Prove to me that I shouldn't buy the Keces DA-151 Mk2
Mar 12, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #16 of 29
Specs-wise the Compass actually looks pretty decent, my utter hatred of DAC+Amp units notwithstanding. I also think that MOST of the "Compass users" don't own any decent equipment for comparison so their opinion on the subject is not very reliable.

If you think anybody needs to prove to you that you shouldn't buy a Keces DA-151, you really shouldn't buy it. I can't stand indecision, you want it, buy it, have doubts, don't buy it, look for something else - is it really that hard to just make up your mind!?

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalGeek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...you mean this?

Sure, that should work!
wink.gif

Or just ignore our attempts to get you off buying the DA-151 Mk2...

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you think anybody needs to prove to you that you shouldn't buy a Keces DA-151, you really shouldn't buy it. I can't stand indecision, you want it, buy it, have doubts, don't buy it, look for something else - is it really that hard to just make up your mind!?

I'm mostly being silly with that exact choice of wording. I was hoping that it would be a catchy title for my thread to increase views.
wink.gif
I find that if there's no actual good information available, a good laugh is worth the effort!

Mostly, I'm trying to figure out whether or not the Keces actually is worth spending the extra ~$150 on, because it's the one I really want. A little part of me is still trying to convince myself to go with the more economically responsible Fubar II. I was hoping that I could at least get a little feedback from others who may have heard both options, as well as get a couple questions answered in the process.

Basically, if nobody can prove to me that the Keces isn't worth the money, it would help me feel better about my decision to get it. As of today, it looks like I'll be getting the Keces DAC within the next week or so, depending on my impressions of the Little Dot I+ once I finally get an opportunity to listen to it (the tubes are here, but the amp is not
frown.gif
). I'm 99% certain that I'll love the LDI+, and that I'll want to upgrade with a nice DAC.

Do I make sense?

Mar 12, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #19 of 29
I went through the same thing a few months ago. I kept reading every thread about DAC's and debating whether the Keces was worth it. I ended up getting the 131.1 and haven't regretted it at all, except for wishing I had known the Mk II was going to be coming out so soon after my purchase.

Mar 13, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #20 of 29
Hey MetalGeek,

I am now listening to BYOB by SOAD and it is really nice!!!! I think you know that I have the exact same set up. ( Keces 151MKII and LD I+) coming out of my IBM lap top. It sounds really really really sweet! I also tested out Fubar II it's also a nice little DAC. It's about 40% the size of the Keces. But when it comes to sound quality,.. the 151 has more resolution.... at least to my ears. I tested both DACs with SOAD's Mesmerize and Toxicity. (By now you can guess that I am a big fan of SOAD!) and the KECES sounds better better as I am constantly discovering new details from my collections. If you have the 325i I suggest you to get the Keces for your peace of mind!

Mar 15, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #21 of 29
Well, I currently have a purchase in progress for the Keces DA-151 Mk2.

Hopefully this will satisfy my upgraditis for a while.
tongue.gif

Mar 15, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #22 of 29
^ Sad to hear!
Guess our attempt to get you off buying one was not successful! Oh well!
frown.gif

Mar 15, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guess our attempt to get you off buying one was not successful! Oh well!
frown.gif

I appreciate the effort though.
beerchug.gif

Mar 16, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #24 of 29
I think that it's a bold statement to stay that most compass users don't have any decent equipment. Good thing compass users are too busy thinking about the compass to make a good argument.

Quote:

Specs-wise the Compass actually looks pretty decent, my utter hatred of DAC+Amp units notwithstanding. I also think that MOST of the "Compass users" don't own any decent equipment for comparison so their opinion on the subject is not very reliable.

Mar 17, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by driftingbunnies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that it's a bold statement to stay that most compass users don't have any decent equipment. Good thing compass users are too busy thinking about the compass to make a good argument.

BATTLE ROYALE!
popcorn.gif

Mar 17, 2009 at 9:55 AM Post #26 of 29
all this talk about the Fubar II vs the Keces 151 and not one person mentioned the Spitfire?

Hmmmmm . . . I was thinking of buying the Spitfire in the future . . .

Mar 17, 2009 at 10:13 AM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by driftingbunnies /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, I'm never one for subtleties. If they had any decent equipment, they wouldn't be buying the Compass.
wink.gif

My statement was similar to - well, there aren't likely many Honda Civic drivers who have any Porsche cars.
wink.gif
The Compass looks quite nice on paper, especially at that price range, but it IS a low/mid range DAC+Headphone amp that just happens to be very nicely designed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalGeek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BATTLE ROYALE!
popcorn.gif

It's ON!

Mar 17, 2009 at 10:35 AM Post #28 of 29
The only reson to not get one, is to get a much more expensive DAC
wink.gif

What you really want is something like this, the 55.000,-$ Audio note DAC5 signature dac
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2009 at 11:05 AM Post #29 of 29
KECES makes quality products. Ok, I only own original KECES DA-131 with upgraded opamps, but it is a fantastic DAC and if DA151 is anything like it, then you shouldnt be dissapointed. But there are other DACs too in same price range. If they are better or worse than KECES, I have no idea. But if you intent to upgrade your system and you are considering getting KECES, I see no reason why you shouldnt buy it unless someone comes and insisnts that brand/model-X DAC is clearly better for same money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back