PS Audio GCHA = Aural Bliss
May 30, 2007 at 3:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 90

sum

100+ Head-Fier
So I've received my PS Audio GCHA. All I can say is wow. I've been playing with it for a few days now. My only problem right now is a slight amount of sibilance with my k701s; although this seems to be diminishing. Thus far this amp works incredibly well with any of my cans at any volume. There is a tremendous amount of detail still available even at very low levels. It also happens to make my 650s sing. The amp is without a doubt solid state, but it is very liquid while still maintaining a high level of detail.

May 30, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #2 of 90
My experience is that everything that you say is correct!

The level of detail at lower volume settings is stunning.

The relative lack of discussion of this amp is also stunning.

I get the impression that there's a general lack of interest in headphone amps brought out by "real companies" as opposed to guys who make you wait. Maybe there's a waiting fetish, maybe there's some kind of belief that, as David Shapiro wrote in a chapter entitled "Obsessive-Compulsive Rigidity" in his book AUTONOMY AND RIGID CHARACTER, "the difficult and the not easily available is valued, again in principle, over the easily available."

As one who has had a lot of amps, from both big companies and from boutique places, the former tend to sound better. I think that many people prefer difficulties to easy, good sound!

The PS Audio GCHA is easy, good sound......................
580smile.gif

May 30, 2007 at 7:12 AM Post #3 of 90
I have to say that the GCHA looks awesome in person. I saw it back when I lived in Colorado and got to tour PS Audio's facility. Built like a tank. It's heavier than I thought it would be too, must be a beefy power supply in there.

If it came in black I'd probably own one.
redface.gif

May 30, 2007 at 7:12 AM Post #4 of 90
Sum,

Quote:

It also happens to make my 650s sing. The amp is without a doubt solid state, but it is very liquid while still maintaining a high level of detail.

Couldn't agree more with you more. A big ditto to Gregg's comments as well.

Enjoy your GCHA.

Cheers,
Garry

May 30, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #6 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I get the impression that there's a general lack of interest in headphone amps brought out by "real companies" as opposed to guys who make you wait. Maybe there's a waiting fetish, maybe there's some kind of belief that, as David Shapiro wrote in a chapter entitled "Obsessive-Compulsive Rigidity" in his book AUTONOMY AND RIGID CHARACTER, "the difficult and the not easily available is valued, again in principle, over the easily available."

I think what deters a lot of people in this regard is that the amp is SS and costs a grand...

May 30, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #8 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by islewind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've listened to the Gaincell integrateds, and they belw me away. I'd expect the HA to be pretty stellar as well.

Rick Cullen, who's company manufactures the Gain Cell, has a souped up version of them available. I've been tempted to send my amp in for modification to get the new cells as well as a few things I wouldn't mind, like balanced inputs and better caps in the power supply.

May 31, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #9 of 90
What do these things usually go for used?

May 31, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #10 of 90
Also, how good is the DAC in the psaudio? If its the same as the Total Bithead, that doesn't sound overly inspiring?

May 31, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #11 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bootleg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, how good is the DAC in the psaudio? If its the same as the Total Bithead, that doesn't sound overly inspiring?

I think I read somewhere that it is the same DAC chip that is in the total bithead. Honestly, it's ok, but nothing special. I drive it with my Apogee Mini-DAC which I consider to be phenomenal.

May 31, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #12 of 90
Bootleg,

The GCHA has reasonably good resale value - I've see a few on Audiogon go for USD 650-700. The lowest I've seen was around 600, not on Audiogon but another site whose name escapes me at the moment, and believe is was snapped up rather quickly.

Cheers,
Garry

May 31, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #14 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe there's a waiting fetish, maybe there's some kind of belief that, as David Shapiro wrote in a chapter entitled "Obsessive-Compulsive Rigidity" in his book AUTONOMY AND RIGID CHARACTER, "the difficult and the not easily available is valued, again in principle, over the easily available."

I tend to believe that people aren't necessarily shallow, but wired to think in a very cause and effect type of mind set. We often equate what may be a supposed larger monetary value of any given item/product to higher quality, higher level of performance and, in principle, it's value to ourselves and our lives. Through this an item in high demand with low supply levels (yeah, that's right, I'm bringing the old supply and demand chart out) would tend to yield a higher price tag which would then be further coveted due to its higher price tag, no?

Although I do agree with you in that audiophiles immediately label "average consumer" products (within the audio world) as normally sub-par, they're often times right...

May 31, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #15 of 90
khbaur,
If I'm gonna bring in psychiatry, I guess you can bring in economics.
biggrin.gif

I think you've got a good point. The GCHA is sold by Crutchfield and is a readily available - eagerly available! - solid state unit.

This hobby becomes even more fascinating over time, as you begin to integrate different fields and get a different vision of what's going on. It's not just about sound or music!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back