Proof that SACD *might* win....
Jul 18, 2002 at 9:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Czilla9000

10 Year Member. Still no custom title.
I used to think that SACD would lose to DVD-A. It seemed to match what has happened in history before.

But I now have new hope...

Over at Circuit City.com (which at the time of writing is undergoing maintainence) when you click on the "Home Audio" tab there is a "Super Audio CD Player" section. It used to be the SACD players were just mixed in with the "CD Player" and "DVD Player" section. Not anymore.

However, there is no "DVD-Audio" section. They are still mixed in with the DVD players and CD Players.

Circuit City must be seeing more demand for SACD players than DVD-Audio players, if they were to create there own section for SACD but not DVD-A.

Small change. Big implecations.

Jul 18, 2002 at 12:34 PM Post #2 of 8
One word: Divx.

'nuff said?

Jul 18, 2002 at 12:39 PM Post #3 of 8
No
confused.gif

Why did Czilla say that history would predict that SACD lose to DVD-A?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 18, 2002 at 1:36 PM Post #4 of 8
Nezer took the word right out of my mouth.

I believe what he meant by history is that historically in America, the lesser format has had a tendency to win.

VHS beat Beta
VHS beat Laserdisc
QWERTY beat DVORAK
MicroSoft beat ...everything...

Jul 18, 2002 at 4:12 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
Nezer took the word right out of my mouth.

I believe what he meant by history is that historically in America, the lesser format has had a tendency to win.

VHS beat Beta
VHS beat Laserdisc
QWERTY beat DVORAK
MicroSoft beat ...everything...

Except in the case of Divx where DVD was clearly the better format for consumers. I was glad to see it die.

Becasue of Circuit City's actions throught that mess (due to thier stake in that claim) I tend to not go along with anything CC does in terms of technology. CC is more motivated by cashing-in for a quick buck than growing the consumer electronic pie by pushing the truly better format.

If they are pushing SACD it's because there are back-room deals being made and *not* because it's the better format (even though it may very well be).

Jul 18, 2002 at 4:54 PM Post #6 of 8
I'd like to make the world black and white and call Circuit City "the evil ones" in a George W. type manner, but that's not really the way I see it.

Circuit City may be controlled by people who made poor decisions regarding divx, but even if their motivations are prioritized such that they would push a bad product over a good one for immediate profit, this doesn't mean that they don't have any concern at all for the greater market--just a lower priority. (And yes, I do believe fully that anyone who pushed Divx at all did so with selfish motivation and full knowledge and malice toward the marketplace on the whole--I feel this way toward even the manufacturers and publishers who made the hardware and software for it. I can go into that at length but this thread is the wrong place for that.)

Regardless... that Circuit City is now carrying SACD may be good news for the SACD market not because Circuit City is a leader but because they are sometimes a follower. Maybe this is a sign that it's "catching on" with retailers.

Jul 18, 2002 at 10:00 PM Post #7 of 8
I still buy from them (I refuse to shop at Best Buy since they are behind the RIAA's attempts to insert copy protection) I just don't listen to a damned thing they say.

I go in, get what I need, and get out. They have decent prices for the most part and don't push the 'extended warranty' as much as Best Buy does.

It's too bad companies like BB and CC came into being and shoved the ma & pop stores out of the way. It's the mass marketing and white urbanization of America. What's worse is this attitude is spreading to other parts of the world now.

My birthday is next month and I'm considering getting an SACD player and a few discs. Though I doubt my sell will allow the format to succeed in the long run.

Personally I think the hardware manufactures (who often either own or have close ties to the software makers) are shoving this onto audiophiles (the only ones intrested in it) to cover the losses they would have otherwise seen at the formats demise. Once the cost of R&D has been met, I really think both formats will die and it will be back to Redbook.

I hope I'm wrong.

Jul 24, 2002 at 7:01 AM Post #8 of 8
i'm still not convinced that sacd is going to win out over dvd-audio even though i own a sony 222es sacd player. at tower records they have the sacd and dvd-audio discs right next to eachother and i find that the dvd-audio selection has more stuff that i like right now (pop+rock) as opposed to sacd which has mostly jazz and classical. when i heard that the pet sounds album was only coming out on dvd-audio i was nearly beside myself!
frown.gif

i haven't seen many new releases at tower for either sacd or dvdaudio in the store so who knows what's going on. whenever i go to tower or best buy i see the same old junk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back