PS Audio GCHA Obsolete?
Mar 31, 2010 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

VT Skier

New Head-Fier
Does anyone know whether PS Audio is planning to replace the GCHA with a new amp? It's about five years old, and the price has recently been cut in half.

I wasn't able to get a response from PS Audio, and the dealer I know hasn't heard anything either.

Thanks for any help with this.

Jon

Mar 31, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #2 of 12
So far as I know, there is no replacement in the works. It still is a great sounding headphone amp, and a screaming bargain at 1/2 price. Of course I am biased since we sell them, but it is worth listening to.

Hope that helps.

Apr 2, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #3 of 12
PS Audio did confirm that they are not working on a replacement for this amp, and I agree with fzman -- it's a crazy bargain at $500. Not sure why they lowered the price so much, but I'm definitely getting one.

Apr 2, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by VT Skier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PS Audio did confirm that they are not working on a replacement for this amp, and I agree with fzman -- it's a crazy bargain at $500. Not sure why they lowered the price so much, but I'm definitely getting one.

You won't regret it, that's for sure. It is one fine sounding amp!

I think even at the 1K price, it's well worth the cost. At half the price, new, it's a steal.

I prefer the sound of all my Grados through the PS Audio amp than that of any other amp I've listened to them through. I also like it tons with my other cans.

I think that if the GCHA was made by one of the more "boutique" one-man-shop amp manufacturers, it would be lauded as one of the better solid state amps available.

Apr 2, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #5 of 12
There's been some pretty impressive recommendations for the GCHA: beating the Stello HP100 and many others... Biggest problem here is not living in the US anymore
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 2, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #6 of 12
It has a love / hate relationship with some headphones. It is very neutral top to bottom which results in lack of bass on phones that are known for being bass lite to begin with. I've read that it lacked in dynamics, but I think that it was only because of the lack of bass slam.

I've had my "Cullen" modified - it does not change the signature or presentation, but does give it a quieter background and a touch of refinement. Those two things combined make it easier to make out all the subtle nuances.

Apr 3, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #7 of 12
I'm planning to use it with the Denon 7000s, hoping that the pair will make a nice combination. Or maybe the 5000s -- haven't decided yet how much I'd like to spend.

I'd love to know whether you think the Cullen mods are worth it. It seems a little expensive for the parts that are upgraded.

Jun 2, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #10 of 12
In the latest PS Audio Newsletter, they said that the amp is going out of production and the last remaining stock is going for the reduced price of 499.00.  I sold mine about a year ago and regretted it.  A couple weeks ago, I picked up another one at the reduced price and it sounds really great, even better than I remember it.  I would have to say, the best amp I have owned and works really well the HD 800's.  At $500.00 it is just an incredible bargain.

Aug 2, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #11 of 12
I just bought one of em at the reduced price - stupidly good value for money!

A bit harsh straight out of the box, but after 20 hours or so it's already sounding a whole lot better ^_^

Dec 12, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #12 of 12
A friend at a major Chicago retailer suggested that PS Audio may have plans to incorporate the GCHA technology into their PerfectWave DAC/Transport architecture as a 600-750 modular upgrade.

The GCHA tech is not obsolete, but other amps have caught up, sometimes at prices below $1000.

Amandela77

Users who are viewing this thread

Back