Project Sunrise/PS2 Tube Rolling Thread (and maybe even Project Horizon and Project Ember)
Feb 19, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #78 of 412
Can anyone suggest a 12v tube for Horizon Amp which has very warm, full-bodied, dark-ish signature? Looking for an upgrade over the stock tube (which was in use for 18h only, so maybe its signature will change as well?)

Feb 19, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #79 of 412
Quote:
Can anyone suggest a 12v tube for Horizon Amp which has very warm, full-bodied, dark-ish signature? Looking for an upgrade over the stock tube (which was in use for 18h only, so maybe its signature will change as well?)

Out of the four tubes I have, the 6N23P tube included with the Horizon is closest to that description. I've been waiting for an RFT 12AU7 to make some comparisons but I'm afraid it's gotten lost in the mail.

My headphones are Beyerdynamic DT880 600ohm They have a little brightness in a certain part of the treble and can be fatiguing with certain tubes so that influences my choice. I don't feel I've found the perfect tube for my setup yet.

The Tung Sol 12AX7 would easily be my favorite but combining it with the DT880's is fatiguing due to the treble after an hour if I don't keep the volume low. Not that the tube necessarily has too much treble but that the headphones need just a touch less IMO. I think with a darker sounding headphone the Tung Sol might be perfect. What I like the most about the Tung Sol is that it's the most 3 dimensional sounding tube I have.

Right now I have in a 6N23P-EV that I got from Cryoset.com a week or so ago. It sounds similar to the 6N23P that's included with the Project Horizon but I haven't had the chance to compare them directly since it's recommended to burn it in for 100-200 hours and It's not there yet (still a little fuzzy around the edge of the notes if that makes sense, but improving). Both have a little more bass and a warmer sound than the Tung Sol 12AX7 which means less fatigue  but they don't quite have the 3D quality and maybe just a little less detail.

I also have a TJ Full Music 12AU7. It sounds very similar to the Tung Sol 12AX7 (clear and detailed) but lacks the  3 Dimensional sound.

Hopefully the RFT tube will still arrive. If not maybe I'll try and get another some where.

I got a PM from someone who was asking for my opinions on the Project Horizon and he said that Garage1217 recommended the GE cleartop 12AV7 as very good with the Horizon. Might have to get that one some day too. Trouble is tubing rolling can turn out more expensive than the amp if I'm not careful!

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #80 of 412
Out of the four tubes I have, the 6N23P tube included with the Horizon is closest to that description. I've been waiting for an RFT 12AU7 to make some comparisons but I'm afraid it's gotten lost in the mail

My headphones are Beyerdynamic DT880 600ohm They have a little brightness in a certain part of the treble and can be fatiguing with certain tubes so that influences my choice. I don't feel I've found the perfect tube for my setup yet.

The Tung Sol 12AX7 would easily be my favorite but combining it with the DT880's is fatiguing due to the treble after an hour if I don't keep the volume low. Not that the tube necessarily has too much treble but that the headphones need just a touch less IMO. I think with a darker sounding headphone the Tung Sol might be perfect. What I like the most about the Tung Sol is that it's the most 3 dimensional sounding tube I have.

Right now I have in a 6N23P-EV that I got from Cryoset.com a week or so ago. It sounds similar to the 6N23P that's included with the Project Horizon but I haven't had the chance to compare them directly since it's recommended to burn it in for 100-200 hours and It's not there yet (still a little fuzzy around the edge of the notes if that makes sense, but improving). Both have a little more bass and a warmer sound than the Tung Sol 12AX7 which means less fatigue  but they don't quite have the 3D quality and maybe just a little less detail.

I also have a TJ Full Music 12AU7. It sounds very similar to the Tung Sol 12AX7 (clear and detailed) but lacks the  3 Dimensional sound.

Hopefully the RFT tube will still arrive. If not maybe I'll try and get another some where.

I got a PM from someone who was asking for my opinions on the Project Horizon and he said that Garage1217 recommended the GE cleartop 12AV7 as very good with the Horizon. Might have to get that one some day too. Trouble is tubing rolling can turn out more expensive than the amp if I'm not careful!

If you need warm deep sound you may try Russian 6N1P, it's not in the manuals short list because have increased current consumption (600ma instead 300 ma of 6N23P). But I tested my Horizon about 100 hours with 6N1P and there is no problems, Frans adviced to control temp on the small radiators - it's ok.
With my DT880 600ohm it sounds perfect, I don't want to change it despite the fact that I have a more expensive tubes :))

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #81 of 412
Quote:
If you need warm deep sound you may try Russian 6N1P, it's not in the manuals short list because have increased current consumption (600ma instead 300 ma of 6N23P). But I tested my Horizon about 100 hours with 6N1P and there is no problems, Frans adviced to control temp on the small radiators - it's ok.
With my DT880 600ohm it sounds perfect, I don't want to change it despite the fact that I have a more expensive tubes
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Thanks! I almost bought a 6N1P a couple weeks ago till I checked the tube list and couldn't find it. Might have to experiment. Carefully of course 
size]

Feb 20, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #82 of 412

Quote:
Out of the four tubes I have, the 6N23P tube included with the Horizon is closest to that description. 

Well, then I might give it a try and wait till it burns in. BTW, is it burning in only when I feed sound signal to it or having the amp turned on (with no music playing) is sufficient? How long should I wait for the signature of this tube to fully "arrive" (and how do I know when its time for a replace)?

Feb 20, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #83 of 412
Quote:
Thanks! I almost bought a 6N1P a couple weeks ago till I checked the tube list and couldn't find it. Might have to experiment. Carefully of course 
size]

+1

Also 6N1P-EV and 6N1P, both with gold grids. Both bias and sound real good in my PS2.

Feb 20, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #84 of 412
Quote:
... The Tung Sol 12AX7 would easily be my favorite but combining it with the DT880's is fatiguing due to the treble after an hour if I don't keep the volume low. Not that the tube necessarily has too much treble but that the headphones need just a touch less IMO. I think with a darker sounding headphone the Tung Sol might be perfect. What I like the most about the Tung Sol is that it's the most 3 dimensional sounding tube I have.

while i have not tried it, the t-s 5751 might be worth trying; the lower mu might be the cure for that treble fatigue - hope that the 3-d remains.

Feb 25, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #85 of 412
Over this weekend I have purchased a couple of 6N1P-EVs and tried them with my Horizon. IMO even without the burning in (they are NOS) it is quite an improvement over the stock tubes, at least with my current setup: FiiO E17 Line out -> Horizon -> Sennheiser HD600.

Feb 27, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #87 of 412
  Hi all,
    I just ordered a PS2 over the weekend. Waiting on it to ship. But I have several tube hybrid amps, all low end but I've amassed quite the tube collection. Here are just some of my impressions. Just now getting into posting on here so forgive me if this is noob like cause, well, I'm a noob.
rolleyes.gif

All these were evaluated using beyer dt770 250 ohm. Wanted to keep it simple. Many of these tubes sound better paired with diff cans but not getting into that here. And finally these are opinions, please take them as such.
  In the 12au7 fam my faves are my ken rad 5814, I was guided to these by Nikolay from the tubemazestore on the bay. Great guy. Prices are high but willing to help even if you don't buy. He described them as creamy and I have to agree. I love em 
L3000.gif

Also love my cleartop rca's and especially the rca 6189 triple mica black plates. Clear tops air a bit airy and open with not a whole lotta bottom end. But the black plates have incredible impact for a tube, very dynamic, smooth, real nice tube.
 Mullard labeled philips (gotta know your tube structure folks 
biggrin.gif
) phenomenal mids, wonderful sounstage and an overall tone I can't describe.
 Telefunken ribbed plate. Fantastic. Well ballanced leaning towards the low end. Better descriptions elsewhere on here 
 Chelmer cv4003. Incredible tube. Hard to find. Crystal clear. Stong low end with good extension. Mids are perfect, Highs are bliss.  Many others but these are my faves. Maybe a current production tube??

12AX7  I only have a few but the rca blackplates with D getter r amazing for live recording. Just AMAZING!
  ECC88 Siemens nice and clean. Tight, fast bass. Balanced
  EC88 Mullard  Real nice mids. Haven't listened to this one much yet.

Just got into the 6 volt tubes but here is my list.
  Amperex orange label A frame Dimpled disc 6DJ8 Not bad. A bit grainy but keeps getting better.
  Siemens 6922 WOW! All I can say is wow. Indescribable. Good descriptions on here elsewhere
  Mullard E88CC  Nice balanced tube. Modern rock is fantastic with this one.
I have many, many others but don't wanna bore my way outta here 
wink_face.gif
 I have the most experience with the 12AU7's. Only use the 12AX7's and 6922's in my indeed g3 so far. Maybe they'll sound even better in the PS2. I can't wait

Mar 2, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #88 of 412
Anyone heard the fabled (Joe's Tube Law) 50's Sylvania 5751 black plate, triple mica in a Sunrise?  I am considering trying but they go for around $100 and I don't know if the design of the Sunrise lends itself to use of 5751s.

Mar 3, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #89 of 412
Quote:
Anyone heard the fabled (Joe's Tube Law) 50's Sylvania 5751 black plate, triple mica in a Sunrise?  I am considering trying but they go for around $100 and I don't know if the design of the Sunrise lends itself to use of 5751s.

I have  but not in a sunrise yet. They are nice. Wide soundstage, tight fast low end, nice midrange. A really smooth tube. Opinion based on indeed G3, biased with a pair of dt770 250 ohm. Don't know if I'd pay a hunyun, got mine for $59 plus shipping. Sunrise was spose to be here today but no, I'll have to wait til monday 
frown.gif

regards,
 Mop

Mar 3, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #90 of 412
Thank you stupidmop.  I expect they would perform quite similarly in Sunrise II as the Indeed.

What about Raytheon blackplate windmill getter?  They're about the same price.  Or, something you liked better?

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back