Project Sunrise/PS2 Tube Rolling Thread (and maybe even Project Horizon and Project Ember)
Jun 16, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #181 of 412
Quote:
another nice tube is the dutch amperex pq ecc88 with a-frame, dimpled-disc getter ... but alas, mine is gone now.  i'm trying to resist grabbing a 7308 ... got to save my ducats for new phones ...

I was taking a look at the tube you describe but most, if not all, were in China.  Have you ever had success buying tubes from China?  I always figured there was too much chance they were fakes.

Jun 17, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #182 of 412
yes, i noticed that too ... & like you, i'm very leery about tubes & source.  i've never purchased any tubes from china ... amps & dacs, yes but not tubes.  however, from the pix i don't see any obvious indications that these are anything less than authentic (well, there's always a possibility of a re-label).  my guess is that many of these are pulls from scrapped lab gear.

Jun 22, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #183 of 412
geetarman49

Thought I would go ahead and try the dutch amperex pq ecc88 with a-frame, dimpled-disc getter.  Last night I got two hp branded made in Heerland.  Tubes not marked PQ but guys I play golf with were engineers for HP back in the day and they said HP had very high standards for their tubes so I expect these are the same.  It also appears that they fit the description given by Joe (of Joe's Lore) for the RCA tube of the same description.  These things have the sweetest highs I have heard and the bass is really there.  I asked myself a number of times if the highs weren't a little too high but I don't think so.

I have a couple of Orange Globe versions headed my way and should be here on Monday.  They are not a-Frame but do have the dimpled getter. 

Jun 23, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #184 of 412
say, good hunting ...

i'm glad you like them ... a very, very nice tube imo.  both hp & tektronix labelled tubes are amongst the best quality tubes & barring the presence of microphonics, the orange globes should be very good as well.

can you post a pix of the getter arrangement on the orange globes when you receive them?

Jun 23, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #185 of 412
Quote:
say, good hunting ...

i'm glad you like them ... a very, very nice tube imo.  both hp & tektronix labelled tubes are amongst the best quality tubes & barring the presence of microphonics, the orange globes should be very good as well.

can you post a pix of the getter arrangement on the orange globes when you receive them?

I actually received the orange globes yesterday afternoon.  I'll post a picture of the getter...probably later today.

I have done some listening, but it gets rather confusing.  I now have three Amperex types of 6 volt tubes.  They are very similar and on a couple of occasions a tube has sounded somewhat different the second time I listen to it. A change in volume can make a lot of difference especially in the soundstage.  We'll see. 

Jun 23, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #186 of 412
geetarman49, here are the images......I hope

Jun 24, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #187 of 412
hard to see in the pix, but the dimpled disc is supported by a single post?

i wouldn't mind getting one of these myself; i've read that the OG are fuller sounding and not as 'sweet' as the BB but i've never had a chance to test them side by side.

btw, thnx for the pix.

Jun 24, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #188 of 412
Quote:

i wouldn't mind getting one of these myself; i've read that the OG are fuller sounding and not as 'sweet' as the BB but i've never had a chance to test them side by side.

btw, thnx for the pix.

I sent you a PM.

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #189 of 412
Quote:

btw, thnx for the pix.

Forgot...yes it is supported by a single post.

Jul 4, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #190 of 412
You should try a 12AU7 ECC802 RAYTHEON BALDWIN with Long Black-plates, it's a great tube :)

Jul 5, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #191 of 412
I'm now on my Amperex 12AT7 tube (West Germany, so probably a Siemens valve) most of the time. Since I got a better DAC the improvement in clarity with this tube is much more obvious, especially on vocals. Have noticed background vocals in songs I didn't realise were there before. On the downside the tube can be a little bright at times, but hopefully it will settle down a bit with burn in. The National 6922 is now my second favourite tube after the Amperex.

Jul 6, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #192 of 412
No secret I am a fan of the 12bh7 / 12bh7a, but I recently have been toying with their less common brother, the 6gu7 which is basically a 6v version. Outstanding tall bottle tube (tall for a mini 9 pin at about 1/2" taller than say a 12au7) and can be had for a couple of bucks per tube. To note, RCA Makes a clear top version.

Jul 7, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #194 of 412
I like 12av7’s in general. Funny as I have a Raytheon I am listening to in a starlight right at this very moment . I do find them noticeably more susceptible to noise than other tubes in certain situations. And yes, prices on all vintage tubes have been on a rapid rise over the last 6-8 months I have noticed. $4-6 tubes are generally now $10-$12. Still a ton of good deals to be had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back