Prolonged exposure to electomagnetic fields in close proximity to the brain
May 12, 2002 at 9:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

shl821022

New Head-Fier
OK when you where head phones you are exposed to electromagnetic fields near the brain right? And the magnetic field is strong enough to warrant a warning message on some manuals to keep disks and credit cards at a safe distance...

So is there some kinda health hazard associated with the magnetic and electric fields generated from the headphones? Anyone ever heard of the possibility of a health hazard?

(OK if there are any proposed hazards they are probably gonna be dubious or minor but what the hell)

May 12, 2002 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 29
Quote:

the magnetic field is strong enough to warrant a warning message on some manuals to keep disks and credit cards at a safe distance...

Which headphones came with such a warning?

May 12, 2002 at 11:44 PM Post #4 of 29
Have never seen such a warning about headphones, although I think I have seen warnings about keeping floppy disks on the top of computer speakers. Think that you have mixed that up. The magnets in speakes are much stronger than in headphones.
There are lots, lots of warnings about dangers and health risks. I don't mean that you should ignore all these. But if you take them all seriously, you end up avoiding everyting. And eventuelly die because of lack of excersise and boredom.

May 13, 2002 at 12:26 AM Post #5 of 29
quite true, anders! this sort of sounds like the kind of thing you hear on local news: the "10 common household items that can KILL you!" sort of thing. I've been using headphones for quite a long time, and there are people on this board who have been using them their whole lives. we're not dead yet...

May 13, 2002 at 12:31 AM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by Anders
Have never seen such a warning about headphones, although I think I have seen warnings about keeping floppy disks on the top of computer speakers. Think that you have mixed that up. The magnets in speakes are much stronger than in headphones.
There are lots, lots of warnings about dangers and health risks. I don't mean that you should ignore all these. But if you take them all seriously, you end up avoiding everyting. And eventuelly die because of lack of excersise and boredom.

Hmm, I thought I heard from somewhere that headphones also had such warnings about their magnets..

Let's decide firstly whether such a health risk exists and what it is exactly, before deciding whether it should be taken seriously or ignored...

The major motivation being innocent curiosity of course

May 13, 2002 at 1:26 AM Post #8 of 29
I really agree that tinnitus is a risk. The risk decreases with a high resolution system becaue you don't have to crank up the volume to hear details.

shl821022 said:
Quote:

Let's decide firstly whether such a health risk exists and what it is exactly, before deciding whether it should be taken seriously or ignored...

To be safe, you have to wait 10 - 20 years for the result of epidemiological studies.

I have made some measurements in my appartment, not to establish health risks but to monitor electro-magnetic radiation that can have negative sonic effects. You can do that with a cheap tool for about $10. Main results:
Low EMI: Hifi components, computer screen and computer
High EMI: ordinary lamps (both from lamp and power cord), the TV, any stock power cord (even those in the walls)

Why are there no alarm reports on the radiation from ordinary lamps?

I give no garantee, becaue then you may sue me!

May 13, 2002 at 2:10 AM Post #9 of 29
.problem a had never and years for headphones to listening been I've
?anyway deal big the What's

May 13, 2002 at 2:24 AM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

I really agree that tinnitus is a risk. The risk decreases with a high resolution system becaue you don't have to crank up the volume to hear details.

to be safe, you have to wait 10 - 20 years for the result of epidemiological studies.

I have made some measurements in my appartment, not to establish health risks but to monitor electro-magnetic radiation that can have negative sonic effects. You can do that with a cheap tool for about $10. Main results:
Low EMI: Hifi components, computer screen and computer
High EMI: ordinary lamps (both from lamp and power cord), the TV, any stock power cord (even those in the walls)

Why are there no alarm reports on the radiation from ordinary lamps?

I give no garantee, becaue then you may sue me!

As curiousity is the main motivation, even theoretical (as long as the theory is sound and the source is somewhat authoritative) health risks would be of interest in this context without the necessity of cold hard experimental data, like the results of epidemiological studies.. It would definitely be a plus if such data were available though... 10 to 20 years? How long have headphones been around?

You assert that any possible EMI related health risks associated with headphones would be bogus based on EMI measurements you have made.. and probably someone could somehow argue to counter that with weird scientific lingo (EM fields decrease sharply as distance increases and normally you don't have your head planted against a lamp, or something like that?) and likewise another person could counter yet again but that is not the point at this stage because I am not debating the validity of such risks, I just want to be informed of the existence of such risks in published media and what they are...

I am not saying the use of headphones should be banned forever because of possible health risks or anything like that.. That would be a rather radical way of acting on information suggesting potential health risks..

I don't want to act in any manner on the information, I just want to obtain it..

If it's any relief, I would not sue you... (Although that was sarcasm, I did not get the logic that motivated it ... ??)

By the way, what is this $10 tool?

I feel weird defending this thread in such a manner as it's just all out of simple curiosity... (when will someone say "curiosity killed the cat", I was just anticipating that one)

May 13, 2002 at 2:36 AM Post #11 of 29
Perhaps they need to include a warning sticker on headphones.
dangerengrish.jpg

May 13, 2002 at 3:37 AM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

You assert that any possible EMI related health risks associated with headphones would be bogus based on EMI measurements you have made.. and probably someone could somehow argue to counter that with weird scientific lingo (EM fields decrease sharply as distance increases and normally you don't have your head planted against a lamp, or something like that?) and likewise another person could counter yet again but that is not the point at this stage because I am not debating the validity of such risks, I just want to be informed of the existence of such risks in published media and what they are...

No, the risks of EMI are not known entirely. What I wanted to show with my measuement is that components that have often been pointed out as dangerous (new components as computers) often have much lower radiation than old ones, that peoples are used to, such as lamps, powercords going through the whole house, and TV:s.

Head-fi is an interchange of experiences on how to achive good sound in headphone systems. If you want information on the risks you have to go elsewhere. If you can reliably ascertain that headphones are not dangerous, you are welcome back! We have other things to do!

May 13, 2002 at 4:30 AM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

No, the risks of EMI are not known entirely. What I wanted to show with my measuement is that components that have often been pointed out as dangerous (new components as computers) often have much lower radiation than old ones, that peoples are used to, such as lamps, powercords going through the whole house, and TV:s.

I am not really all that familiar with the reasons behind the EMI risk from computer monitors... there was probably a legitimate reason why the risks in computer monitors were emphasized over other EMI sources.. maybe your measurements were not valid? Maybe there is a special condition you were overlooking that causes computer monitor radiation to be more of a threat? Or some other underlying reason... Hell maybe you are completely right, but I would like an authoritative source for the info.

After all It's probably not like a couple of jokesters got together, randomly chose computer monitors, and bogusly spread all this "fear" through the media as a joke for no reason other than to get a few laughs...

But this is all speculation that does not pertain to the topic at hand...

Quote:

Head-fi is an interchange of experiences on how to achive good sound in headphone systems. If you want information on the risks you have to go elsewhere. If you can reliably ascertain that headphones are not dangerous, you are welcome back! We have other things to do!

Probably a good number of posts on the forum would have to be deemed unallowed if that rather strict definition of the forum were enforced...
With all due respect you have no authority to kick me out of this forum and dictate what kinds of questions that I am allowed to post here..

C'mon dude lighten up this is getting too tense ... are you in some kind of "lock-down" mode where you just have to win this untopical "mini-argument" now?
This thread is like completely digressing..

May 13, 2002 at 6:19 AM Post #15 of 29
I'm not sure if I'm remembering this correctly. But EM radiation is everywhere. Computer monitors produce a lot of it, but they are shielded in the front so not a lot of radiation shoots out at you. They follow TCO standards (look at http://www.hwupgrade.com/monitor/index5.html for info). Flying in a plane, standing under high voltage power lines, talking on a cell phone, standing next to a microwave, working in a factory, getting an X-ray or MRI or CAT scan all increase levels of EM radiation received. But I doubt that using headphones will have any harmful effect or produce EM radiation. I don't think headphones put out anywhere near the amount of energy cell phones put out through their antenna. And even then, EM radiation effects are controversial.

I'll just say I'd rather live 10 years shorter, use my headphones, and enjoy my music rather than not take the risk (if it even exists).

What the other guy was trying to say I'm assuming is that if you're looking for scientific answers, you won't find any here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back