Proper K340 amping (HA-1 MKII or M3)
Mar 3, 2006 at 12:57 PM Post #16 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
You should also consider building an OTL, high gain, no-feedback Earmax clone. It can be done cheap and the one I heard had fantastic synergy with the K340.

And 'on the cheap' is relative. It still cost me about $250 to build mine.

Mar 3, 2006 at 1:03 PM Post #17 of 40
Now that my previous amp project has basically failed, I'm looking at a balanced bamaslama with 6H30's and 6C33's. It is what I should have done originally.
340smile.gif

Mar 3, 2006 at 1:06 PM Post #18 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Now that my previous amp project has basically failed, I'm looking at a balanced bamaslama with 6H30's and 6C33's. It is what I should have done originally.
340smile.gif

What happened with that?

Mar 3, 2006 at 1:10 PM Post #19 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20
What happened with that?

Well, I have a couple things I'm going to try this weekend, but if they don't work that is it. Basically after speaking with a few people it is extremely doubtful that this design with the 6H30 tubes is going to produce proper amounts of voltage swing or current. On the upside I gained some proficiency in DIY and am no longer scared of my soldering iron so it should make the bamaslama build easier. Hopefully i can use some of the parts from my first amp in the bamaslama to help recoup some of the cost.
wink.gif

Mar 3, 2006 at 2:58 PM Post #20 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Well, I have a couple things I'm going to try this weekend, but if they don't work that is it. Basically after speaking with a few people it is extremely doubtful that this design with the 6H30 tubes is going to produce proper amounts of voltage swing or current. On the upside I gained some proficiency in DIY and am no longer scared of my soldering iron so it should make the bamaslama build easier. Hopefully i can use some of the parts from my first amp in the bamaslama to help recoup some of the cost.
wink.gif

I'd be very interested to see some schematics/pictures if you ever want to release them.

Mar 3, 2006 at 3:06 PM Post #21 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20
I'd be very interested to see some schematics/pictures if you ever want to release them.

For the original amp or the bamaslama?

I will probably be starting up a post in the DIY forum here about the original amp to see if anyone has suggestions. It was designed by someone else and the designer doesn't want the schematic shown, but really the only innovative thing about the amp is the current source. I am not even using the current source right now as I had issues with it, so I could post the schematic with a resistor in place of the CCS [as it is set up now].

Mar 3, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #22 of 40
I haven't looked too much into the Bamaslama, how complicated/expensive of a build is it? Should I get some more experience with the M3 before attempting that (if I choose to, that is)?

Mar 4, 2006 at 12:48 AM Post #23 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by a1rocketpilot
I haven't looked too much into the Bamaslama, how complicated/expensive of a build is it? Should I get some more experience with the M3 before attempting that (if I choose to, that is)?

It is in my humble opinion, that you might want to try a few tube designs before jumping right into a fairly complex tube build.

Mar 4, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #24 of 40
Bamaslama is a very expensive build.

Mar 4, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #26 of 40
I owned the K340 for a little over 3 years, and sold them because I paired them with the wrong amp during a churning fit. I've missed them ever since.

I think that one of the better pairings I've heard with them was a X-Cans V2 paired with an X-PSU. I REALLY liked the Meier PreHead...I had them paired for about 60 days, and I've never yet heard anything that sounded quite so good with them.

The K340 benefits IMHO from an amp that is either a touch on the bright side (the former), or at the very least, very highly powered (the latter). They are VERY power hungry, and the more you feed them, the better they sound.

Hope this helps....

Mar 4, 2006 at 2:06 AM Post #27 of 40
Just wanted to add that the Corda HA-1 MKII is actually discontinued. A successor is probably in the making.

Mar 4, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #28 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
Just wanted to add that the Corda HA-1 MKII is actually discontinued. A successor is probably in the making.

It is discontinued, but Dr. Meier has a few leftover PCBs that he is giving out for free (!!). Check the Members of the Trade forum for details.

Mar 4, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #29 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by a1rocketpilot
It is discontinued, but Dr. Meier has a few leftover PCBs that he is giving out for free (!!). Check the Members of the Trade forum for details.

Are you still going to build one if you get a PCB? If I got a PCB I will most likely. Then I would be able to answer the thread title
lambda.gif

Mar 4, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #30 of 40
I'm getting the PCB anyways, so I will eventually build it, but most likely after I finish the M3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back