Proton 100 FM Receiver
Jun 21, 2004 at 12:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Pappucho

1000+ Head-Fier
Quite possibly the best portable radio ever, the Proton 100 made a brief appearance on ebay recently. I thought I had it until two snipers jumped in in the last 12 seconds.
confused.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...gename=rvi:1:3

This is the first one I've seen pop up on ebay in the last year, very rare indeed.

Jun 21, 2004 at 2:58 AM Post #2 of 3
How bittersweet. I haven't even seen a photo of one since the early 80s. I wish I could remember what happened to mine. I don't know if I would pay $180 for it though. I mean it may be the best sounding walkman radio of all time, but it didn't sound that good. IIRC, even my Sony D-10 PCDP blew it away in terms of sound quality. So let's keep things in perspective here.

But still I would LOVE to have one of those again. It was my old companion. Just seeing it again brings back all kinds of memories. I so wish I could listen to one again, just for a little while. I do wish you had won it, Pappucho. I would have loved to see a review of it here. I haven't heard one for like 20 years. It would be interesting to see how it stacks up against more modern stuff and some PCDPs. I can't believe he even has the user manual!

Jun 21, 2004 at 3:51 AM Post #3 of 3
Yeah, I would've enjoyed comparing it to some of the other radios I have and post some impressions here. I have been looking for one of these ever since our last "radio" thread where it's existence came to my attention. I hadn't seen one on ebay until now and I misjudged the desire of other collectors to own one of these. One of the two bidders that outbid me is a real collector and has a site for his passion at www.stere2go.com and www.pocketcalculatorshow.com. Both of these are must read sites for anyone getting into this type of collecting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back