Proper Tip Fitting: Error on the large side?
Jul 22, 2008 at 1:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Spyro

Headphoneus Supremus
Not sure there is a correct answer to this or it's more personal preference. I will talk in terms of Shure black olives for reference.

I have always used "medium" and found that upon insertion I would go past a certain point and there is a slight sensation of them "popping" INWARDS into place. Luckily, a barb tipped stem (on SE530 for instance) keeps them from sticking into your ears but just today I had the tip get stuck in my ears with my UM2 which doesn't have a barbed tip. Now I am leary of that same insertion technique and wondering if they should even be inserted that far in or I should actually be stopping BEFORE that inward popping point. I briefly tried the "large" tips and found no difference in SQ, they stay secure and, I guess, may be safer staying snug on the outer part of the ear canal versus inner part. Does anyone use large or has gone from medium to large for a reason similar?

Any comments/help? Hopefully I am being clear in my description.

Jul 22, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #2 of 2
I went from M to L in silicon tips but purely because it was easier to hold a seal even if I jumped about a bit or indeed ate a very large apple...I have had medium tips come off, but nothing dangerous.

And I'm a little surprised - large olives are...enormous! But following yr lead, maybe I should try a pr on my ER-4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back