PS1000 Impressions Thread
May 17, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #856 of 3,605
  I have my PSiK's for a little while now amped with the WA6, and I do like the sound…but I was wondering if the PS1K's would benefit more from a Hybrid amp like the Schiit Lyr. Have no intensions on letting the WA6 go, I love this amp, but am thinking that the current from the Lyr (or another Hybrid amp) would suite the PS1K's better for precision/speed. 
Also does anyone use the Lyr (or other Hybrid) with the PS1K's, and feels a Hybrid is very good match for them? I was also interested in the Fosgate Signature Headphon Amp, I can pick up a demo model for a discount, but it would still be double the price of the Lyr, and I know the Lyr is highly regarded on Head-Fi. Also, I don't see many comments/recommendations, or people on Head-Fi that use the Fosgate amp, and also I'm not really into the bass boost surround sound/filter features, I pretty much like my things simple, so if anyone has any experience with this amp, I would also appreciate any comments about it. Keep in mind this is for the PS1K's only, not my other Grados.
                                                                                                                                                      Thanks!

Have you tried the Sophia Princess and 6EW7s with the PS1Ks?  I like that combination quite a bit, though with a WA6-SE, not the WA6.
A lot of the tubes I like with LCD3s, particularly the USAF 596, don't work for me with the Grados.  YMMV of course.

May 17, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #857 of 3,605

Have you tried the Sophia Princess and 6EW7s with the PS1Ks?  I like that combination quite a bit, though with a WA6-SE, not the WA6.
A lot of the tubes I like with LCD3s, particularly the USAF 596, don't work for me with the Grados.  YMMV of course.

Yes, I should have mentioned I have those combos, plus many others. Thanks.
The reason I'm thinking the hybrid is for the current…I'm between 12-2 o'clock too achieve reasonable sound performance with the WA6/PS1K's…even though they are easy too drive, there is that certain volume that all Grados IMO give a particularly beautiful sound, and I may feel like I could use a bit more juice. And I do understand they are 32-Ohm, but still…I feel they could sound faster/tighter at times, so I figured why not have the tube input with the SS output for a nice balance of warmth/power.

May 17, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #858 of 3,605
  Yes, I should have mentioned I have those combos, plus many others. Thanks.
The reason I'm thinking the hybrid is for the current…I'm between 12-2 o'clock too achieve reasonable sound performance with the WA6/PS1K's…even though they are easy too drive, there is that certain volume that all Grados IMO give a particularly beautiful sound, and I may feel like I could use a bit more juice. And I do understand they are 32-Ohm, but still…I feel they could sound faster/tighter at times, so I figured why not have the tube input with the SS output for a nice balance of warmth/power.

The 6SE is more powerful than the 6 and also has both high and low impedance outputs, so this could be a bit of an apples/oranges comparison.  Do you have a 596/6FD7s to try?  Perhaps in the 6, the extra power would work out.  Normally I'd suggest seeing if Jack would trade out your 6 for the 6SE but I know you've done some very nice exterior work on yours so that probably isn't an option.

Agreed that the PS1Ks need to reach a certain volume to sound their best.

May 17, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #859 of 3,605
I need to jump in here... I have owned my PS1000's for a year and they rule the roost! My HE500's are also very nice but do not overtake the PS1K's in any way... My PS500's are very nearly as good...  My PS1K's respond very nicely to my Van Alstine Transcendance 8+ preamp and
Musical Fidelity M1DAC! I use my AH! Noe Tjoeb CD player and it is addictive. Very natural and balanced, hard to turn it off at night!

May 17, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #860 of 3,605

The 6SE is more powerful than the 6 and also has both high and low impedance outputs, so this could be a bit of an apples/oranges comparison.  Do you have a 596/6FD7s to try?  Perhaps in the 6, the extra power would work out.  Normally I'd suggest seeing if Jack would trade out your 6 for the 6SE but I know you've done some very nice exterior work on yours so that probably isn't an option.

Agreed that the PS1Ks need to reach a certain volume to sound their best.

Thanks for the compliment on my WA6. This amp also has hi/lo impedance switch, and I'm using 596/6DF7' or Sylvania 6SN7WGTA's, so I have tried both, plus other rectifier/driver combos.  I know this is a subjective question, but with the WA6 S/E at what position on the volume dial would reach the optimum listening level for you in most cases with the PS1K's.
Because I have thought about getting the WA6 S/E. BTW, I only used silicone to hold the wood on, a hair dryer and dental floss will take it right off, them I could rub the silicone off with my fingers…I did this incase I ran onto this type of situation. Also If I went with the S/E, I could use the transformer cover/side panels again, but not the tube base cover, that would have to be made again along with some other new pieces for both. I'm just undecided right now. Does the S/E have that much more power than the WA6?

May 17, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #861 of 3,605
  Thanks for the compliment on my WA6. This amp also has hi/lo impedance switch, and I'm using 596/6DF7' or Sylvania 6SN7WGTA's, so I have tried both, plus other rectifier/driver combos.  I know this is a subjective question, but with the WA6 S/E at what position on the volume dial would reach the optimum listening level for you in most cases with the PS1K's.
Because I have thought about getting the WA6 S/E. BTW, I only used silicone to hold the wood on, a hair dryer and dental floss will take it right off, them I could rub the silicone off with my fingers…I did this incase I ran onto this type of situation. Also If I went with the S/E, I could use the transformer cover/side panels again, but not the tube base cover, that would have to be made again along with some other new pieces for both. I'm just undecided right now. Does the S/E have that much more power than the WA6?

The 6SE is listed on Woo's site as being around twice the output power of the 6, so there is a significant difference.  FWIW, Jack was pretty insistent that the SE paired better with the PS1Ks when I was shopping for the amp.

I tend to listen at fairly loud volume and with the Sophia and 6EW7 and find that 11 o'clock is about right out of the low impedance jack.  Thanks for the correction on the 6 having a high/low option and smart move on how you attached those panels!

May 17, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #862 of 3,605

The 6SE is listed on Woo's site as being around twice the output power of the 6, so there is a significant difference.  FWIW, Jack was pretty insistent that the SE paired better with the PS1Ks when I was shopping for the amp.

I tend to listen at fairly loud volume and with the Sophia and 6EW7 and find that 11 o'clock is about right out of the low impedance jack.  Thanks for the correction on the 6 having a high/low option and smart move on how you attached those panels!

Thanks for your information on the 6-S/E, and the wood attachment compliment.
I just start getting to a nice performance level past 12-1 o'clock with the PS's and by all means it is in no way too loud for the care of my hearing, it starts to just sound right at that volume, but if I want to enhance it a bit I'm at 1- 2 o'clock, anything beyond that (which I never tried, and never will) I feel l will start clipping/distorting the sound, but the PS's feel like they are asking for more too me, like they want too be unleashed! I'm going to sit on this (not long) and figure out what I want to do. Thanks again for your replies…and by all means I do love the sound of my WA6, so I just may go for the S/E for the extra power, because thats all I'm looking for, particularly for the PS's, not a different amplification sound, plus I can use all of the tubes I already purchased. Thanks again!

May 17, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #863 of 3,605
Just pulled the trigger on the WA6-S/E.
Definitely the most sensible move to make at this point for just wanting some more power…plus I don't need any tubes, just some new oak for the amp/PSU tube base covers, and output transformer covers on the amp.
Thank bfreedma for giving me you impressions from experience with this amps power,  which is just what I was looking for…just some more power to the great sound of the WA6/PS1K's. Thanks again!

May 18, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #865 of 3,605
Just pulled the trigger on the WA6-S/E.
Definitely the most sensible move to make at this point for just wanting some more power…plus I don't need any tubes, just some new oak for the amp/PSU tube base covers, and output transformer covers on the amp.
Thank bfreedma for giving me you impressions from experience with this amps power,  which is just what I was looking for…just some more power to the great sound of the WA6/PS1K's. Thanks again!

Congrats on your purchase Joseph! Looking forward to your impressions - I'm really interested in your thoughts once you've had a chance to compare the two amps for a while.

Glad I could provide some opinions and hope the SE delivers for you.

Make sure you check the tube list on Woo's site for the SE. The vast majority of what you have will work, but a few that are compatible with the 6 can't be used in the SE.

May 18, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #867 of 3,605
Congrats on your purchase Joseph! Looking forward to your impressions - I'm really interested in your thoughts once you've had a chance to compare the two amps for a while.

Glad I could provide some opinions and hope the SE delivers for you.

Make sure you check the tube list on Woo's site for the SE. The vast majority of what you have will work, but a few that are compatible with the 6 can't be used in the SE.

Thank you!
[size=x-small]I was looking at the tube chart, and the way I see it, I could use every tube I have[/size]…[size=x-small] but the 6SN7 from what I understand from the chart says the WA6 (needs) an adapter (which I have), and the S/E (doesn't) need the adapter. I asked Jack about this and he said the 6SN7 should NOT be used with the S/E (which is a favorite of mine), so I'm really not sure if I can use it, because the chart says I can (without) the adapter, and Jack says no. Do you use the 6SN7' in your S/E, or anyone for that matter?[/size]

May 18, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #868 of 3,605
  I have my PSiK's for a little while now amped with the WA6, and I do like the sound…but I was wondering if the PS1K's would benefit more from a Hybrid amp like the Schiit Lyr. Have no intensions on letting the WA6 go, I love this amp, but am thinking that the current from the Lyr (or another Hybrid amp) would suite the PS1K's better for precision/speed. 
Also does anyone use the Lyr (or other Hybrid) with the PS1K's, and feels a Hybrid is very good match for them? I was also interested in the Fosgate Signature Headphon Amp, I can pick up a demo model for a discount, but it would still be double the price of the Lyr, and I know the Lyr is highly regarded on Head-Fi. Also, I don't see many comments/recommendations, or people on Head-Fi that use the Fosgate amp, and also I'm not really into the bass boost surround sound/filter features, I pretty much like my things simple, so if anyone has any experience with this amp, I would also appreciate any comments about it. Keep in mind this is for the PS1K's only, not my other Grados.
                                                                                                                                                      Thanks!

I think it is time for you to start going to the adioholics anon meetings, when you start buying amps for one specific headphone...you are gone..no hope..time for rehab.

May 18, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #869 of 3,605
I think it is time for you to start going to the adioholics anon meetings, when you start buying amps for one specific headphone...you are gone..no hope..time for rehab.

Oh no , I may need to go to that meeting too !

May 18, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #870 of 3,605

Your right, if I didn't have the PS1K's, I wouldn't have done this…but I want too get the most out of them, and feel they need a bit more power. Do you where the next Audioholics meeting is???
Oh no , I may need to go to that meeting too !

I can't drive so can you pick me up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back