Proud new Rotel RCD-855 owner...
Feb 26, 2006 at 6:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

fewtch

Headphoneus Supremus
Wow, what a day this has been so far...
orphsmile.gif
Earlier this morning, I saw a listing on Audiogon for a Rotel RCD-855 (sans remote) for $105. I happened to have an extra $100 burning a hole in my wallet, and the seller lives in Seattle, so guess what... two hours after contacting the seller, I'm listening to some sweet music on the Rotel!

My god, these things are built like tanks. And so far I must say that this classic model 1989 CDP is stomping my Toshiba SD-3980 DVD player into the ground. The seller told me that these players use Blackgates and other high end parts... anyone know if this is true or not? They definitely do something right, because I'm hearing an analog-like top end with mighty powerful bass and warm, inviting mids against a much blacker background than I was getting from the Toshiba. Possibly a bit less ultimate resolution from the DAC, but not much. Not to mention this is a "real" CD player, not a cheap DVD player.

Woohoo!
580smile.gif
580smile.gif
580smile.gif
Now to find some sort of online manual and get a universal remote, and I will be all set.

Feb 26, 2006 at 8:35 PM Post #2 of 37
Congatulations, that is one fine vintage CD Player. I really regret selling mine. So it missses the last ounce of resolution, big deal, I kick myself for parting with mine. The 855 is also as quiet as the grave in operation. Much quieter than current Rotels anyway or any other CD player I have owned. You can use a Philips remote with it - that is what I did and probably any universal will work.

Enjoy !

http://www.rotel.com/support/pdfs/manuals/rcd855.pdf

Feb 26, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #3 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77
Congatulations, that is one fine vintage CD Player. I really regret selling mine. So it missses the last ounce of resolution, big deal,

Exactly... it's not as resolved as my Toshiba SD-3980 DVD player, but so much more musical and refined it's not even funny. It instantly draws me into the music, where the Toshiba's nice resolution just has me saying "gee, that has nice resolution."
rolleyes.gif

Has a digital out too, which might come in handy in the future... I'll give the Rotel a month and if there are no problems I'm letting the Toshiba DVD player go up FS.

BTW, not to invoke jealousy, but there's really not a single scratch on this player... easily a 9.5/10.
Quote:

I kick myself for parting with mine.

Why not pick up another? I'm sure they go up FS fairly often, as I've heard they were extremely popular back in the day (genuine classic). Or grab a 955AX.

Quote:

The 855 is also as quiet as the grave in operation. Much quieter than current Rotels anyway or any other CD player I have owned. You can use a Philips remote with it - that is what I did and probably any universal will work.

Enjoy !

http://www.rotel.com/support/pdfs/manuals/rcd855.pdf

Thanks much for the link!

I tried an RCA universal remote today (good one too) and for the life of me couldn't find the right code. Any help you could give me in this area would be mucho appreciated, I'm pretty lost.

There's a replacement remote available online for the RCD-855, but it's $75!
eek.gif
Would like to avoid that if at all possible. Hope somebody can help me with a specific model of universal remote, and the proper code for it... should be the same code as the RCD-955AX btw.

Feb 26, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #4 of 37
I had an RCD-950 a while back, and I really regret selling it - it really was an amazingly musical, non-fatiguing source. As others have noted, it wasn't the most resolving thing - but damn was it entertaining. Several of the vintage Rotel models are real treasures.

Happy listening!

Feb 26, 2006 at 10:34 PM Post #5 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by noiseunit
I had an RCD-950 a while back, and I really regret selling it - it really was an amazingly musical, non-fatiguing source. As others have noted, it wasn't the most resolving thing - but damn was it entertaining.

Seems like everyone who's had one regrets selling it
tongue.gif

My ears are in heaven right now... what an excellent day this has been
smily_headphones1.gif
. By far the best $105 I've ever spent on any audio gear, and it was just a sudden whim when I saw the player up on Audiogon. Goes to show that following one's intuition leads to bliss.

Feb 26, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #6 of 37
Pics?
eggosmile.gif

Feb 26, 2006 at 10:46 PM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Pics?
eggosmile.gif

Definitely second that! For the past year, I have been involved in a desperate hunt for a Rotel RDD-980/RDP-980 combo [dedicated transport and DAC].

Not to suggest that I am not immensely enjoying my current Rotel RCD-02!
eggosmile.gif

Feb 26, 2006 at 10:49 PM Post #8 of 37
ROTEL1.jpg

Big player... the beyers are dwarfed!
tongue.gif

ROTEL2.jpg

Closeup of front panel (that's not a scratch, just some sort of flash artifact)

Feb 26, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #9 of 37
That was fast. Congrats on a great, great purchase.

Slightly off-topic, though - can you post a couple of pics and impressions of your Outlaw PCA interconnects? I was thinking about picking up a pair.

Feb 26, 2006 at 10:56 PM Post #10 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by InSides
That was fast. Congrats on a great, great purchase.

Thanks... what makes it especially great (to me) is this level of sound for a mere $105. I no longer buy what certain people say about how vintage CDPs are worthless due to advancements, blah blah. Obviously false and a bunch of nonsense, since my ears are hearing some very good sound.

Not that advancements haven't added anything, but the part about older CDPs sounding crappy and being worthless is clearly untrue.

Quote:

Slightly off-topic, though - can you post a couple of pics and impressions of your Outlaw PCA interconnects? I was thinking about picking up a pair.

I don't have much to compare with the Outlaws except some Radioshack Gold Series cables. However, it's obvious from the sound that they're quite good sounding interconnects. Very smooth and resolving (to my ears), good budget ICs. Definitely on the thicker/bulkier side though, at least from what I'm used to.

Feb 26, 2006 at 11:20 PM Post #11 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Thanks... what makes it this great (to me) is this level of sound for a mere $105. I no longer buy what certain people say about how vintage CDPs are worthless due to advancements, blah blah. Obviously false and a bunch of nonsense, since my ears are hearing some very good sound.

Not that advancements haven't added anything, but the part about older CDPs sounding crappy and being worthless is clearly untrue.

I can certainly relate. That was what I felt when I had the oportunity to audiotion the aforementioned RDD-980/RDP-980 combo. If I could only coerce the owner into selling it to me.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
I don't have much to compare with the Outlaws except some Radioshack Gold Series cables. However, it's obvious from the sound that they're quite good sounding interconnects. Very smooth and resolving (to my ears), good budget ICs. Definitely on the thicker/bulkier side though, at least from what I'm used to.

The price is certainly right. I would appreciate a photo or two, since the Outlaw Audio site does lack images regarding the PCA line.

Feb 26, 2006 at 11:32 PM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by InSides
The price is certainly right. I would appreciate a photo or two, since the Outlaw Audio site does lack images regarding the PCA line.

Well, with the understanding that my digital camera is a crappy old Olympus D-340R... I'll take a few pics in a while. At the moment they're hooked up to the CDP/amp, and my ears are busy enjoying
wink.gif

In fact, drop me a PM as a reminder and I'll get 'em to you that way.

Feb 26, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #13 of 37
fewtch, does the rotel have a headphone jack anywhere, or do you have to go rca -> amp -> cans?

Feb 26, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #14 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by binkgle
fewtch, does the rotel have a headphone jack anywhere, or do you have to go rca -> amp -> cans?

Yep, amp needed (or external DAC, it has a coaxial digital out).

Feb 26, 2006 at 11:55 PM Post #15 of 37
I can't tear myself away from the music... this player rules. There's no higher compliment in my book when I have to use the restroom and can't put down the headphones long enough to do the business.
orphsmile.gif

What am I gonna do when the Olympics closing ceremonies start at 7:00 tonight... maybe I'll listen to music and just watch the picture on the TV set
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back