PS1000 Impressions Thread
Jul 18, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #3,602 of 3,605
Oh really...even from Grado?
I'm based in the UK. None on ebay or amazon. Low stock everywhere. Expect you can still get in the USA.

Nov 19, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #3,603 of 3,605
Been chasing old flagships and recently acquired a "hotrodded" PS1000 with shipido blocks and headband, and detachable cable to 4.4 balanced connector. The cable is very well-made and portable.

My first impression: unpleasantly V-shaped, with sizzling hot treble and recessed mids. I heard all the criticisms that Dubstepgirl levied years back. However, they had a drive and musicality to them that made me want to keep listening.

Upon getting to know them, I realize they are very finicky. Ear positioning alters the sound. They require more power than expected. System synergy is key, they can sound raspy, bleached in wrong setup. Mine was used so already burned-in, but brain burn-in seems to have big effect, they are sounding better and better more I listen to them, and now can't get them off my head.

The amp synergies were all over place, my fave is weirdly the high impedance output of WA5, and second is WM1A. They are also very DAC sensitive, such that I can hear tonal differences across DACs. I can switch from the musical lushness of my WM1A to a more reference sound with one of my desktop amps. I've found the best pairing with warm and smooth setups.

Still, the sizzling treble remained despite system synergy. So I tried physical dampening, and found it tamed the treble. My best combination was placing a stocking wrapped, shelf-liner in front of the drivers. Brought midrange forward, and sound is overall smoother. Hot treble is still there on some tracks but now reflect more the recording than adding coloration.

What I'm left with is blowing my mind. I get it now, the love for Grados. Dead Can Dance Into the Labyrinth is a religious experience. And the organs on Nobuo Uetmatsu's Dancing Mad is breathtaking. These PS1000's really suck you into music.

Positive standouts: Upbeat energy and drive that makes music lively and fun! Maybe my new favorite fun headphone, dethroning the TH900's. Felt tactility. Immersive and holographic soundstage. Feels on stage with musicians.

On the fence:
Treble is grainy off wrong setup. Not the most detailed or transparent compared to modern flagships, but presents the gestalt of music better. There is crunchiness to sound. Sub-bass roll-off but don't feel like I'm missing anything with my music preference. Can sound aggressive on some tracks. Brutal with poor recordings.

Attachments

• 20221119_083233.jpg
    20221119_083233.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Nov 19, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #3,604 of 3,605
Been chasing old flagships and recently acquired a "hotrodded" PS1000 with shipido blocks and headband, and detachable cable to 4.4 balanced connector. The cable is very well-made and portable.

My first impression: unpleasantly V-shaped, with sizzling hot treble and recessed mids. I heard all the criticisms that Dubstepgirl levied years back. However, they had a drive and musicality to them that made me want to keep listening.

Upon getting to know them, I realize they are very finicky. Ear positioning alters the sound. They require more power than expected. System synergy is key, they can sound raspy, bleached in wrong setup. Mine was used so already burned-in, but brain burn-in seems to have big effect, they are sounding better and better more I listen to them, and now can't get them off my head.

The amp synergies were all over place, my fave is weirdly the high impedance output of WA5, and second is WM1A. They are also very DAC sensitive, such that I can hear tonal differences across DACs. I can switch from the musical lushness of my WM1A to a more reference sound with one of my desktop amps. I've found the best pairing with warm and smooth setups.

Still, the sizzling treble remained despite system synergy. So I tried physical dampening, and found it tamed the treble. My best combination was placing a stocking wrapped, shelf-liner in front of the drivers. Brought midrange forward, and sound is overall smoother. Hot treble is still there on some tracks but now reflect more the recording than adding coloration.

What I'm left with is blowing my mind. I get it now, the love for Grados. Dead Can Dance Into the Labyrinth is a religious experience. And the organs on Nobuo Uetmatsu's Dancing Mad is breathtaking. These PS1000's really suck you into music.

Positive standouts: Upbeat energy and drive that makes music lively and fun! Maybe my new favorite fun headphone, dethroning the TH900's. Felt tactility. Immersive and holographic soundstage. Feels on stage with musicians.

On the fence:
Treble is grainy off wrong setup. Not the most detailed or transparent compared to modern flagships, but presents the gestalt of music better. There is crunchiness to sound. Sub-bass roll-off but don't feel like I'm missing anything with my music preference. Can sound aggressive on some tracks. Brutal with poor recordings.
Niceness. I loved the PS1k though they were heavy and I sold them. BUT…love the grado sound so RS1e and GS3k I went back to after missing that jazzzzzz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back