PS Audio GCHA + HD580s = Weak sub bass (suggestions?)
Sep 10, 2009 at 7:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

texashorn91

100+ Head-Fier
I recently bought a PS Audio GCHA and have been extremely happy with it except for one thing: the bass. It is very "polite" and doesn't have the slam I like to have with some rock music. I feel like everything else is perfect on this amp, so I want to keep it. What can I do that will improve bass impact and depth?

My system is in my signature. I don't think it is my CD Player because the CDP has much better bass than the onboard DAC of the unit. Thanks for your time, guys.

Craig

Sep 21, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #3 of 7
easy answer? try new cans. "Classic" Senn's have a deep bass weakness, so does the AKG lineup. certain manufacturers of audio equipment compensate for this weakness by boosting bass frequencies a few dB. GCHA is pretty neutral and doesn't compensate for weak cans. If you were using a D5000 by Denon, you'd probably be writing about how bassy and "flatulent" the amp sounds...
biggrin.gif

Sep 21, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by omendelovitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
easy answer? try new cans. "Classic" Senn's have a deep bass weakness, so does the AKG lineup. certain manufacturers of audio equipment compensate for this weakness by boosting bass frequencies a few dB. GCHA is pretty neutral and doesn't compensate for weak cans. If you were using a D5000 by Denon, you'd probably be writing about how bassy and "flatulent" the amp sounds...
biggrin.gif

Not to dis-agree with Oriel (I will anyway). It's a question of crude power to make the Senn (any of the 580/600 or 650) dance. Balanced from a Beta for example...great balance and lots-a-stomp!

Sep 21, 2009 at 7:09 AM Post #6 of 7
The GCHA does do this to Sennheisers. Some people like that it takes the HD650 and dries up the bass - tightens it. I find it to be a nice change from the normal signature that the HXX0 lineup brings.

I have the Cullen modified GCHA, it does not add much if any bass back. If you want the all the pluses of the GCHA and the bass, you might need to go balanced to give them all the voltage they can handle.

Sep 21, 2009 at 10:12 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by M3NTAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The GCHA does do this to Sennheisers. Some people like that it takes the HD650 and dries up the bass - tightens it. I find it to be a nice change from the normal signature that the HXX0 lineup brings.

I have the Cullen modified GCHA, it does not add much if any bass back. If you want the all the pluses of the GCHA and the bass, you might need to go balanced to give them all the voltage they can handle.

Amen!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back