proper wire for computer speakers
Nov 26, 2008 at 11:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

skylaiden

New Head-Fier
hi,

my speakers sound great with the 2 foot wire they came with, but when i try the longer 5 foot wire (also came with it), it sounds worse. it's a tad more distorted and output is lower. i need more length (that's what she said) since i'm switching to a desktop setup. what wire should i get?

the 2 foot wire is male to male 1/8", gold jacks. the 5 foot wire, well, not gold... that's all i know.

thanks in advance

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #5 of 9
Most production PC speaker will come with low quality cables and speaker wire to keep costs down. replace all of the included cables with wiring of higher quality.

Nov 27, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #7 of 9
Radio shack sells speaker wire with RCA's - i'd look at that.

IIRC doesn't the left channel on the T20 have a hardwired cable?

(RTFP)

Oh, you mean the cable from the source to the speakers. Just any old 1/8" to 1/8" will do. Look for "ipod connector" or the like, as thats how many of them are sold now - amazon had some phoenix gold 1/8 to 1/8 interconnects for ~$5 for 3 foot $10 for 6.

Radio shack probably has a belkin or monster cable that will do, they'll want to charge you $20 though.

Nov 29, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpha 1 Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why go to ratshack when you can get the same at monoprice.com or partsexpress.com for a better price???

Because ratshack can give you the cables now, obviously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back