PS Audio GCHA = Aural Bliss
Feb 21, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #76 of 90
ive used the GCHA and its one of the best amps ive heard. the dac section is not impressive but the amp is certainly is

Feb 21, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #77 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ive used the GCHA and its one of the best amps ive heard. the dac section is not impressive but the amp is certainly is

has anybody compared the dac section of the gcha as compared to the ps audio digital link outboard dac? what are the differences, in terms of chips used and especially the sound quality?

Apr 3, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #78 of 90
well, i just wanted to know is there anyone still have one of those and want to say something about this little beauty? from the search, this seems to be what i'm looking for. the only concern i still have is, if this can power my power hungry 600ohm dt880 and power it good?

Apr 9, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #79 of 90
it is as good or better than any amp priced likewise. it likes grados. it was a little dry with the k701's. if you are doing senns forget this and go rsa.

music_man

Apr 9, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #80 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by fhuang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, i just wanted to know is there anyone still have one of those and want to say something about this little beauty? from the search, this seems to be what i'm looking for. the only concern i still have is, if this can power my power hungry 600ohm dt880 and power it good?

They have no trouble driving the 600ohm dt880.

Apr 9, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #82 of 90
The GCHA is a wonderful refined amp, well worth its price. I may well buy one again sometime. I thought it was great with Senns as well as with the K701.

Apr 9, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #83 of 90
A further thought:

recstar24, who reviews for 6moons and has written a very good review of the PS Audio in that online journal, has described the GCHA as "soft and bland" on another forum.

I'd re-phrase that to "suave and refined."
wink.gif
It all depends upon the sound that you prefer. I found the Zana Deux over-the-top with exaggerated sonics, for example; the GCHA is a great cure for that.

May 28, 2008 at 9:34 AM Post #84 of 90
mm... how much are they going for right now?? Used... I mean..

Read in this thread that they do Grados very well.. would this include the HP-1000s?

What about the extremely power hungry K340? Will the CGHA drive these as well??

Jun 8, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #86 of 90
Not sure if this was discussed here yet, but the GCHA can now be had new for $500. Is this a steal at the end of a production run or a fair, lower price for  outdated tech?

I am curious as I shop for a starter amp to drive AKG 702's. This unit seems to be the most "substantial"  (as in well built, reliable and backed by a reputable brand) of options in this price range that has a usb dac onboard. For example, I am considering a dacport for its easy portability, but can't help thinking the GCHA would drive the AKG 702's with far greater ease. 

Jun 8, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #87 of 90
There is little to the concept of outdated tech in head-fi, especially with amplifers and something that's only about 5 years old, we're ampliying headphone signals from power sources, nothing super high tech, we're still using similar circuits, opamps, power supplies ... It's more a matter of design and engineering than 'tech'. There's plenty of good designs from the same time as the GCHA, still popular, you can't really extrapolate sound from age or market position, I've heard it with the K701 and it's a serious desktop amp alright.

Jun 8, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #88 of 90

Quote:
There is little to the concept of outdated tech in head-fi, especially with amplifers and something that's only about 5 years old, we're ampliying headphone signals from power sources, nothing super high tech, we're still using similar circuits, opamps, power supplies ... It's more a matter of design and engineering than 'tech'. There's plenty of good designs from the same time as the GCHA, still popular, you can't really extrapolate sound from age or market position, I've heard it with the K701 and it's a serious desktop amp alright.

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. I tend to agree about amplifier technology not being terribly complicated. In fact, even beyond "Head-fi" the amplifier is the component whose job is most straightforward in any system and therefore lasts the longest. As a general rule anyway. You see amps in systems for years, still going strong, whereas sources like CD players seem to warp toward obsolescence.

On the other hand, I should have been more specific in my question, because converting (and especially then upsampling), a USB signal from a cpu source is "high tech" and that is where one technology may eclipse another; i.e, the value of the GCHA has diminished because although it is still a solid HP amplifier, its USB DAC function is now surpassed by other designs. The GCHA released circa 2006, and there have been many advances in DAC technology, and especially USB DAC technology since. For example, even as a newb, I know that many advances have occurred in the area of jitter reduction alone, much less, clocking, upsampling, managing USB power noise and other hi-tehc stuff I am not smart enough to understand. 

I like the GCHA at 500 bucks even in light of the potential shortcomings of its aged USB dac, b/c you theoretically have 500 more bucks from its original retail to get a DAC if the need arises. 

Now I just need to get clearance to spend 500 bucks from the "boss" ....

Oct 23, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #89 of 90
I just took the plunge on one of these. I saw it for a price I couldn't resist. I hope it sounds good with my Grado PS-500e's. Everyone says Grado's don't need an amp, but I always hear a big difference in the headroom when they're properly amped. I loved how my PS-500's sounded with a Headroom Home. I then sold that and got a Geek Out because I wanted something small and easy. The sound of the GO just wasn't the same. As for the GCHA, I'll be using it's onboard dac for digital needs, but can't wait to hook this up to my TT.

I just hope that DAC isin't terrible. I somehow doubt PS audio would put a terrible DAC into one of their products.

May 29, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #90 of 90
Necroposting to say I picked up a minty GCHA tonight ... It is one of the very early models with RCA line level inputs only. The amp section, while being 15 years old, has aged incredibly well. I find it quite simply the most unfatiguing amp I have heard, including some tippy top valve jobs. Detail retrieval at low playback levels is simpy staggering. It brings immense scale to sound tracks and orchestral works, but works really well with just about every other genre too. HD800 work beautifully with this amp, HD600 even better. LCD2 and Elear sound a bit thick and slow though. PS Audio did something very right with this amp, but can't vouch for the DAC as I am feeding it a more modern line level signal. Do not overlook well-engineered and built amps like these in the quest for the latest and greatest drop / balanced / whatever amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back