Pronunciation of Aenima??
Feb 21, 2008 at 11:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

rwest1389

500+ Head-Fier
So how do you pronounce Aenima (album by tool?)

I probably wont change the way I say it (kinda like Grado) but I'm curious

Feb 21, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #2 of 24
A quick 'Google' turned up this:

Quote:

On the pronunciation of Aenima... i have a video of maynard pronouncing it "ahh-neh-mah" not "a-knee-mah"

Feb 22, 2008 at 8:36 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by rwest1389 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So how do you pronounce Aenima (album by tool?)

I probably wont change the way I say it (kinda like Grado) but I'm curious

I do the same for grados
biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #7 of 24
when used in its Old English context the letter Æ (called "ash") is pronounced like the a in cat.

when used in its Latin context, it is pronounced like a long e, as in eel.

as far as i'm aware, Æ is never pronounced "ah." if that's how the band pronounces it, well.. they're using it incorrectly.

Feb 22, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #8 of 24
What about the song Ænema?
eek.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by http://toolshed.down.net/faq/faq.html
G1. "Ænima?" What's that all about?

The Tool tradition of mystery continues with the title for their latest album. The title is reported to be a mix of the words "Anima" (a Jungian term) and "Enema" (you know). It also perhaps pays homage to a book recommended in the band's newsletter called "Ægypt."

G2. How do you pronounce "Ænima?"

As they do with good music, DJs across the country are butchering the pronunciation of this not-quite-a-word. Some of the band have been heard saying "enema"; though I'm told it is pronounced "ON-ima", giving a nod to the two words which comprise this title. This despite the fact that most words beginning "Æn--" should be pronounced "Een--", but they made up the word, so they can have their cake and eat it too, I suppose.

Tyler

Feb 22, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
when used in its Old English context the letter Æ (called "ash") is pronounced like the a in cat.

as far as i'm aware, Æ is never pronounced "ah." if that's how the band pronounces it, well.. they're using it incorrectly.

x2

Mar 1, 2008 at 12:18 PM Post #12 of 24
Hm, never giving this word much of a glance I always thought it was anemia, which is completely wrong.
Also, what's with Grado, isn't it pronounced "Gray-dough" or have U got that completely wrong as well.

Mar 2, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #13 of 24
I always find threads like this amusing because none of the attempts at spelling out pronunciations (like every single poll option) are even the slightest bit useful or unambiguous. I mean they don't actually convey any pronunciation to me whatsoever...Try using IPA or something.

The 'AE' letter's default pronunciation, at least to me, is the frontal 'a' is in the SAE pronunciation of 'cat', 'hat' 'rat', etc.

Nov 13, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #15 of 24
Actually in Latin "æ" is pronounced as "ai" as if you are sliding from a long "a" to a long "e" sound.

In a modern English context, however, it is meant to be pronounced as a long "e" as in "Encyclopædia Britannica"
So whether this is what Tool intended or not, it should be pronounced "eenima."

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back