking of his lips, the subtle change from hi-hat to shaker.  The instruments felt 3D.  I felt like I was there.  Same thing happened with Coldplay and Radiohead.  I was in mellow rock heaven!

I have pretty eclectic taste in so then I switched to various EDM artists I like.  I was really surprised!  Bassnectar's "Ping Pong" was a total blast; Beltek's "Party Voice" kicked surprisingly good. Kaskade's "Lick It" was just so roomy and warm; The drop in Skrillex's "Scatta" brought an instant smile to my face.  Deadmau5's "damn" was broad and colorful.  Sure, I've heard bassier headphones before, which lend themselves well to EDM, but the sound spectrum on these are just awesome.

I then went back to my rock/metal roots to see how these sounded with some choppy, distorted guitars and cookie monster vocals.  I was again blown away.  The "metal mids" were there much more than I expected and there was good separation of drums/bass.  Slipknot's "The Blister Exists" (and really the entire Vol 3 album) had extremely full sound with instrument separation.  The guitars sound "wet" which is great for metal. Up next was Korn and given the complete crap they put out now, I limited this to "Korn" and "Issues" albums.  A different, less bright mix, but it still sounded so full and hearty.  Even less gutural rock like Incubus's "Morning View", Jane's Addiction's "Ritual", Soundgarden's "Down On The Upside", even older stuff like Primus's "Frizzle Fry" - they all sounded fantastic.

The emotion of these tracks, regardless of genre, just exploded.  My mind was blown.  I guess I would sum it up this way: if you have a song or album that means something to you because of your youth, your spouse, your children, a tragedy, if you feel those songs, you will feel them even more with these headphones. It's somehow palpable.

Needless to say, in addition to being like a kid at Christmas listening to albums I haven't cracked open in years, I also haven't gotten much work done the last couple days. 
wink.gif

The bad (so far)
The headband - I thought people were exaggerating on this issue....they weren't.  They are a real miscarriage of justice.  I will work on some aftermarket solution; it's just hard to believe that someone can sell such high end headphones with such a lame headband.  As I write this, it feels like a metal bar with thin leather cover has been burrowing into my head.  Oh wait, that's because one has been burrowing into my head.

The cable - I hated untwisting and untangling the garden hose when I was a kid, and I hate untwisting and untangling headphone cables.

Some advice
I've been needing to upgrade my DAC for awhile and finally decided to pull the trigger on the Audio-gd NFB1.32, which promises to deliver a superior sound to my amp. BUT, I don't know what amp pairs well with these headphones.  I know they are easy to drive, but I know the value a cleanly powered, low distortion signal.  I've been eyeing the Yulong A18, Burson HA-160, Burson Soloist, etc.  Any recommendations?

Thanks for your time!

Sep 26, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #407 of 3,605
Martin Custom Audio and Headphone Lounge can help with the headband.

Nice review!

For the amp, here's a company to keep in mind: http://hollowstate.netfirms.com/

Sep 27, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #408 of 3,605
Quote:

Congratulations! Glad to hear you enjoy them.

Quote:
Martin Custom Audio and Headphone Lounge can help with the headband.

I've recently bought one of these, although beautiful, still too hard for me.
Only thing that helped so far is my own crap-looking mod:

http://cdn.head-fi.org/7/7b/900x900px-LL-7beb04af_IMAG0677-1.jpeg

It's a wool pillow sewed on to the original headband.

Still MCA is better than original.

Cheers!

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #409 of 3,605
I really do not find the headband to be an issue at all. Actually I find these to be quite comfortable when they are probably adjusted. Everyone is different however and there are probably a number of factors that determine comfort.

Sep 28, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #412 of 3,605
I stick these under the headbands :
http://www.moon-audio.com/diy-audio-parts/accessories/beyerdynamic-leather-black-headband.html
Works very well for PS1000s, HE-6 & LCD-3s.

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #413 of 3,605
I use one of these with my SR325is headphones and it's great.

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #414 of 3,605
Sep 28, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #415 of 3,605
I'm also a big fan of that great J Buckley album. Hallelujah is a favourite of mine.

I use a Sennheiser foam headband for the HD600 / HD580 stuck on the underside of my PS1000 headband for extra comfort and it works great. Used the Beyer one too but it doesn't fully fit though will certainly do the job!

The twisting cable on the Grado stock is very frustrating and eventually my old SR125's developed a fault in the Y splitter. No longer an issue on my PS as I'm using the Senn HD800 sockets and can detach my headphone cable at will :)

Still putting together my thoughts on the cables I have used on the PS1000 so far, right now in (reverse) order of preference its Stock < Moon Audio Black Dragon < Prototype Deco audio silver in cotton headphone cable < Stefan audio art Endorphin. The last two being the best I have ever heard the PS1000 sound. Sweet!

Sep 28, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #416 of 3,605
Nice review tacky.  I concur with the comfort issue, although as mentioned there do seem to be ways to combat it.  It's like listening to old albums again for the first time using these headphones.

Sep 28, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #417 of 3,605
There is an easy way to untwist the cable that involves during the whole headphone ear pieces until it is straightened out. The twisting appears to be the result of the ear pieces being turned 360 degrees at some point.

Sep 28, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #418 of 3,605
Quote:
Do you have a lot of hair?
I do not.
Pads are very comfy though...

I do have my hair. From your photo, looks like you have plenty. lol

Sep 28, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #419 of 3,605
Quote:
I'm also a big fan of that great J Buckley album. Hallelujah is a favourite of mine.

+1...one of my favorite albums ever. Best performance of Hallelujah I've ever heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back