PS1000 Impressions Thread
Mar 12, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #1,579 of 3,605
  Good call!
gs1000.gif

It's photos like this that really make me regret selling my Ear+HD a few years back. 
frown.gif

Mar 12, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #1,580 of 3,605
  As someone who thought that the MS1000 and GS1000 were "meh", would the PS1000 be worth a shot?

I second the comment that the PS1000's are different than any Grado I've heard ... main HUGE difference is I can listen to anything, classica/rock/jazz/indie/punk/whatever and I can *crank* them and never get the shrill/piercing highs that the GS1000's, for instance, would give. I had the GS1000's for about four years and they were my main cans. I found that I really enjoyed them but I had to listen at fairly low levels.

The PS1000's share the same deep bass as the GS1000's (perhaps a bit more of it), just as much detail and resolution in the highs but no shrillness and no pain when turning things up loud. I really really like them.

You should try and hear a pair as demo first, as they are indeed spendy.

I'm already pretty sure I'm going to get a pair of PS1000e's too as the bass on the PS1000's can be just a bit too forward at times and with tracks that have always seemed bass heavy to me (certain tracks from a great indie/fusion/jazz band called The Mercury Program come to mind here) ... and from what I've read, the "e" version presents a bit more neutral/reference bass image while going just as deep.

But they are keepers for sure ... I was listening to a certain Mozart piano piece a little earlier and very occasionally I would hear this trailing "bzzzt" sound at certain middle/high frequency key hits ... very rare but also undoubtedly there. I immediately became paranoid, thinking something was wrong with the PS1000 driver and so grabbed my only pair of other cans (at the moment) a pair of Koss Porta Pros and listened to the same track ... I really couldn't make out the same "bzzt" sound at those few certain notes and so then got really paranoid and grabbed my roommates LCD-3's and Beyer T1's ... and (thank god!) ... I could hear the "bzzt" sound at those same places ... it wasn't as pronounced as the PS1000's but it was certainly there and so I knew it was a recording anomaly ... something a listener would never hear unless listening via some remarkably resolving headphones ... so testament to the PS1000's resolution for sure. For what it's worth, the T1's sounded veiled compared to the PS1000's and the LCD-3's sound completely flat and almost dark ... both very detailed and stellar cans but I much prefer the PS1000's (with the T1's coming second and the LCD-3's coming third).

Killer headphones man...

Mar 12, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #1,581 of 3,605
  It wasn't as pronounced as the PS1000's but it was certainly there and so I knew it was a recording anomaly ... something a listener would never hear unless listening via some remarkably resolving headphones ... so testament to the PS1000's resolution for sure. For what it's worth, the T1's sounded veiled compared to the PS1000's and the LCD-3's sound completely flat and almost dark ... both very detailed and stellar cans but I much prefer the PS1000's (with the T1's coming second and the LCD-3's coming third).

Killer headphones man...

As I was reading your post, I was going to say what you mentioned above about the PS1K being so resolving, which is why you heard what you heard in the recording…this has also happened with me. I also preferred the PS1K over the T1/LCD-X/HD-800…killer HP's for sure! 

Mar 12, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #1,582 of 3,605

But they are keepers for sure ... I was listening to a certain Mozart piano piece a little earlier and very occasionally I would hear this trailing "bzzzt" sound at certain middle/high frequency key hits ... very rare but also undoubtedly there. I immediately became paranoid, thinking something was wrong with the PS1000 driver and so grabbed my only pair of other cans (at the moment) a pair of Koss Porta Pros and listened to the same track ... I really couldn't make out the same "bzzt" sound at those few certain notes and so then got really paranoid and grabbed my roommates LCD-3's and Beyer T1's ... and (thank god!) ... I could hear the "bzzt" sound at those same places ... it wasn't as pronounced as the PS1000's but it was certainly there and so I knew it was a recording anomaly ... something a listener would never hear unless listening via some remarkably resolving headphones ... so testament to the PS1000's resolution for sure. For what it's worth, the T1's sounded veiled compared to the PS1000's and the LCD-3's sound completely flat and almost dark ... both very detailed and stellar cans but I much prefer the PS1000's (with the T1's coming second and the LCD-3's coming third).

Killer headphones man...

I hear a bass buzz on the PS1000s at one place on one recording that I do not hear on either my Sennheiser HD 800s or my Grado RS1is... it is the first organ chord on the final (4th) movement of the Saint-Saens Symphony No.3 ("Organ Symphony"), as played by Charles Munch and the Boston Symphony Orchestra on a "Living Stereo" recording.  It sounded like amplitude saturation / clipping, but only on the low bass note.  I looked at the final waveform... not saturated (though it could have been upstream somewhere).  I listened through a different amp (still there, but still only for the PS1000s).   I only noticed it with the PS1000s because I was doing some rather careful comparative listening tests with the HD 800 and RS1i.  I don't think I would have noticed it if I were not side-by-side comparing.  I since have gotten the Grado GS1000es and should try with those to see if it shows up.

Not sure if it is an indication of greater detail heard only by the PS1000 or if it is some funny resonance in the headphone!

Mar 13, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #1,583 of 3,605
  I hear a bass buzz on the PS1000s at one place on one recording that I do not hear on either my Sennheiser HD 800s or my Grado RS1is... it is the first organ chord on the final (4th) movement of the Saint-Saens Symphony No.3 ("Organ Symphony"), as played by Charles Munch and the Boston Symphony Orchestra on a "Living Stereo" recording.  It sounded like amplitude saturation / clipping, but only on the low bass note.  I looked at the final waveform... not saturated (though it could have been upstream somewhere).  I listened through a different amp (still there, but still only for the PS1000s).   I only noticed it with the PS1000s because I was doing some rather careful comparative listening tests with the HD 800 and RS1i.  I don't think I would have noticed it if I were not side-by-side comparing.  I since have gotten the Grado GS1000es and should try with those to see if it shows up.

Not sure if it is an indication of greater detail heard only by the PS1000 or if it is some funny resonance in the headphone!

I would expect you could hear the same thing on either the HD800 or the RS1i ...both of which are very resolving headphones ...

BTW: post some detailed thoughts on PS1000 vs PS1000e as I'm thinking of getting the "e" version as well ... 

Mar 13, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #1,584 of 3,605

I would expect you could hear the same thing on either the HD800 or the RS1i ...both of which are very resolving headphones ...

BTW: post some detailed thoughts on PS1000 vs PS1000e as I'm thinking of getting the "e" version as well ... 

It is the PS1000 and the GS1000e that I have, not the PS1000e.  But I will post some detailed thoughts in a bit after the GS1000e and I get used to each other!

Mar 13, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #1,585 of 3,605
I'm getting used since yesterday, of listening again my PS1000, just received my woo audio 6SE. I'm under using it, since i don't have a dac and using my xonar U7, but still, that amp make the PS1000 shines so far!
Can't wait to get the max potentiel of the PS1000 with a good dac now (still wondering which though)

Mar 13, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #1,586 of 3,605
So broke down and got a pair of PS1000e's to compare to the regular PS1000's ... I really dig the regular ps1ks but think I might slightly more enjoy the supposed "more controlled bass" of the newer "e" version...

I'll end up selling one pair for sure so there will be a decent deal in the for sale section soon for one or the other...

Talk about wallet pain ...lol ...

Mar 13, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #1,587 of 3,605
So broke down and got a pair of PS1000e's to compare to the regular PS1000's ... I really dig the regular ps1ks but think I might slightly more enjoy the supposed "more controlled bass" of the newer "e" version...

I'll end up selling one pair for sure so there will be a decent deal in the for sale section soon for one or the other...

Talk about wallet pain ...lol ...

Folks seem to run 50-50 in preference of the PS1000e vs. PS1000.  Be interested to see if your preference sticks!

Mar 13, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #1,588 of 3,605

Folks seem to run 50-50 in preference of the PS1000e vs. PS1000.  Be interested to see if your preference sticks!

I'm real curious to hear the PS1000e's ...

Generally, I'm a person who has enjoyed a slight up tick in both highs and lows, but only just so ... I've found that certain tracks which are, admittedly, mixed high/hot in the bass frequency area tend to come across a little unbalanced with the PS1000's ... with the bass sort of dominating the other frequencies ... and I don't mean this as an unpleasant trait as I think a lot of folks enjoy this ...

Check this track from The Mercury Program out; I've had this record for over a decade and have always thought they mixed the bass just a smidgen to forward/heavy ... no matter what headphones or speakers I use ... and with the PS1K's the bass sounds really nice but it's even more forward than the natural engineering of the track (which as a producer of music, I think is just mixed to hot) ... not a deal killer with the PS1K's by any means but if the PS1ke's dial it back just a notch? Then I think I'll prefer them ..

But I'm also a long time fan of Grado's and personally I'd call them anything else before I'd call them "balanced" sounding, *any* of them ... :wink: ... I've always been a fan just cause they are insanely fun (perhaps the most fun) ...

I've also got a decent mid level Stax rig coming in early next week ... some 007 Mkii headphones and one of the original SRM-007T tube amps (that most folk prefer over the newer 007Tii amplifier) ... and so it's going to be a massive headphone deathmatch throw down over the next few weeks ... all I've heard are Lambdas so I'm real curious to see how the sr-007 mkii's sound ... 

Fun stuff ...

Mar 14, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #1,589 of 3,605
Has anyone had bubbling issues with the chrome on the PS1000 cups? I have a bubble spot on mine and it is very annoying to look at

Users who are viewing this thread

Back