"Proper" Dirac Impulse Wave File for Convolving?
Feb 28, 2005 at 8:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Zoide

Headphoneus Supremus
Does anyone have a well-made, "proper" dirac impulse file that could be used for applying filters on it and then convolving?

Thanks.

Andrés

Feb 28, 2005 at 5:03 PM Post #3 of 6
I just want to apply an EQ filter to an impulse (one which originally changes nothing in the sound) so that when I convolve the EQ'd impulse in Foobar it equalizes the music.

Feb 28, 2005 at 5:16 PM Post #4 of 6
Do you mean you want to play an impulse through your system, record the output, and then use the inverse of that as an FIR fitler in order to cancel out the effects of your playback chain?

Applying a filter to a single impulse, results in the original filter, completely unmodified (ie, convolving a constant value)

Do you have a way to calculate filters and make the necessary recordings? Or maybe I just don't fully understand. . .

Feb 28, 2005 at 5:56 PM Post #5 of 6
If you mean a .wav file with the first sample at full volume and the rest at 0, then here's one:

dirac_impulse_44100_stereo_8820_samples.wav

It's a 0.2 sec stereo wav file (8820 samples at 44100 kHz).

Doesn't seem to do anything in the foobar convolver so I suppose it works
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2005 at 12:25 AM Post #6 of 6
zum: Thanks! I think that's just what I needed.

jefemeister: What I intend to do is get an impulse that does nothing when used in the foobar convolver (like the one zum posted), and then apply filters on it on Adobe Audition, so that when convolving the modified impulse file I get the filters applied to whatever I play on foobar. (ie. if I do EQ on the original impulse to raise the bass, that'll raise the bass on my music when I convolve with that file in foobar)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back