PS1000 Impressions Thread
Feb 27, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #1,487 of 3,605
Feb 27, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #1,488 of 3,605
  There will come a time when you will forget where you left your RS1i phones.

I still enjoy the RS/WA6 sound very much…I think I'm reaching for the PS/GS-1 because the sound from the GS-1 is just awesome and still fresh for me. 
smile.gif

Feb 27, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #1,489 of 3,605
I am curious about the PS1000e as a flagship companion to my HD800. Before laying out the big investment I was wondering whether one of the lesser Grados could give me an idea whether I would like the PS1000. Sonically, what in the Grado line qualifies as a representative little brother to the PS1000?

Feb 27, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #1,490 of 3,605
I am curious about the PS1000e as a flagship companion to my HD800. Before laying out the big investment I was wondering whether one of the lesser Grados could give me an idea whether I would like the PS1000. Sonically, what in the Grado line qualifies as a representative little brother to the PS1000?

I have read that the HF-2 is supposed to sound like the little brother of the PS1K, but I've never heard them for myself, so I'm just passing along what I read. I also never heard the PS-500/e, but they are all made from the same materials…their hybrids made with Mahogany driver housings/Aluminum cups, so maybe someone who has the HF-2/PS-500/e, and has/heard the PS1K can say if they sound alike in some ways?
Here is an HF-2 for sale NOS/NIB.

Feb 28, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #1,491 of 3,605

The PS500 would seem to be the logical answer, but in my opinion, the GS1000 is the model that sounds the closest to the PS1000.

The reason being that they both have the same configuration as far as shape goes, and they both have G-cush, wich accout for their bigger sounstage, than the other models.

I also think that the GS1000 represent a much better price vs performance ratio, than the PS1000.

Feb 28, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #1,492 of 3,605
The PS500 would seem to be the logical answer, but in my opinion, the GS1000 is the model that sounds the closest to the PS1000.

The reason being that they both have the same configuration as far as shape goes, and they both have G-cush, wich accout for their bigger sounstage, than the other models.

I also think that the GS1000 represent a much better price vs performance ratio.

Thanks for the response. Quick question: is it your belief the GS1000 is a better value than the PS1000, or the PS500, or both?

Feb 28, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #1,493 of 3,605
Thanks for the response. Quick question: is it your belief the GS1000 is a better value than the PS1000, or the PS500, or both?

He owns both, the GS/PS-1000, plus other Grado models, and believes the GS is a better value (price/performance wise) than the PS1K. The PS1K is expensive, with out a doubt, but worth it,  especially in comparison to other HP's close or in the same price range that I've heard IMO.
Can you demo the models your interested in?

Mar 1, 2015 at 7:14 AM Post #1,494 of 3,605

the GS1000 is the model that sounds the closest to the PS1000.

I'm considering moving from my Stax rig *back* to a Grado rig but wanted to run this by some PS1000 owners...

I had the GS1000's for years (like five years straight) and loved them with certain types of music. I used them with a very smooth (highs) and warm system, a NOS/R2R MHDT Labs tube DAC and a Ray Samuels Raptor tube amp; with jazz, classical, latin, chamber, vocal music, the system was about the best I've ever heard thru the GS1000's ...

But when I'd switch to some of my other favorites: Metal, 80's Punk, garage music, etc. ... the highs just ruined the listening experience altogether and especially when listening at louder volumes, which is where I feel such music needs to be heard ... no amount of source/amp swapping really solved this for me with the GS1000's and so I've been on a Stax rig for the past couple years.

Anyway, having heard the PS500, I was pleased to hear that all high frequency glare/discomfort had pretty much been removed (in fact the highs sounded even a bit rolled off).

But I've never heard the PS1000 (which I'd prefer over the PS500 for reasons of detail/sound stage) and was wondering if they correct some of the obvious high frequency troubles the GS1000 have with certain sorts of rock music.

If purchasing the PS1000, I'd most likely be using it with the same very nice/smooth tube DAC and a tube amplifier such as the Ear+ HD or the Decware CSP3 ... (or some other tube amp) ....

Any thoughts on these questions would be appreciated...

Best,
Joel

Mar 1, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #1,495 of 3,605

I'm considering moving from my Stax rig *back* to a Grado rig but wanted to run this by some PS1000 owners...

I had the GS1000's for years (like five years straight) and loved them with certain types of music. I used them with a very smooth (highs) and warm system, a NOS/R2R MHDT Labs tube DAC and a Ray Samuels Raptor tube amp; with jazz, classical, latin, chamber, vocal music, the system was about the best I've ever heard thru the GS1000's ...

But when I'd switch to some of my other favorites: Metal, 80's Punk, garage music, etc. ... the highs just ruined the listening experience altogether and especially when listening at louder volumes, which is where I feel such music needs to be heard ... no amount of source/amp swapping really solved this for me with the GS1000's and so I've been on a Stax rig for the past couple years.

Anyway, having heard the PS500, I was pleased to hear that all high frequency glare/discomfort had pretty much been removed (in fact the highs sounded even a bit rolled off).

But I've never heard the PS1000 (which I'd prefer over the PS500 for reasons of detail/sound stage) and was wondering if they correct some of the obvious high frequency troubles the GS1000 have with certain sorts of rock music.

If purchasing the PS1000, I'd most likely be using it with the same very nice/smooth tube DAC and a tube amplifier such as the Ear+ HD or the Decware CSP3 ... (or some other tube amp) ....

Any thoughts on these questions would be appreciated...

Best,
Joel

I believe the PS1000 highs are smoother than the GS1k in general. Anyways, I use the WA7 which is known as being a very smooth tube amp and I have 0 issues with the highs. In fact, I am now using the dacmini as my dac, which is known as a slight bright dac, instead of the internal WA7 Dac and I still have no issues.

I am also interest in the Decware CSP3 for my HD800 and I would be curious to know how it pairs with the PS1000 as well.

Mar 1, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #1,496 of 3,605
  I believe the PS1000 highs are smoother than the GS1k in general. Anyways, I use the WA7 which is known as being a very smooth tube amp and I have 0 issues with the highs. In fact, I am now using the dacmini as my dac, which is known as a slight bright dac, instead of the internal WA7 Dac and I still have no issues.

I am also interest in the Decware CSP3 for my HD800 and I would be curious to know how it pairs with the PS1000 as well.

The GS1000 remains one of the most amazing headphones I've ever heard; it's why I kept it so long. But in the end, I found it was primarily a "specialty" headphone that was simply not appropriate for certain music (again, the highs).

Like I said, I sure know the PS500 that I had on loan for a very good while was no where even close to being "edgy" or "strident" in the highs as so many Grados really are; I'd heard nothing from Grado like them before and was pleased at the change. So I'm hoping the PS1000's carry over a bit of that high frequency politeness that I liked so much about the PS500 while retaining that freakishly "organic" detail, tone and sound stage that I so loved about the GS1000's ...

The WA7 is interesting. Glad you mentioned that. Once I source a used PS1000 (I'm trying to find a non "E" version), I'm going to have to buy an amp (already have the DAC) and will be seriously considering the WA7 as I have limited desktop space and the price is definitely right.

I've never heard the CSP3 but like the WA7, I read lots of good stuff about it. It too would fit my desk nicely. I've heard a bit of static about occasional noise with some Decware amps, though and this makes me curious.

Any other sub $1500 dollar amplifier options you (or anyone else can list quickly?).

Best,
Joel

Mar 1, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #1,497 of 3,605
  He owns both, the GS/PS-1000, plus other Grado models, and believes the GS is a better value (price/performance wise) than the PS1K. The PS1K is expensive, with out a doubt, but worth it,  especially in comparison to other HP's close or in the same price range that I've heard IMO.
Can you demo the models your interested in?

Sometimes I wonder if people take the time to read the entire posts when we answer them, sheeesh!, Anyway, thanks for setting the record straight Joseph.
beerchug.gif

And for future references, here are my three favorites Grados, that I think offer the best price vs performance ratio.

1) - SR80e

2) - Bushmills X

3) - PS500 and GS1000i (equal)

So far, I haven't had the chance to hear the ''e'' versions of my #3 choices. 

Mar 1, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #1,499 of 3,605
  Congratulations!
Chrome cups/black leather headband/1/4" termination, and I'm not sure (may depend on how long they've been in stock) but I think Grado may have stopped with the "red" on the backs of the drivers??? But they are still the (e) series drivers.

Hey Joseph, why do say that Grado may have stopped using red on the back of the e serie's driver?

Mar 1, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #1,500 of 3,605

The GS1000 remains one of the most amazing headphones I've ever heard; it's why I kept it so long. But in the end, I found it was primarily a "specialty" headphone that was simply not appropriate for certain music (again, the highs).

Like I said, I sure know the PS500 that I had on loan for a very good while was no where even close to being "edgy" or "strident" in the highs as so many Grados really are; I'd heard nothing from Grado like them before and was pleased at the change. So I'm hoping the PS1000's carry over a bit of that high frequency politeness that I liked so much about the PS500 while retaining that freakishly "organic" detail, tone and sound stage that I so loved about the GS1000's ...

The WA7 is interesting. Glad you mentioned that. Once I source a used PS1000 (I'm trying to find a non "E" version), I'm going to have to buy an amp (already have the DAC) and will be seriously considering the WA7 as I have limited desktop space and the price is definitely right.

I've never heard the CSP3 but like the WA7, I read lots of good stuff about it. It too would fit my desk nicely. I've heard a bit of static about occasional noise with some Decware amps, though and this makes me curious.

Any other sub $1500 dollar amplifier options you (or anyone else can list quickly?).

Best,
Joel

I think you will find the PS1000 to be smooth and polite. I would not worry about it. I love the WA7. It is sleek, powerful, and extremely well built. It looks luxurious and takes up a small footprint. The WA7 sound is lush, smooth, and harmonically neutral with great depth. It does not overdo the tube sound like other Woo amps. It is not as bright as the WA6 SE either. It is a great pairing for the PS1K IMO. I do recommend purchasing the WA7tp (Tube powersupply) as well. If not upfront, later down the line as it does increase the thickness and depth of sound. I have also read that rolling the tubes of the power supply makes more of an impact on the sound than rolling the amp tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back