Proper way to burn in
Jul 24, 2002 at 11:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

steveh

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I've heard all sorts of different ways of breaking in headphones, such as playing white noise, pink noise or just music. Is one of these ways best, or a combination of them, or is it just a matter of playing any noise for long enough? Thanks in advance for your help.

Stephen

Jul 24, 2002 at 3:43 PM Post #2 of 4
Most people suggest to put some bass heavy music at sligthly higher than normal listening volumes and run them for a few days this way. Becareful to not go overboard with the volume because you can destroy your 'phones.

I personally just listen to them. Maybe if I walk away from my desk for a few hours I'll turn 'em up a bit if I have new headphones, but I don't know if it really makes a difference as opposed to just listening over a period of time.

I have noticed dramatic differences in sound from out of the box to around 25 hours or so with multiple phones so letting them play for a few days before evaluating the sound is a good idea, in my opinion.

Jul 25, 2002 at 1:43 AM Post #3 of 4
I would stay away from the test tones, white/pink noise methods and just play music. My preference is to hook them up to a tuner at moderate volume for a couple days instead of a CD player on repeat.

My reasoning for this, right or wrong, is that it exposes the headphones to a bigger variety of music, voices and frequency extremes than a CD player on repeat. Kind of like how the best way to break in a new engine in your car is to take a drive in the mountains where you are constantly on and off of the throttle and brakes.

Jul 25, 2002 at 4:28 AM Post #4 of 4
Good glaven! Blah! In other words, use the search function because contrary to the odd misconception in many newcomers minds, yes it does exist, and yes you should use it, and yes it works well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back