PS Audio Sprout 100 impressions
Jul 7, 2018 at 1:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

diegopx

New Head-Fier
Haven't really seen any reviews focusing on the headphone output of the new PS Audio Sprout 100. I hear the headphone output is greatly improved, and would love to get any first-hand impressions from folks that own this little amp.

Jul 23, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #2 of 11
Hi!, I am no expert by any means, not am I a very knowledgeable audiophile.
I have had this Unit in my living room for the past few weeks, it has been used to power my Elac B6 set.
That being said I used it with a few headphones: HD800S, HD 6XX and OPPO PM-3.
It works well, has a lot of power for a small unit. I found I picked up a bit too much black noise with it for the 800's
I also don't think it's the most open sound, it keep things tight.
I got this unit for the footprint (nice, small and discrete) and for the versatility (remote, fiber and usb)
I recommend it If you use it as an all-in-one solution, not so much for headphones only.
I'll answer any questions you have, don't hesitate!

James

Jul 23, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #3 of 11
Hi!, I am no expert by any means, not am I a very knowledgeable audiophile.
I have had this Unit in my living room for the past few weeks, it has been used to power my Elac B6 set.
That being said I used it with a few headphones: HD800S, HD 6XX and OPPO PM-3.
It works well, has a lot of power for a small unit. I found I picked up a bit too much black noise with it for the 800's
I also don't think it's the most open sound, it keep things tight.
I got this unit for the footprint (nice, small and discrete) and for the versatility (remote, fiber and usb)
I recommend it If you use it as an all-in-one solution, not so much for headphones only.
I'll answer any questions you have, don't hesitate!

James

Sweet, glad to hear that it's working out for you! I actually ended up biting the bullet on the Sprout 100 and now have it on my desk powering my Eclipse TD508MK3 speakers and a sub. I'm super impressed at the sonic performance of this little unit so far, it sounds really good with my IEMs and my ZMF Eikon. It is a little confusing to keep track of what the defeatable bass boost is doing, but I like the hardware overall. I also so find that I really have to crank on the volume knob to get adjustments dialed in, wished they had made that a little more sensitive.

Do you see any difference in volume between USB and optical? I notice it between analog and digital and am curious since I'm looking to switch over to USB to get rid of a ground loop I have in my setup.

Jul 23, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #4 of 11
I prefer USB anytime.
Optical is my only option to my TV (older gen) and it works good, but you are correct, the volume knob is just way too sensitive, you practically have to give it 2 turns before you hear an audible difference. I don't really notice it unless I plug my headphones in because I only use the Nvidia Shield as Primary source for the TV and there is a great volume control on it.
That is the main reason why I like the little remote. Nice, sturdy, heavy and magnetized. I stick it to my table.
The Sonic performance, in my opinion if far superior on my Elac's then in my headphones. I just enjoy music from the speakers on the unit a lot more.

I do Admit, I was a backer on Massdrop and was a bit disappointed to pay full price when I was expecting something else than the 100...
We basically funded the 100 and got nothing of value in return.

Jul 23, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #5 of 11
I see. I get a similar feeling, actually, that the Sprout 100 really shines as a speaker amp. That totally makes sense given PS Audio's heritage.

I had no idea these were on massdrop, that sucks you didn't get any sort of early bird special...

Aug 3, 2018 at 1:59 AM Post #6 of 11
I do believe you got a unique color scheme, or at least had the option too choose one in some kind of grey or black. Massdrop sometimes walks a fine line between legitimate deals and a marketing/advertising gimic/partnership for manufacturers.

Aug 4, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #7 of 11
I was looking at if this was really an upgrade to my original Sprout. Not really seeing it.

Sep 27, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #8 of 11
Just got one of these. I don't have a point of reference as I have not heard any other headphone amp/dac but it is very impressive. Paired with the HD6xx, the soundstage was immersive and the details were so heightened to a level that I have not heard before.

I am very curious about other people's thoughts here though. I am thinking about getting a Chord Mojo or an IFI BL Micro to compare.

Feb 6, 2019 at 12:56 AM Post #9 of 11
Anyone else out there using the Sprout100 as a headphone amp/DAC? Getting the itch to replace this with a more capable solution for my headphones.

Feb 28, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #10 of 11
Hi guys. I am curious how the vinyl input quality is? I currently have an at-lp60 turntable and would like to know if the phono amp inside the sprout is better than what's in the turntable.

Anybody using it for records? Thanks in advance

Jan 20, 2023 at 10:33 PM Post #11 of 11
I am new to the headphone world and pulled my Sprout 100 from my bedroom to a guest room and hooked it up to Sennheiser HD 820’s with an Innuos Zenmini mk3 feed. I was underwhelmed. I found a PSA GCHA and am awaiting its arrival. Will update when I have the opportunity to audition. Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back