PS Audio P300 et al...
Jul 25, 2002 at 2:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

pigmode

Truck-Fi
Time to look at power issues. All I have a one outlet to feed six components so here is a proposed setup:

PS Audio P300
PS Audio Juice Bar
Power Cords (to be decided)
ACME silver plated outlet

I guess the PS Audio is capable of handling just the cdp and possibly a preamp. Everything else will go to the Juice Bar.

Jul 25, 2002 at 3:52 PM Post #2 of 21
I recently purchased the PS Audio Ultimate OUtlet (Standard Version). I have a Hospital Grade AC outlet which I bought from Home Depot, and I bought a Cardas Quadlink Power Cord which hooks up directly into the Ultimate Outlet.

I use two basic power strips connected to the outputs of the Ultimate Outlet. The power strips do not have surge protection, which is provided by the UO.

I would have liked to get the Juice Bars; but they cost $199 each,which is a bit steep for me.

But otherwise, this setup is working out great for me. PS Audio has some great products and their website has a lot of good information about Power Quality.

Jul 25, 2002 at 3:58 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

I use two basic power strips connected to the outputs of the Ultimate Outlet. The power strips do not have surge protection, which is provided by the UO.

Yup, the Juice Bar is expensive but its supposed to be wired in a way that every connection has direct access to the juice. I'm willing to look into that.

Jul 25, 2002 at 7:46 PM Post #4 of 21
the ps audio 300 seems to be THE power conditioning device to have in the audio world.. but ever since jude's review of the b.p.t. stuff, i've wondered about those as well. i wonder which is actually better? the ps audio does cost about $1250, if i remember correctly and a bpt-jr. can be bought for much cheaper.. but it doesn't come with a neat screen and fan built into it.
wink.gif

Jul 25, 2002 at 8:47 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode

Yup, the Juice Bar is expensive but its supposed to be wired in a way that every connection has direct access to the juice. I'm willing to look into that.

You are definitely right about the quality of the Juice Bar. Once I can afford 2 of them I will buy them.

Jul 26, 2002 at 2:14 AM Post #6 of 21
Grinch,
The thing about the PS300 is that its not a power conditioner. Its a power generator, and the Multiwave function does some other stuff. Many users have been happy with it, but you also see them for sale regularly.

In terms of power cords, I just have one Zu Mother, which will be installed this weekend.

Jul 26, 2002 at 12:14 PM Post #7 of 21
I have a few comments, experiences:

Wall outlet - this is no brainer upgrade, I use PS Audio Power Port

Juice Bar - no surge protection, requires another expensive AC cord in the chain.

PS Audio Ultimate Outlet - I used to own one, great reviews but in my system the Monster HTS2000 + 8 Audioprism Quietlines II are preferred. The Monster 2000 was maybe a lucky accident since other Monster conditioners (even new PB21000) don't sound as good.
You could get two UO, high current for amp and standard for CDP
and preamp for whole system setup. For more outlets you need Juice Bar (or even another UO) but this is just too complcated and too many additional AC cords.

PS Audio P300 - I would like to try one of these, easy to get used at Audiogon for $800 or less. Only power for front end equipment,
so amp must have other arrangement (PS Audio would like that to be high current Ultimate Outlet)

I am getting excellent results currently from:
PS Audio Power Port wall outlet
Monster HTS2000 conditioner
Audioprism Quietlines II (set of 8)
Virtual Dynamics AC cords

Power set-up

Jul 26, 2002 at 4:17 PM Post #8 of 21
I'm trying to avoid any type of power conditioner for the initial setup.

I already have the ACME outlet (not installed), but will try the PS Audio Power Port in due time.

One thing about the P300 is it might even be marginal using a cdp and a preamp. Some users have reported excessive heat with preamps. Another issue could be fan noise.

Jul 26, 2002 at 6:58 PM Post #9 of 21
hey pigmode,

i've disconnected the (updated) fan from my ps300 w/multiwave, the noise just wasn't worth it to me. as long as you give it proper ventilation - mine isn't encased, sits on a cement slab and raised three inches from the surface of the stand - you should be fine. its going to run hot regardless, but hooking up preamps or a headphone amp to it isn't a huge deal and the level meter doesn't get too high in my case, so i wouldn't worry about it too much. its been a hell of a system upgrade for me, the multiwave has *very* audible improvements and differences between each setting in terms of soundstage and frequency extension. i'm not talking about anything subtle: image placement lost the hazed out quality i previously had and instead had clear definition, decay of instruments is much more real and palpable, and texture (ie the sound of hands slapping a skin drum) is much more believable. when considering heat, a cool feature of the unit is when changing frequency settings the components hooked up to my unit run cooler. well worth the money for me.

grinch,

i reviewed the bpt bp4se a while back. there's a lot i like about it: its well made, has a very valid design philosophy, and did well for me in terms of perceived frequency extension. however, in my system it completely colapsed my soundstage; i had a very solid center image but everything to the left and right of it clung to my speakers, creating pockets of empty space. i had to toe my speakers in for fill, which obviously reduced soundstage width, a trade off i wasn't willing to make. i think its a hell of a product but it just didn't work for my system.

the converse of that is a collegue loved the bpt4se in his system and felt it easily outclassed the p300. he complained of excess warmth with the ps audio (which i do find with the stock setting) but i suspect he didn't spend very much time with the multiwave options. i never heard the p300 in his setup but i have to admit that the bp4se did create a solid foundation and leading lines for him. as with anything its system dependent, but whats nice about the p300 is frequency, voltage, and different multiwave patters (ie: sawtooth, sine, and square wave combinations) are adjustable, making it very adaptable to different system setups.

glad you liked that post on proportion btw, i was a bit worried a lot of people wouldn't realise my tongue was firmly planted in cheek
wink.gif

best,
carlo.

Jul 29, 2002 at 5:15 PM Post #11 of 21
thanks for the info/review carlo. i've eben looking into getting some power conditioners of some kind, but i've also been thinking about getting some new power cords as well. i don't own any aftermarket cords yet; it's not that i don't believe they sound better, it's just tough to take that leap and say "i am now spending $150 for power cable" and i'll need at least two of them (wouldn't want to choose just the headphone amp or just my cd player). maybe i'll look on audiogon for the ps300..

but on the other hand, i could always put in the small bucks and try the b.p.t. jr. and see what it does for me. i have only headphones to listen to (no space for speakers) and it may help out my system. course, i'm still thinking about a source upgrade as well..

Jul 29, 2002 at 8:08 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

grinch said...

but on the other hand, i could always put in the small bucks and try the b.p.t. jr. and see what it does for me. i have only headphones to listen to (no space for speakers) and it may help out my system.

Do it. Looking at your equipment profile, I'll be very surprised if you don't hear a significant improvement.

Jul 29, 2002 at 8:53 PM Post #15 of 21
darkangel,

no problems with transformer hum with any of the settings. my power amp goes directly into the wall, still the best option in my system and current home. however, i think that may change once i move back into the metro los angeles area (i've already tried an ultimate outlet and a few other "high current" components but didn't think they were worth it, will reevaluate in a month after my move).

regards,
carlo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back