Proposed System overhaul
Jul 12, 2008 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ComfyCan

500+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking of upgrading my front end to get more out of my GS-1000's (w/stock cable). After a bit of research I'm leaning toward a Cambridge Audio 840c (Redbook CD player/DAC) and a Woo Audio 6 tube amp (maxed). I like the 840 because I can use it to play my redbook CD's (obviously) and can also use it to handle the D/A conversion for computer audio (via M-Audio Transit>optical).

I won't have the opportunity to test drive this rig before purchasing, so input/opinions from anyone who has experience with these components is welcome.

Does this sound like a system with good synergy for the price? Are their better alternatives that will serve my needs in the same price range?

Thanks for any comments. I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the Dedicated Component forum.

Jul 13, 2008 at 8:29 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ComfyCan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking of upgrading my front end to get more out of my GS-1000's (w/stock cable). After a bit of research I'm leaning toward a Cambridge Audio 840c (Redbook CD player/DAC) and a Woo Audio 6 tube amp (maxed). I like the 840 because I can use it to play my redbook CD's (obviously) and can also use it to handle the D/A conversion for computer audio (via M-Audio Transit>optical).

I won't have the opportunity to test drive this rig before purchasing, so input/opinions from anyone who has experience with these components is welcome.

Does this sound like a system with good synergy for the price? Are their better alternatives that will serve my needs in the same price range?

Thanks for any comments. I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the Dedicated Component forum.

Probably not.

The rega apollo and the cambridge azur 840c are one of the best in the field in that pricerange...synergy with that amp, i dunno, you're the only one that can hear and decide on that. You can tweak a bit with powercables and IC,'s.

Good luck.

Jul 13, 2008 at 10:47 AM Post #3 of 11
I've heard the rega apollo and it is, IMO, the best cd player in that price range. Actually that cd player IS my next purchase. Combining it with a tube amp should be a good idea because it has a neutral to slightly bright sound signature.

Jul 15, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #4 of 11
Thank you for your replies.

Jul 15, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #5 of 11
I'd personally spend the cdp money on DAC and hard drive, and spend a couple of weeks of spare time transfering all cds to hard drive. There is no transport, at any price, that is as stable as no moving parts. RAM wins.

Tim

Jul 15, 2008 at 12:47 PM Post #6 of 11
I've heard the 840 but I think it's a bit analytical and dry, but I know a lot of people including reviewers swear by it. The Benchmark DAC1 also give a lot flexibility and has tons of great reviews too; except no transport.

Jul 16, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #7 of 11
Thank you all again for your replies; I do appreciate it.

Further research has me leaning in favor of the Benchmark DAC1 USB (or Bechmark Pre), and the Woo Audio 6SE. I still like the looks of the Cambridge Audio Azur 840c for it's merits as a DAC first, and a transport second. However, the truth is that I don't absolutely need a new transport--my Denon does the job when I feel the urge to spin an actual disc. Most of my listening is via computer. Anyway, I lack the funds to buy both a new DAC and the Woo amp at once, so I must prioritize.

I'm assuming I'll see more improvement in my listening experience if I buy the amp first, and continue to use my 2006 Headroom MicroDac for D/A conversion. Does anyone disagree?

Thanks much.
cool.gif

Jul 17, 2008 at 12:13 PM Post #9 of 11
I agree that you can skip the transport and use your computer as a primary source. The Benchmark DAC is highly regarded on these forums; I would not know as I have not heard it. I use an inexpesive DAC which works fine for me.

The Woo WA6 SE is a lovely amp. If you go that route, skip the $450 of upgrades, spend $150 on a Sophia Princess 274B rectifier tube, and use the rest to buy music, buy a Logitech Duet (so you can stream music anywhere you wish to sit) or paint a room in your house. I understand that tube will provide a more noticable change than the other doo-dads.

Jul 17, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard the 840 but I think it's a bit analytical and dry, but I know a lot of people including reviewers swear by it. The Benchmark DAC1 also give a lot flexibility and has tons of great reviews too; except no transport.

Tube amp! There is no better amp then a tube amp to personalize your taste! Put in your favourite tubes and you're set.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Jul 20, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #11 of 11
Well, after driving myself nuts trying to figure out what to do I finally ordered something. I decided on the Grace m902 DAC/amp: m902 reference headphone amplifier . It's primarily for my office rig, and looks like a nice practical solution with great reviews by GS-1000 owners. Plus, I don't have to wait for somebody to build it--I'll have it in a few days.
cool.gif
(I've never been real good at delayed gratification).

I'm still going to get a nice tube amp one of these days, but not this time around.

I'll be sure to post impressions when it comes in.

I will also have an RA-1 for sale.

Thanks again for the imput and suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back