Ps audio direct stream dsd DAC
Jun 12, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #76 of 265
The sennhiser has many inputs including balanced and SE . I just turned the dial. I did the sound volume by ear. Not perfect but this was so easy to pick out.
Also wow will you be happy with the direct stream. It is way above anything in that picture .

Al

Jun 19, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #77 of 265
Dispite the ability to decode the DSD, can anyone tell me what are greatest improvements  compared to PWD mk2 ???     thanks!!!

Jun 19, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #78 of 265
  Dispite the ability to decode the DSD, can anyone tell me what are greatest improvements  compared to PWD mk2 ???     thanks!!!

Good question.

popcorn.gif

Jun 19, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #79 of 265
As I have both it does everything better.
It's has a clarity and depth into the music
With PCM that the pwd did not have.
It has what some have coined and analog sound.
To hear it is to want it and only it with PCM.
It gives us details with PCM that only seemed harsh
But there is details there never heard before
Al

Jun 19, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #81 of 265
Side by side. As I have a PWT and converted it to a pwd mkii
For the direct comparison. Hearing them side by side is not good to do as it shows all the bad and all the real in DS.
IT is why I never liked the pwd mkii.
Not kidding. You can buy the pwd cheap
And get an upgrade.
Al

Jun 22, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #82 of 265
I don't really understand the DSD hype. I downloaded a bunch of demonstration DSD's, 200-300MB each, and played them converted to 192/24. I understand that converted to PCM defies the purpose of DSD, however, through my top end gear I found that the DSD recording was not even all that high end at all. It was very mastered and bland. They were supposed to demonstrate the qualities of DSD, but I can't imagine those recordings to fit that bill. Anyone have better demonstration samples?

Jun 22, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #83 of 265
Dsd is not hype it's a fact. Now if your system is not very transparent it will not be worth it. An example is playing hinrez on you phone or car. The level,of transparency is not good enough to hear it. Also be careful where you get your music.
Some site are just rip offs.
Acoustic sounds , blue note and few others are very good examples of how good it is. Also opus 3
Pose the question where to get the good dsd and check them out. Going from 24/192 to dsd 64 is obvious and going to dsd 128 is as well. However a good dac can get you close to dsd sound on PCM.
Al

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #84 of 265
Dsd is not hype it's a fact. Now if your system is not very transparent it will not be worth it. An example is playing hinrez on you phone or car. The level,of transparency is not good enough to hear it. Also be careful where you get your music.
Some site are just rip offs.
Acoustic sounds , blue note and few others are very good examples of how good it is. Also opus 3
Pose the question where to get the good dsd and check them out. Going from 24/192 to dsd 64 is obvious and going to dsd 128 is as well. However a good dac can get you close to dsd sound on PCM.
Al

Well like I said, my PCM gear is absolute top end. So the DSD converted to PCM was very disappointing to me. But it was very obvious to me that the conversion was not the reason, but the music recording itself was just not fit to represent any kind of music format, but MP3 256kbps. I'll check out those sources you mentioned, but I doubt DSD can sound any better than my current PCM dac..

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #85 of 265
No it can. Even though dsd has a detail sound of it's own any music from dsd down sampled to PCM is better than straight PCM. At least if it's real dsd to begin with.
Go to opis3 download the dsd no 3. Buy it in dsd 128. It is a fantastic recording from an analog master tape. . Also blue coast records is very good as well. There you can find pure dsd 128 as it is recorded as such. Convert this to PCM and hear the improvement. But understand this great PCM is just that great. A very good example of great red book is on a Pablo label. Count Basie Kansas City shout. It's as good as it gets in red book PCM. PM me with the links as so I can confirm them. Use dbpaweramp to convert . Or jriver on the fly as well.
Al

Jun 28, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #87 of 265
It's very good. I own one. It's way above a Hugo and most other dacs .
Al

Jun 28, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #89 of 265
Both ways. Actually but the preamp is passive anyway
Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back