Prove to me that I shouldn't buy the Keces DA-151 Mk2
Mar 9, 2009 at 11:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

MetalGeek

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a USB DAC that is known to be compatible with Linux to go with my brand new Little Dot I+ amp that's on the way (and really needs to hurry up, btw!). I'll mostly be using my SR325is with this setup, although I'll probably end up using my SR225 and HD595 with it as well (if that even really matters).

I checked out this thread and looked at all of the options around my price range (< $300 USD), but I'm still not entirely sure where to go from here.

I'm currently using an iBasso D2-Viper (DAC + amp), but I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to use it as the DAC for this setup because of the extra amplification added to the system. Any thoughts on this?

The DAC I see most widely recommended for somebody in my situation is the Keces DA-151 Mk2, but with shipping it will come out to just over $300. I like what I hear about this DAC, but I'm wondering if there's a decent option that's a bit cheaper. I was also looking at the Fubar II, which also uses the PCM2702 chip, but is about half the price of the Keces 151 (including shipping). I also like the size of the Fubar II, although size isn't ridiculously important; I'd be able to work with the size of the Keces without a problem.

Would anybody be able to compare the D2's DAC to either or both of these? Is the Fubar DAC better than the DAC in the D2-Viper? Do you have any other suggestions or options that I may have overlooked?

Also, I think I remember reading something about the Fubar not needing the power cable...is this also true for the Keces?

I guess to sum it up...the Keces 151 is way out in the lead, and I'm asking you to prove to me that I shouldn't spend the money on it!

...as if that's a realistic expectation around here...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 9, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #2 of 29
I only had the iBasso D2 Boa, so I can only compare that to the DA151(old version).

Simply put, there is no comparison between these two. The Boa was bright and lean in contrast to the DA151. There was an improvement in every aspects especially the "slam" part. The DA151 certainly adds some more slam on every note.

Mar 10, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #3 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I only had the iBasso D2 Boa, so I can only compare that to the DA151(old version).

Simply put, there is no comparison between these two. The Boa was bright and lean in contrast to the DA151. There was an improvement in every aspects especially the "slam" part. The DA151 certainly adds some more slam on every note.

I love slam...LOVE IT.

You're failing miserably at talking me out of the DA151!
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #4 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalGeek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love slam...LOVE IT.

You're failing miserably at talking me out of the DA151!
biggrin.gif

YOU KNOW YOU WANT IT!
wink.gif

Mar 10, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #6 of 29
you're lost already... when you ask people to talk you out of it, it's too late
wink.gif

Mar 10, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you're lost already... when you ask people to talk you out of it, it's too late
wink.gif

I want to at least make it look like I'm putting forth the effort to save some cash!

But honestly, I really am about 60-40 split between the Keces and the Fubar (Keces in the lead). I just want to know if the Keces is really worth the extra $150 or so.

Mar 10, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalGeek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to at least make it look like I'm putting forth the effort to save some cash!

But honestly, I really am about 60-40 split between the Keces and the Fubar (Keces in the lead). I just want to know if the Keces is really worth the extra $150 or so.

I don't have the D2, but I have both a D3 and the Keces 151 mkII and I certainly would pay the extra $150 for the Keces, if there was a price difference.

Mar 10, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #9 of 29
uuuuhh.... They don't have enough pretty lights???

Mar 11, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
uuuuhh.... They don't have enough pretty lights???

That's the best argument I've heard so far. Nice work!

Mar 11, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #11 of 29
What's wrong with making the decision on your own?
wink.gif

Without us trying to talk you out of it...

Anyway, skip this intermediate DAC and go straight to the top. No more upgradeitis! he he

Mar 11, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #12 of 29
The only reason not to is if you have a decent quality optical or digital coax line-out to work with, in which case you should be looking at the keces 131.1 instead
L3000.gif

Mar 11, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's wrong with making the decision on your own?
wink.gif

Without us trying to talk you out of it...

Because I'm not strong enough to do it on my own! I need the assistance of my support group! I think my logic here is highly flawed...

Quote:

Originally Posted by skeptic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only reason not to is if you have a decent quality optical or digital coax line-out to work with, in which case you should be looking at the keces 131.1 instead
L3000.gif

Nope, I need the USB...that is, unless I go buy myself a new laptop with optical out...

NO! STOP FEEDING MY HEAD WITH THESE TERRIBLE THOUGHTS!

I'm about this close to caving in: |<------>| (not to scale)

...I should've figured that nobody here would be able to help me...

evil_smiley.gif

Mar 11, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway, skip this intermediate DAC and go straight to the top. No more upgradeitis! he he

...you mean this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif

GTE Trinity DAC $64,700-69,220 Link

eek.gif

Yet another point for the Keces.

Score
Keces DA-151 Mk2: 5*
Fubar II: 0
No DAC: -42
*It would have six points if it had more pretty lights

Mar 12, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #15 of 29
Have you considered Audio-gd's Compass. I'm sure all the Compass users can fill you in on the details.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back